So I was wondering how BlackBerry could increase awareness with their brand and has anyone ever thought about creating a display like the DROID displays in Verizon, the Apple displays in almost EVERY store, and the new Samsung display in BestBuy.

I think a simple, sophisticated BlackBerry display could really catch the eye in a carriers store. People would see the giant BlackBerry letters on the wall and at least know it's there. It won't force people to buy it but it's definitely a start for increasing awareness. Especially now that BlackBerry has a whole new line of devices. The Q10, Z10, Q5, A10, etc.

This isn't a groundbreaking idea i'm just curious why BlackBerry didn't do this while almost every other manufacturer that has multiple devices does it

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 08:40 AM
    So I was wondering how BlackBerry could increase awareness with their brand and has anyone ever thought about creating a display like the DROID displays in Verizon, the Apple displays in almost EVERY store, and the new Samsung display in BestBuy.

I think a simple, sophisticated BlackBerry display could really catch the eye in a carriers store. People would see the giant BlackBerry letters on the wall and at least know it's there. It won't force people to buy it but it's definitely a start for increasing awareness. Especially now that BlackBerry has a whole new line of devices. The Q10, Z10, Q5, A10, etc.

This isn't a groundbreaking idea i'm just curious why BlackBerry didn't do this while almost every other manufacturer that has multiple devices does it

Posted via CB10
    The last, or only, large display that I remember at carrier stores was the Torch display, for the 9800. Right now all I see are a couple of BlackBerry devices tucked in the back with no attention or fanfare. Even with the release of the BB10 devices, particularly so at AT&T. There was nothing, really.

Agreed.....better displays in carrier stores are needed. Heck, ANY kind of advert.
    08-18-13 08:45 AM
    It would be nice. One of the carrier stores I visit here in CT has their display setup baased on what sells the most / they push more readily. The store is set up this way:

Wall left of entrance - 1st 40% is all iPhone devices, 40% is accessories, remaining 20% is ancillary supplies and equipment (mobile WiFi and such).
    Wall right of entrance - 1st 60% is all Android devices, next 30% is feature phones and prepaid devices, remaining 10% (THAT'S RIGHT!!, I said TEN percent) is BlackBerry.

It is as if they carry them grudgingly.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-18-13 at 09:05 AM.
    08-18-13 08:54 AM
    Exactly. They kinda hide the BlackBerry's between devices. At the store in my area it's all Droid's, iPhone, Samsung's, then a bunch of cheap LG and Nokia phones, and the BlackBerry is tucked between those.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 08:58 AM
    I think BlackBerry is going to be one of the companies that no one will ever figure out why they did/do the things they do/did.......
    08-18-13 09:01 AM
    i'm from Rochester, NY, the home of Kodak, and I saw the same thing happen to them. It's sad really

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 09:08 AM
    Gotta pay to play. BestBuy is a great example. First Apple set up a dedicated area, then Samsung and now Microsoft.
    Is BlackBerry willing to pay for it? Would BestBuy entertain it? BBRY management would have to tap into their major remaining asset - the $3.1bn sitting around in Mr. Heins mattress. And that is not happening now when the cash can be used as part of a strategic realignment or whatever they want to call a sale.

And before you complain about BestBuy (yes, they screwed up royally), it is a very good example of change.

Before someone says "BestBuy Sux", in January 2012, BestBuy stock was at $22. BBRY was at $16. That is when TH took over as CEO.

BestBuy (BBY) is now at $30 and BBRY is at $10.51.
    21stNow likes this.
    08-18-13 09:24 AM
    @njblackberry: None of that is really relevant as no one is saying that BlackBerry itself is not part of the problem. Nor is anyone condemning the stores for how they have set up their displays. Nor is anyone saying anyone sucks or making an issue of stock prices, CEO performance or the rest.

I think the point is / was that people just wish that BlackBerry had a better in store presence regardless of what it takes to make that happen.
    08-18-13 09:43 AM
    And I am suggesting that they would have to pay for it and they either aren't, can't or wont.

I am also disappointed in their presence. Or lack thereof.

This wasn't a shot at BBRY - but I knew when BestBuy got mentioned it would be used as a comparison so I shut that down.
    08-18-13 09:47 AM
    I am also disappointed in their presence. Or lack thereof.

This wasn't a shot at BBRY - but I knew when BestBuy got mentioned it would be used as a comparison so I shut that down.
    You give far too much credit to your level of perspicacity...and "conversational omnipotence"
    08-18-13 10:01 AM
    You understate the ability and desire of some to deflect blame and responsibility
    08-18-13 10:03 AM
    Really do not know why they were so hesitant to invest some of their cash pile. FFS even Nokia has been spending their money and now they are in a better position than BB.
    08-18-13 10:44 AM
    *quickly adds perspicacity to list of fave words below lackadaisical*

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    08-18-13 10:46 AM
    Never thought I would say this (but I saw it with my own eyes yesterday): Walmart at Kenaston Crossing in Winnipeg had a BlackBerry display that was just as prominent as the iFruit and dRoid offerings. Plus, it was the only display that was actually lit up and caught my eye from far away.

Now anyone that knows the area knows that it's a little more affluent than some of the other areas in the city (so the target demographic is more professional people), but still... Kudos to them for allowing people to have REAL choice.

Now I'm curious ... I have to go to St Vital and see what theirs looks like.
    08-18-13 11:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    This is how it is..Apple tells the carriers you can carry our phone if you sell at least this XX amount of phones per year or you cannot carry it - the carrier needs to carry it because customers want it, then they have to spotlight the phone in all their stores to meet the selling quota or they will have to pay Apple huge penalties. Blackberry does not have the selling numbers to make such deal so they are at the mercy of carriers.
    08-18-13 12:23 PM
    It would be nice. One of the carrier stores I visit here in CT has their display setup baased on what sells the most / they push more readily. The store is set up this way:

Wall left of entrance - 1st 40% is all iPhone devices, 40% is accessories, remaining 20% is ancillary supplies and equipment (mobile WiFi and such).
    Wall right of entrance - 1st 60% is all Android devices, next 30% is feature phones and prepaid devices, remaining 10% (THAT'S RIGHT!!, I said TEN percent) is BlackBerry.

It is as if they carry them grudgingly.
    Based on their sales and market share, that sounds fitting.
    08-18-13 12:24 PM
    I was never comparing it to BestBuy. I was just using it as an example as a retailer that has small displays for manufacturers

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 12:38 PM
    You understate the ability and desire of some to deflect blame and responsibility
    Nobody was blaming anyone else. It's BLACKBERRY'S fault and I understand they have to PAY. I was just saying if I was BlackBerry I would have tried to get displays in all stores to increase awareness.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 12:39 PM
    You missed my point - other manufacturers have already done this. They bought space inside BestBuy. Why not BBRY?
    08-18-13 12:45 PM
    No idea. Prolly cause they're broke. That's why I made the thread haha

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 01:05 PM
    They had $3.1bn in the bank last quarter
    08-18-13 01:23 PM
    In Canada, the BB10 section is prominent in most of the carriers' store and BestBuy. That's why BB10 has more traction than in the States.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 01:29 PM