If Microsoft can do it with the Lumia 435, why can't Blackberry do likewise with an entry-level phone?

This would be marketed at students, twenty-somethings and small businesses, with Face10 and Snap installed as standard, alongside the rest of the BB10 suite. It would be cheap, cheerful and great value.

Discuss.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 11:03 AM
    W10 can run on a hell of a lot worse Hardware than BB10 can, remember it's not a light OS anymore.

Then there's Snap, access to Play Store without Google's permission.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-07-16 11:05 AM
    If Microsoft can do it with the Lumia 435, why can't Blackberry do likewise with an entry-level phone?
    Oh, so many reasons.

How's these for a start:

1. BB couldn't source the parts and turn a profit on a $75 phone.
    2. BB is done with BB10, and so is "the world" or it wouldn't have a 0.2% market share.
    3. Customers want the (real) Apps their friends use, not similar Apps, or "Cobolt'ed" Android Apps.
    4. Including the Android RT in a new BB10 phone would probably upset Google, and jeopardise their Android phone venture.
    5. On cheap hardware & limited RAM, BB10+Android RT would run like a 3-legged dog.
    6. BB's idea of "entry-level" differs from most everyone else - the Leap was their idea of entry-level - it cost $275 at launch.
    7. MS have money to burn and can run the phone division at a loss if need be.
    04-07-16 01:33 PM
    Face10 and Snap installed as standard
    Legal issues...
    app_Developer and web99 like this.
    04-07-16 01:34 PM
    Lots of pessimism here. How about ideas for how it can be realised rather than the usual "we're DOOOOMED!" Crackberry forum messages?

Also, if Snap is illegal, why hasn't it been shut down by the Google deathsquad?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 07:23 PM
    W10 can run on a hell of a lot worse Hardware than BB10 can, remember it's not a light OS anymore.

Then there's Snap, access to Play Store without Google's permission.
    Oh please, even wp8.1 are ditching the old snapdragon s4 in 2014/2015 while blackberry still being the classic onto the table. Not to mention w10m cut loose the support to the whole s4-powered device. A lot worse hardware? Time to receive some OTA update from real world please.
    04-07-16 07:45 PM
    Lots of pessimism here. How about ideas for how it can be realised rather than the usual "we're DOOOOMED!" Crackberry forum messages?
    Because "we're DOOOOMED!" is the reality of the situation?

Also, if Snap is illegal, why hasn't it been shut down by the Google deathsquad?
    Jim Muir probably isn't making much money from Snap, but BlackBerry bundling it with phones means that they are directly selling unauthorized access to the Play Store, which will get the attack lawyers howling.
    JeepBB, Elephant_Canyon and web99 like this.
    04-07-16 11:03 PM
    Oh please, even wp8.1 are ditching the old snapdragon s4 in 2014/2015 while blackberry still being the classic onto the table. Not to mention w10m cut loose the support to the whole s4-powered device. A lot worse hardware? Time to receive some OTA update from real world please.
    The Lumia 435 has a Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 and runs fine
    The BlackBerry Classic has a Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait

Run a test and see which device runs better for the price and hardware...

Like I said, BB10 is too heavy.
    04-08-16 04:29 AM
    Because "we're DOOOOMED!" is the reality of the situation?
    Well why not just go off and get an iPhone or a suave little Android number then? Spare yourself the agony.

Jim Muir probably isn't making much money from Snap, but BlackBerry bundling it with phones means that they are directly selling unauthorized access to the Play Store, which will get the attack lawyers howling.
    So give Google a cut of the action then. Either way, we're buying apps from them and not Blackberry World.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 08:26 AM
    So give Google a cut of the action then. Either way, we're buying apps from them and not Blackberry World.

Posted via CB10
    Well, since you seem pretty confident in this plan, how might you go about convincing Google to bend over backwards and put in Google Play Services and the Google Play Store in some dying, foreign OS because not doing so would hurt the fee-fees of a handful of contrarians?

Especially since BlackBerry have to jump on Google's command if they want to keep their new Android devices in order.
    04-08-16 10:14 AM
    Because it's so much easier to whinge and complain on the periphery instead. Again, I ask, if you think it is so pointless, why are you here anyway?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 12:53 PM
    Because it's so much easier to whinge and complain on the periphery instead. Again, I ask, if you think it is so pointless, why are you here anyway?

Posted via CB10
    Because I still use a BlackBerry phone?

I'm not happy that BlackBerry is on the way out of devices, but I'm not deluding myself that they can pull themselves back in, either.
    Jerry A likes this.
    04-08-16 01:34 PM
    Because I still use a BlackBerry phone?

I'm not happy that BlackBerry is on the way out of devices, but I'm not deluding myself that they can pull themselves back in, either.
    In other words, having your cake and eating it.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 08:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    http://impossiblehq.com/50-impossible-quotes/

Yeah, get some inspiration, guys... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-12-16 03:14 PM
    BlackBerry should forget about entry level phones, better still they should forget, for the time being, about the consumer market. They tried entry level with the Z3 and the Leap and both flopped. Actually most of the phones they released since the introduction of the IPhone have more or less flopped.

The truth is BlackBerry needs to examine their market and determine which segments of it are still profitable and developed sell phone to them. The consumer market is too fickle. Focus should rather be on the enterprise market which tends to have longer term loyalty.

BlackBerry should just focus on a few very good devices for the enterprise market but also make them available to the general public that would want the too. I suggest they develop about 5 devices only, 2 high end devices - one full touch and one keyboard, 2 mid range devices one touch and one keyboard, and a 7 or 10 inch tablet. These devices should run on BB10 without the android runtime. It's time BlackBerry just stuck to its guns and demanded all apps be native

BB10 or Nothing! BlackBerry Forever!
    04-14-16 06:32 AM

This would be marketed at students, twenty-somethings and small businesses
    None of my students want or use a cheap piece of junk.

, with Face10 and Snap installed as standard, alongside the rest of the BB10 suite. It would be cheap, cheerful and great value.

Discuss.
    Yes BBRY launching a phone that has an app build use that uses a hacked API from another company would end well... for the lawyers of facebook.
    JeepBB and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    04-14-16 06:36 AM
    http://impossiblehq.com/50-impossible-quotes/

Yeah, get some inspiration, guys... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Not the same thing. To follow this model, BlackBerry would need to reverse engineer the various components that make up a smartphone ecosystem.

That would be akin to them creating a competitor to Google Play Store and somehow convincing everyone to jump aboard.

They tried that and failed.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-14-16 06:42 AM