IMO BlackBerry should just quit smartphone hardware business and focus on other niches they have, now!

But if they still have the will power and cash to give it another shot, the next experiment they should run is a high end full touch Android flagship.

Uncompromised, all-in, priced at high end, with BlackBerry android app suite as the differentiation factor.

If that doesn't work, nothing will.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    05-02-16 01:44 PM
    Ok boss

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-02-16 01:46 PM
    I'm a bit on the fence over whether they should go High End, or focus on Mid Range until they have matured their Android software suite.

On one hand, releasing a flagship device device before their proprietary apps are mature enough (Hub is getting closer, but could still mature a bit based on common feedback), since the reviews will focus on those apps as a differentiating factor compared to other flagship devices. So they need to be pretty spot on in performance and features. But if the specs and performance are significantly competitive, that may not matter. The Priv was almost there, but the BB apps did receive a bit of scrutiny, and the $700 price tag was a tad higher than other flagship devices. Which didn't help.

On the other hand, reviews for Mid Range devices probably wouldn't focus so much on BB's apps and will likely only compare performance compared to other Mid Range devices.

BBRY is in a position where they need to entice would be customers to purchase their hardware. Pricing their devices competitively (and IMHO slightly undercut even if only by $10) would help. A mid range device a few bones cheaper than the competition may see better results than a flagship device that will see a lot more scrutiny. But if they could produce a flagship device with fully matured software (a full featured hub being built into their launcher instead of a separate app would be huge IMO), that would do wonders for them. Unfortunately , BBRY doesn't have a very solid reputation for pulling off hardware considered Flagship quality.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 05-02-16 at 02:14 PM.
    anon(9353145), FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-16 02:04 PM
    IMO BlackBerry should just quit smartphone hardware business and focus on other niches they have, now!

But if they still have the will power and cash to give it another shot, the next experiment they should run is a high end full touch Android flagship.

Uncompromised, all-in, priced at high end, with BlackBerry android app suite as the differentiation factor.

The PRIV is going to be a midrange device by the end of the year. What's the point of a $500 ROME with the PRIV's specifications? The problem with another Android flagship is BlackBerry can't compete. At best in Nov they would release a Galaxy S7 type device for $150 more than the S7 will be then. The don't have the scale and the don't have the manufacturing ability to compete anymore.

I think they stick with the PRIV and see if Enterprise buys it... or ask their biggest customers what they want.... a $400 phone or a $300 phone. But forget about consumers, flagships and specs.
    JeepBB, bakron1 and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    05-02-16 02:20 PM
    If Priv = Mid Range soon, and proven specs and tech.

then
    a Mid range full touch phone (minus) slide/pkb with same exact spec should yield more profit than producing more Priv at same price.
    a Mid range with PKB (minus) slide with same exact spec should also yield better profit than a Priv.
    05-02-16 02:35 PM
    On one hand, releasing a flagship device device before their proprietary apps are mature enough
    Uncompromised means nothing is compromised.

Mid level devices are a waste of time and resources. If Priv won't sell, mid level devices won't sell neither.

Save the resource to perfect BlackBerry 's software and next gen hardware.

05-02-16 07:23 PM
    Chen said their enterprise clients where asking for a cheaper Android device and I would think this would be their focus right now, but who knows with this company.
    05-02-16 07:34 PM
    Chen said their enterprise clients where asking for a cheaper Android device and I would think this would be their focus right now, but who knows with this company.
    Their enterprise clients said: Priv is too expensive.

BlackBerry takes it: they need cheaper phones.

Their enterprise client bought iPhone instead.

05-02-16 07:37 PM

I see a lot of business folks using iPhone 5 series devices here in the USA and your probably right on that one.
    05-02-16 07:49 PM

I wonder what Prem Watsa thinks about John Chen doing market experiments with his cash. How about declaring that "nothing will" and putting that billion dollars towards something less likely to be flushed down the toilet. The high-end smartphone market has peaked and Apple, Samsung, and a few others are tearing apart one carcass and you want BlackBerry to jump in there for what?
    JulesDB likes this.
    05-02-16 08:04 PM
    I wonder what Prem Watsa thinks about John Chen doing market experiments with his cash. How about declaring that "nothing will" and putting that billion dollars towards something less likely to be flushed down the toilet. The high-end smartphone market has peaked and Apple, Samsung, and a few others are tearing apart one carcass and you want BlackBerry to jump in there for what?
    Read the first sentence of OP.

05-02-16 08:29 PM
    I see a lot of business folks using iPhone 5 series devices here in the USA and your probably right on that one.
    I see the same trend.

05-02-16 08:30 PM

Right. Enterprise doesn't want a mid-grade phone, they want a high-end phone that's priced in line with other high-end phones. The Priv launched with a next-to-top-of-the-line SoC - but it did so 6 or 7 months into that SoC's product cycle, and by the time it hit all carriers, it was a generation behind - at yet was still priced $100 more than a comparable iPhone or Galaxy S.

What Enterprise was telling BB is that they aren't willing to pay a premium for BB. They're willing to buy the Priv or other flagship device, but only at a price that's competitive (i.e., the same or less) as a similar iPhone or Galaxy.

