On my way to work this morning I was listening to the Android Central podcast where Phil from AC and Rene from iMore were discussing Android Auto and Car Play along with a very interesting insider Sam Abuelsamid. They spoke of where car integration with phones have been and where it is going, and the only mention of anything QNX was that Android Auto and Car Play can run on top of QNX.

As I thought about this more and more a thought came crashing down on me and I want to share it here in the Armchair CEO forum as something I think the current BlackBerry CEO needs to address and sooner rather than later.

I have long been an advocate that in a large way, the belief here in the USA that "BlackBerry is dead" is often fed by the advertisements for the most popular apps. When you see a TV or print ad for any of the popular apps, there is always the requisite "Download on the App Store (Apple logo)" and "Get it on Google Play" with rarely a mention of BlackBerry App World.

Soon now, car manufacturers are going to start releasing the new models and with the next releases we are expecting large scale Car Play and/or Android Auto integration/compatibility. Now we all who are regulars here know that in many manufacturers new releases including Ford, Audi and more that Car Play/Android Auto will run on top of BlackBerry's wonderful QNX backbone. What is missing from this is where is BlackBerry's equivalent to Car Play and Android Auto?????

Considering QNX's wonderful Car2 platform, this should be an easy thing for BlackBerry to get and they absolutely need it now. Few outside of these forums know that QNX = BlackBerry and as such, BlackBerry need their own "Car Play/Andoid Auto" or risk yet again failing to remind buyers they remain an viable platform and that integration with the car's systems is at least on par with those 2 and here's they best part - why shouldn't it be even better considering the head start QNX has here?

To me, this should be self evident and I am hoping that come MWC in a few days when JC shows the road map for BlackBerry he includes "BlackBerry in the car" or something with a really catching name that blows us all away, but at least is on a par with what Google and Apple are now about to roll out, and that they have car manufacturers on board with showing "BlackBerry in the car" along with the Car Play and Android Auto logos in their advertising.
    02-27-15 09:09 AM
    With 0.4% of the smartphone market, BlackBerry may have a hard time convincing car manufacturers to make supporting Blackberry a priority. They are probably going to ask if they should support Windows Phone first. Automobile companies are probably savvy enough to know when BlackBerry leveraging QNX in their vehicles.
    02-27-15 10:01 AM
    BRANDING....

Google and Apple have brands that are recognizable and valuable. QNX means nothing to an end users and BlackBerry brings up a very negative image in people's minds. Plan and simple no car manufacturer wants their cars to be associated with anything "BlackBerry".

Also considering the fact that BlackBerry has almost no 3rd party developer support... not sure that BlackBerry could bring what manufacturers want.
    02-27-15 10:29 AM
    All very negative, but unfortunately a true reflection of the real world view.

In Branding and publicity terms against the other two, BB has already "missed the boat", BUT, would it not be far more effective to ensure BlackBerry compatibility is simply hard-wired straight into QNX, and thus ever-present?

Any BB device could then just be "detected" as soon as the driver approaches, or indeed be part of the secure entry & start system - Blend and Virtual Assistant could take over from there.

There is another big BUT looming, and that is the one that asks who actually stores their music collection on a BB?

We have ours as secure tools to get business done with, but for most Apple and Android owners it's all about pictures, games, and music - that's what they want in their cars too
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-27-15 11:25 AM
    They don't even enable their own phones to leverage it. Still no Mirrorlink support in BlackBerry. So BlackBerry says how great QNX is and how great QNX devices interact with each other, but they don't put any effort into making their own phones work better with QNX systems.

Posted via CB10
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-27-15 12:52 PM
    All very negative, but unfortunately a true reflection of the real world view.

In Branding and publicity terms against the other two, BB has already "missed the boat", BUT, would it not be far more effective to ensure BlackBerry compatibility is simply hard-wired straight into QNX, and thus ever-present?

Any BB device could then just be "detected" as soon as the driver approaches, or indeed be part of the secure entry & start system - Blend and Virtual Assistant could take over from there.

There is another big BUT looming, and that is the one that asks who actually stores their music collection on a BB?

