Now that Blackberry has returned to its enterprise roots 100% in most developed markets I still get the feeling that it does not have the killer feature that would make enterprise users return to Blackberry in droves. Something just seems missing to spark that mass exodus from iphone and android. What is it? I would like your opinions on the one killer feature, that doesn't exist on other platforms, that would start this stampede back to Blackberry. Looking forward to your answers.
    02-17-14 04:07 AM
    I don't believe "mass exodus" is expected nor is it realistic. I think BBRY is well aware of what it needs to do and I have a feeling Chen has a few things up his sleeve to attract more enterprise business.
    02-17-14 06:05 AM
    Develop software and hardware to allow to use BB10 with monitor, keyboard and mouse as a replacement for laptop, PC. Use the same interface as BB10 just adapt display fro desktop use: font size, landscape mode, etc. IMHO all basic office activities such as email, instant messaging, browser, file management could be much more convienient and efficient on BB10 than Windows. Just make sure you can launch selected Windows applications (eg. Word, Excel) directly from BB10 destop interface if running on a fully operational PC with Windows. If connected directly to screen (without PC) BB10 device would just serve as a terminal. This was martketed as mobile computing by Heinz and his team and I think its a great idea for productivity and cost saving in enterprise.
    02-17-14 06:12 AM
    Now that Blackberry has returned to its enterprise roots 100% in most developed markets I still get the feeling that it does not have the killer feature that would make enterprise users return to Blackberry in droves. Something just seems missing to spark that mass exodus from iphone and android. What is it? I would like your opinions on the one killer feature, that doesn't exist on other platforms, that would start this stampede back to Blackberry. Looking forward to your answers.
    They already have the "one killer feature"……… security.
    02-17-14 06:41 AM
    I agree with you: BlackBerry has done many attempts to create something unique but all attempts has failed (enterprise grade tablet, bridge with "unlimited use cases", ....).

IMHO BlackBerry largest problems is

1. Market perception. For years, BlackBerry sold cheap/low performing hardware with a very buggy OS for premium prices, and this is what 99% remembers.

2. Apps. Mr. Chen wants to be "the Porsche of smartphones" but a Porsche car can do everything the most popular cars can do - it is just expensive and luxurious. A BB 10 has a huge problem as it can only do 25% of the Apps out of the box (install from BBW - not sideload from Google Play).

Until the perception of BlackBerry is changing it is very much uphill.

Desktop replacement ... maybe. As a thin client, it is doable, but I do not think it is a KSP.

To be honest - I do not know the answer or solution. The ball is with BlackBerry and we just have to wait it out to see what will happen. Loosing further carrier support is going to hurt them big time and the "core enterprise market" seems very, very small.

Privacy (after the Snowden affair) could be very interesting. Add a safe and easy to use crypto algorithm on top of BBM voice/video and you have a unique product. The problem is just that if you make a product too safe - it might be probihited in some countries. That will not help BlackBerry.

A Danish Cryptography (Lars Knudsen) professor just created a new company to launch a "Dynamic Encryption solution" for voice calling this summer. It just show what he (and some other people) believes is important.

I know him personally from my time at university and he is very skilled with 20 years of experience. Just as I was doing my last year at the university, he broke the NIST signing algorithm proposal in just 4 hours. It was in 2003 as far as I remember and the proposal was 65 pages of math!
    02-17-14 06:42 AM
    They already have the "one killer feature"……… security.
    Security though is not going to make the enterprise end user clamour for their Iphones and androids to be replaced by a bb10 device. The paradigm has shifted. Before corporate IT departments dictated what users could use. Now it's the user telling the IT department what they need. I feel that if Blackberry don't find that new spark to ignite that end user revolution as they did with the original Blackberry they may as well just call it a day. Security is not an end user killer feature.
    02-17-14 07:01 AM