Unfortunately, BB can't make enough money doing that, so Chen is trying to go "mid-grade" to solve that problem. IMO, it won't work - Enterprise buyers aren't stupid, and they'd rather have a flagship device, and can get one from the competition at a reasonable price. BB is in a no-win situation, and the OS on the phone doesn't matter at this point. BB let their brand image and their marketshare drop so low that they simply can't be competitive. I'm pretty surprised that Chen can't see that - or maybe the board is insisting on "one last try"?
    JulesDB, bakron1, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    05-02-16 11:59 PM
    That's why the SE?

:')

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-03-16 01:17 AM
    BB let their brand image and their marketshare drop so low that they simply can't be competitive. I'm pretty surprised that Chen can't see that - or maybe the board is insisting on "one last try"?
    Prem wants some ROI on the ploy... ;-P

05-03-16 01:19 AM
    The PRIV is going to be a midrange device by the end of the year. What's the point of a $500 ROME with the PRIV's specifications? The problem with another Android flagship is BlackBerry can't compete. At best in Nov they would release a Galaxy S7 type device for $150 more than the S7 will be then. The don't have the scale and the don't have the manufacturing ability to compete anymore.

I think they stick with the PRIV and see if Enterprise buys it... or ask their biggest customers what they want.... a $400 phone or a $300 phone. But forget about consumers, flagships and specs.
    Enterprise are not buying the PRIV. Like all buyers they want an all touch phone. There are few who are willing to pay extra for a PKB.

I think that Enterprise buyers are mainly interested in lowering their monthly bills. If I was in IT I would be concerned with the durability of the phone. I would suspect that a slider or any PKB might be less durable.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 01:33 AM
    If Chen needs a phone he knows he can sell, give millions of existing Blackberry users an upgrade -- the Z50: Passport specs in an all-touch BB10. This would far outsell his last two Android devices that will get chewed up like the Australian soldiers under fire from German machine guns in Gallipolli.

What is the point of releasing more Android devices?
    05-03-16 03:47 AM
    That's why the SE?

Exactly, Apple took an older model that was popular and updated the processor and screen and priced it where the enterprise folks and consumers looking for a nice mid range device would look at it. And guess what! It's selling like hotcakes!

Blackberry could have done the same dam thing with the z30 on the Android front and priced it to be competitive. But, as usual they are late to the race and complacency seems to be the norm in the company.
    05-03-16 04:18 AM
    That's why the SE?

Probably.
    05-03-16 08:23 AM
    Probably.
    Also because a certain percentage of the population just can't use bigger phones, and certain percentage of the population prefer this single-hand friendly form factor.

My wife's 2 iPhone 5s (personal and work) are still working like a champ... faster than my Passport on some apps, and her workplace has been issuing iPhone 6 (or maybe 6s?) since last year.

05-03-16 08:43 AM
    This is why a real 9900 running Android might not be such a bad idea. It would have to have a screen size that is Android compliant on a device that is about the same size as a Q10 or 9900.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 08:59 AM
    This is why a real 9900 running Android might not be such a bad idea. It would have to have a screen size that is Android compliant on a device that is about the same size as a Q10 or 9900.

Posted via CB10
    The moment you put a physical keyboard on a smartphone, it automatically reduce your audience to a niche. Putting BlackBerry logo on it turns to have the same effects.

And when you do both... do you have to do both?

Marketing is brain chemistry, not logic.

Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    05-03-16 09:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Some still miss their Curves....

But I love my 5.4" screen for browsing the web, reading books or watching a video. But yes for communications it's just not an easy to use one handed.

The problem is giving each user what they really want. I look at Apple, and ignoring the different memory sizes, different colors and different bands/frequencies. They have five different devices currently available to users to try and meet as wide a customer base as possible with midrange to high end price points.

That's five different designs and price points.... for BlackBerry and their PKB fetish, that would be 10 different designs and price points. Kinda shows the difficulty in meeting the "wants" of different users with just two or three devcies.

But what is really sad... is by far the loudest cry I've heard on CrackBerry has been for a flagship all touch. And BlackBerry has ignored that cry for the last four years. Now for many the PRIV did meet that desire... but at a price.
    05-03-16 09:33 AM
    Some still miss their Curves....

But I love my 5.4" screen for browsing the web, reading books or watching a video. But yes for communications it's just not an easy to use one handed.

The problem is giving each user what they really want. I look at Apple, and ignoring the different memory sizes, different colors and different bands/frequencies. They have five different devices currently available to users to try and meet as wide a customer base as possible with midrange to high end price points.

That's five different designs and price points.... for BlackBerry and their PKB fetish, that would be 10 different designs and price points. Kinda shows the difficulty in meeting the "wants" of different users with just two or three devcies.

But what is really sad... is by far the loudest cry I've heard on CrackBerry has been for a flagship all touch. And BlackBerry has ignored that cry for the last four years. Now for many the PRIV did meet that desire... but at a price.
    I agree that an all touch phone Android about the same external size as a S7 would be the most popular. The second most popular would be the larger screened Android PKB. If these two could share internals then the costs of production could be lower.
    05-03-16 11:16 AM
    Now for many the PRIV did meet that desire... but at a price
    Of the added keyboard and slider mechanism, which then comes with downgraded build quality, front facing camera, overhead software, and the lost opportunity to utilize the room and budget for something else.

05-03-16 02:49 PM
51 123