By Justin Lloyd-Miller | More Articles
    August 13, 2013

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY): Shares of BlackBerry are continuing their run as news that Alberta Investment Management would invest in the company were phone maker to go private. �It�s early days,� Alberta CEO Leo De Bever said to Bloomberg. �No one has approached us with anything that is baked.� The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board has also expressed interest in BlackBerry if the smartphone maker were to take itself off the public exchanges.

Source:
    BP Demands Ban Relief, BlackBerry
    08-15-13 01:38 PM
    I hope they go private

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 01:46 PM
    I hope they go private

Posted via CB10
    ditto, just to take some investor spotlight off the company and less noise distracting the company from making profits and selling products. the way i see it with all this BlackBerry bashing going on in the mediaeven the board must in the back of their mind start to feel that this is whats happening pulling them away from the job at hand.

some may think that going private is not the best thing but there is constant attacks at the company d the brand that in some way it seems that everyone is being pushed to think that there is nothing but failure in the future of the company with the company being in the dark i feel the top levels can forget abotu all the bull**** going on in the news and just hunker down and focus on building top notch devices that they can market and push out once again to the consumer market
    SK122387 likes this.
    08-15-13 03:29 PM
    Ooohh.....this may tempt BB and possibly Fairfax to more heavily consider privatizing. Let BB grow then become public again.
    SK122387 likes this.
    08-15-13 03:31 PM
    Ooohh.....this may tempt BB and possibly Fairfax to more heavily consider privatizing. Let BB grow then become public again.
    You do realize that if your prediction or dream comes true there will be significantly more workforce reductions and product development contractions in an effort to improve, from an accounting perspective, the balance sheet. Right, Godfather?
    08-15-13 10:20 PM
    You do realize that if your prediction or dream comes true there will be significantly more workforce reductions and product development contractions in an effort to improve, from an accounting perspective, the balance sheet. Right, Godfather?
    Welcome to the wonderful world of business. You have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you keep your ignorance and snark to yourself, chief. You don't know who will invest or how much if they go private, so you can't say what will happen for sure. Lean back in that arm chair and go play executive in the sand box with the other children.
    08-15-13 11:07 PM
    Right. I mean how likely is it that once blackberry is privately owned,...it won't simply be hacked up and sold off for a profit? It's individual parts are likely worth more money than continuing in the space they're in with a snowball's chance of competing.
    08-15-13 11:16 PM
    Welcome to the wonderful world of business. You have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you keep your ignorance and snark to yourself, chief. You don't know who will invest or how much if they go private, so you can't say what will happen for sure. Lean back in that arm chair and go play executive in the sand box with the other children.
    Hey "chief," you need to take a long, sober look at the situation.
    08-15-13 11:17 PM
    Hey "chief," you need to take a long, sober look at the situation.
    He says to a BMA major at an internationally ranked university.

You must really have a great understanding of how it works with all that non-existent substance in your post.
    08-15-13 11:47 PM

You must really have a great understanding of how it works with all that non-existent substance in your post.
    We're all impressed, but that doesn't mean you can flip out.

Where is the respect these days?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 11:52 PM
    We're all impressed, but that doesn't mean you can flip out.

Where is the respect these days?

Posted via CB10
    IDK, where was it in qwerty's post? Just because he chose to mask his snark in undertone does not make it OK. Or in chocky's post? Do two wrongs (or three in this case) make a right?
    08-15-13 11:55 PM

Oh you're still a college student! That's cute. I'm talking about the realistic probability son. If you see it differently, please elaborate.
    08-15-13 11:57 PM
    IDK, where was it in qwerty's post? Just because he chose to mask his snark in undertone does not make it OK. Or in chocky's post? Do two wrongs (or three in this case) make a right?
    I didn't mean the respect thing to be directed to you. All of yall be hatin' on each otha.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 11:57 PM
    I didn't mean the respect thing to be directed to you. All of yall be hatin' on each otha.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's evident thus far some members choose to have none.

Chocky, I'm sure your credentials surpass mine endlessly. Interesting how you've chosen to neglect mentioning them. I have already elaborated, further than you. I need not prove anything to anyone here. If you would like to live in a world that is black and white, feel free.
    08-16-13 12:02 AM
    I asked a very specific question guy.

And as far as "credentials" *ahem*, it's generally more telling that someone mentions theirs at all, rather than engaging the subject at hand. But that's a lesson typically learned in the real world.
    08-16-13 12:21 AM
    Your snark is no more appreciated though more telling of character than someone mentioning pertinent credentials, of which it appears you have none. Certainly none comparable. I wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions about my background, I own a business, stock, manage a musical artist and dabble in a few other things. Anyhow, why is it more likely that BlackBerry won't be scrapped?

Simple. Is Apple worth more now as a whole or parted out? IBM? Right now, it may be profitable in the short term, but in the long run, it's exceedingly less so. This is something you won't only know if you knew anything about business. Companies who only look at the short term fail. GM, BlackBerry, Etc. When Apple was facing collapse it was considerably more money parted out than as a whole, but since then it has multiplied in value so much we would be talking fractions of value comparing the two times. Anyone who wants to make enough money to justify buying out BlackBerry post taxes and such will not be parting it out. They will seek a turnaround because that's where the money is.

If you can't understand that, the problem lies on your side of the court, not mine.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 12:54 AM
    Notably Apple, IBM, and GM were never bought by third parties after losing the vast majority of their market share. That's a distinction worth noticing isn't it? Funny you mention IBM though. THEY did have to sell their hardware division to Lenovo after performing at BlackBerry levels for a time. And now, many here are waiting with baited breath to hear if Lenovo is going to make an offer for BBRY.

I dunno though. I haven't told any strangers on the Internet that I attend business school. So what can I possibly know?!
    08-16-13 07:52 AM
    I think going private is the best hope for BBRY at this point and if they do I hope the new owner(s) are interested in improving the company's core business and technologies, making them competitive in the marketplace, and not in carving the company up and selling it off in bits. It may well be a mixture of the two strategies however, but at any rate the company will probably become much leaner imo as the new owner implements his business and product strategies.
    Regarding IBM, as an ex IBM'r I will say the company transitioned quite successfully from a hardware/software business to a mix of primarily software and services. I still own stock I bought when I was an employee and frankly it's performed well over the years. At no time was IBM ever on the selling block that I can recall.
    Narbs likes this.
    08-16-13 10:23 AM