We have ours as secure tools to get business done with, but for most Apple and Android owners it's all about pictures, games, and music - that's what they want in their cars too
    Car manufacturers do customize the GUI, air interface, and system level interaction. QNX is just the kernel and OS portion of it.
    There are very strict interaction models defined for all the infotainment system. I don't think putting a backdoor against the car manufacturer wishes is a good way to promote QNX and/or BBRY. They pretty much don't want any other behaviors outside of standard blutooth interaction for phone integration.
    02-27-15 05:48 PM
    I thank you all for your considered replies.

While some of the auto manufacturers are offering their systems with only one, a great many will be offering both choices. If you listen to the podcast I mentioned above, the industry expert says that when you plug in your phone the system will then display an icon to offer the choice to boot into Android Auto for an Android phone or Car Play for an iPhone.

I know that BlackBerry does not have the cache they had back in 2007 but every car manufacturer wants to sell every car they can. Since its not a zero sum game, offering BlackBerry does not preclude offering the other 2 (for those offering 2 what is the difference in offering 3) and since QNX is the backbone of so many of the existing systems and the ones to come with these 2, why can't it be 3? Or even 4 when and if Windows Phone gets their act together?

This becomes a chicken/egg discussion. What I know for certain is that BlackBerry's disdain for apps lead in some part to where they are today. The "we need tools not toys' folks didn't understand where smartphones were going and have had to do an incredible amount of work to keep that 0.5%. Allowing Car Play and Android Auto to dominate this space IMHO is just another instance where BlackBerry would be making a huge mistake.

Considering QNX's position here, why could not BlackBerry offer the BlackBerry Auto equivalent free with every QNX system, to run in the background and only used when needed just as Car Play and Android Auto do?

As to what BlackBerry could offer, they have their own Assistant, their own Maps, TuneIn works natively on BlackBerry, obviously whatever texting features are in AA or CP would follow to BlackBerry easily. Companies offer cars to their employees, aren't there services that BlackBerry could offer to these employees that could be a tool, such as calendar access, meeting reminders. Ability like GNow to remind you that you have a meeting at 4 cross town and if you are going to make it considering the traffic right now, you better get going...

What I do know that doing nothing cedes yet another space to the big 2. I just don't think BlackBerry should do that, ESPECIALLY considering QNX. (though lnichols you hit a home run with your comment and it leaves me speechless as to why its so)
    02-27-15 06:35 PM
    Likely one of the answers is that it would take BB 2-3 years to get a v1.0 version of "BB Car Play" going, and that would require developers that they don't have (or aren't free for that task), so they'd need to increase their head-count. BB has cut quite deep, and they're kind of running on a skeleton crew right now as it is, so any new software initiatives would require significant investment and new FTE positions that they probably can't afford.

Plus, keep in mind that BB is currently 0.4% of the market worldwide, and many of BB's customers live in places where no one is buying cars with entertainment systems. Car manufacturers likely feel pretty comfortable limiting their BB support to standard BlueTooth phone and music profiles - where will those 0.4% BB users go if, say, Toyota doesn't offer enhanced support of their phone? It's not like they can go to Honda or Nissan or Volkswagen to get it either, so they aren't any weaker than their competition, and, honestly, don't you think they care more about the 90+% of the market than catering to the <1%?

Low marketshare means low support. We've always known this, yet BB has long been in denial about this fact - if they truly understood it, they'd have been working on BB10 since 2007, and by 2010, when they finally decided to start working on a new OS to replace BBOS, it was insane that they didn't adopt Android. Yes, I know and understand BB10's advantages for BB and for security, but none of that matters if BB's hardware business withers to nothing and is discontinued, does it? Plenty of people, including myself, saw that as the ultimate outcome when BB announced the purchase of QNX ("it's the ECOSYSTEM, stupid!"), but BB has never been shy about making smart technical decisions that were also stupid business decisions. That's what happens when you let an engineer run the business.
    02-27-15 07:30 PM
    Likely one of the answers is that it would take BB 2-3 years to get a v1.0 version of "BB Car Play" going, and that would require developers that they don't have (or aren't free for that task), so they'd need to increase their head-count. BB has cut quite deep, and they're kind of running on a skeleton crew right now as it is, so any new software initiatives would require significant investment and new FTE positions that they probably can't afford.

