One of the great things about Windows Phone is the ability for users to try out apps before paying (most apps, anyway - it's up to the developer). I just read an observation in another thread that people aren't willing to buy a 99 cent game, but don't mind paying for in-app features. That's because they want to make sure they don't waste money on a crappy app up front. BlackBerry needs to make this a priority. Paid apps should be time- or feature-limited in "Trial Mode"

Z30, Q10
    04-08-15 01:17 AM
    Another "BlackBerry needs to make [..] a priority!!!" thread...I like to have the full app not having to pay for features and levels extra. Developers already have the possibility to put free trials in store and enable in app purchases. No need to force them. If you want free ad-driven apps - go all Android. Just read some reviews before purchase and don't just blindly hit the buy button.
    04-08-15 06:32 AM
    Reading reviews isn't the same as trying out an app. And it's awkward having to create separate versions of apps for this. In a Windows Phone app, you just say something like "if trialmode then...". A lot easier...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 09:52 AM
    By the way, I never said we need to force developers to do anything. We need to give them the option. I think the vast majority of developers would jump at this. As it is now, it's lost money...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 10:00 AM
    I like this idea. Also, the two Bob's are the same person.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 11:02 AM
    Yes, the profile info final caught up...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 11:08 AM
    Isn't that what Freemium already is?

Or are we talking about fully featured, but time-limited apps ...?

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    04-08-15 09:54 PM
    Full-featured but time-limited. I once used a Windows Phone app where the import/export feature was off-limits in trial-mode; how in the world do you know it's coded right unless you can try it out? This is where an in-app purchase model fails (unless the developer manually codes time-limits, and we know how easy it is for pirates to hack apps that do this). An official trial-mode would give developers an easy way to offer feature-full versions without having to resort to ads...
    04-09-15 02:31 AM
    Another "BlackBerry needs to make [..] a priority!!!" thread...I like to have the full app not having to pay for features and levels extra. Developers already have the possibility to put free trials in store and enable in app purchases. No need to force them. If you want free ad-driven apps - go all Android. Just read some reviews before purchase and don't just blindly hit the buy button.
    For somebody to put review, somebody has to buy it. If nobody buy and no reviews been put, how do you gona understand. Stop behaving like a kid. I obviously like and support OP's suggestion. It would be good when every app is available for a limited trial say 2 or 3 days but with full option (would be sooper good) and only one time for one BlackBerry ID. In that way people can know for what they are paying. They dont have to pay upfront for a sucker app and be a looser.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 05:59 AM
    Reading reviews isn't the same as trying out an app. And it's awkward having to create separate versions of apps for this. In a Windows Phone app, you just say something like "if trialmode then...". A lot easier...

Posted via CB10
    Definitely, it's a pain, then you get the bad reviewers, I had one lately, moaning that it used the camera permission, when if they had bothered to read the description and the permission popup they would see it was the access the Camera flash, people can be so arrogant, no developer in their right mind would stay if they got that on a regular basis
    04-09-15 06:10 AM
    Like Billy the Kid or Kid Kid?!

For somebody to put review, somebody has to buy it. If nobody buy and no reviews been put, how do you gona understand. Stop behaving like a kid.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 06:21 AM
    I'd appreciate trial versions of more costly apps. There is a music player app going for about 4. The reviews are good and some even go into more detail than simply saying "great app!". It's rammed full of features, particularly for fine tuning.

The reason i'd still like a trial is because it's something i'd be using on a daily basis and i'd like to get a feel for the interface which is what's important for me. Though as it's a developer's prerogative and not something BlackBerry World could impose it's not such an easy thing to encourage if the money is rolling in for them without having to provide such an option.

Dispensed via Q10 ----{\\\\|=[
    04-12-15 12:39 PM