Plus, keep in mind that BB is currently 0.4% of the market worldwide, and many of BB's customers live in places where no one is buying cars with entertainment systems. Car manufacturers likely feel pretty comfortable limiting their BB support to standard BlueTooth phone and music profiles - where will those 0.4% BB users go if, say, Toyota doesn't offer enhanced support of their phone? It's not like they can go to Honda or Nissan or Volkswagen to get it either, so they aren't any weaker than their competition, and, honestly, don't you think they care more about the 90+% of the market than catering to the <1%?

Low marketshare means low support. We've always known this, yet BB has long been in denial about this fact - if they truly understood it, they'd have been working on BB10 since 2007, and by 2010, when they finally decided to start working on a new OS to replace BBOS, it was insane that they didn't adopt Android. Yes, I know and understand BB10's advantages for BB and for security, but none of that matters if BB's hardware business withers to nothing and is discontinued, does it? Plenty of people, including myself, saw that as the ultimate outcome when BB announced the purchase of QNX ("it's the ECOSYSTEM, stupid!"), but BB has never been shy about making smart technical decisions that were also stupid business decisions. That's what happens when you let an engineer run the business.
    Actually they had it working back with TabletOS in 2011. http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/q...ands-on-video/

Every QNX concept car since then has worked with their phones too. Even BBM Video in the car was shown off. It is sad that they can't get it implemented into a production version of the OS because they would have actually been way ahead of Apple and Google had they pushed it. I don't think it would take them two years, I bet they could have it in 6 months in a 10.3.2 or 10.4 OS. Unfortunately it appears that Chen wants to take the phone OS and hardware back to the old days and could care less about consumer oriented features, even though I can see a big business case for fleet vehicles and phones.

Posted via CB10
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-27-15 07:52 PM
    0.4% Market share is nonsense. BlackBerry has a lot more market share than that figure. This data does not include Enterprise BBRY devices. Via how they get there data.

Without QNX, iOS and Android ain't going to run securely, efficiently and effortlessly. It's a common fact of the matter. They would both crash and re-set if not run via QNX.

Posted by Q5
    02-28-15 12:15 PM
    0.4% Market share is nonsense. BlackBerry has a lot more market share than that figure. This data does not include Enterprise BBRY devices. Via how they get there data.
    If you look at BB's own sales figures compared to, say, the top 30 smartphone vendors worldwide, those figures seem pretty realistic, actually. Of course there are lots more than 30 vendors, but the top 30 have such huge numbers that they alone put BB under 1%. And BB's numbers include all sales: consumer and enterprise.

Without QNX, iOS and Android ain't going to run securely, efficiently and effortlessly. It's a common fact of the matter. They would both crash and re-set if not run via QNX.
    Because QNX is the only stable OS in the entire world, and no other OSs compete in its marketplaces. Riiiiight.

I'm not downing QNX - it is a market leader in cars for good reason, but that reason has more to do with the car-specific software modules that QNX makes available to auto manufacturers that they've developed and refined over the last 10 years, and not simply because the OS is very stable. It is very stable, but it's not the only OS that is. LinuxRT, for example, competes with QNX in many of its markets.

QNX has done excellent work with their car development, and from what I have been able to learn with some research, it's probably the best option on the market, but again, that's mostly due to many years of focus on that market by QNX, from years before they were bought by BB and continuing through today.

But QNX is not BB10, and I think that many people here don't really understand what QNX is - it isn't a smartphone OS, for certain. Rather, it's used as the foundation of BB10, much like a foundation of a house, but as important as a good, solid foundation is, a foundation alone is no where near a complete house. QNX for Cars is also built on the QNX foundation, but that does not necessarily mean that QNX for Cars and BB10 are somehow "better matched" than, say, iOS or Android, because they're built by completely separate teams with completely separate goals to serve a completely separate market.

Plus, the auto makers take the QNX for Cars building blocks and they're the ones who actually create the final builds for their vehicles, so it's the auto makers who decide what goes in their build and what devices they choose to support.
    anon(8865116) likes this.
    02-28-15 01:36 PM