I understand that Hardware is their main source of revenue but it's also a liability instead of being an asset.Stop consumer focus and just keep one keyboard model Q10.Thats it.

BlackBerry should slowly wind down hardware operations and focus on its cross platform services
    1)BES10
    2)BBM
    3)QNX
    Focus on Software consolidation by doing acquisitions like Good, Mobile Iron, Whatsapp, Kik etc and dominate each of the areas.
    Provide consulting services in Mobile Software architecture and security.
    Focus on regulated industries like Defense, Govt etc...
    Be next IBM and not HP or Dell...

Posted via CB10
    NotGoodIMO and keypad like this.
    08-22-13 05:45 PM
    Not the worst idea, that's for sure.
    Hopefully they can weather the storm and it doesn't need to come to that, but if not that could be a viable alternative that also keeps some of the infrastructure needed to support existing handheld hardware/firmware.
    08-22-13 05:53 PM
    Or....let people know that BB10 handsets are available? Pretty bad when I call Rogers for support and customer service doesn't even know what a Z10 is. (twice) Speaks volumes of how bad the situation is for this company. Imagine if they could market like the big players. Seems so simple?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 05:56 PM
    I understand that Hardware is their main source of revenue but it's also a liability instead of being an asset.Stop consumer focus and just keep one keyboard model Q10.Thats it.

BlackBerry should slowly wind down hardware operations and focus on its cross platform services
    1)BES10
    2)BBM
    3)QNX
    Focus on Software consolidation by doing acquisitions like Good, Mobile Iron, Whatsapp, Kik etc and dominate each of the areas.

Posted via CB10
    This is the card they need to play. The company needs to be be downsized by half, and agree on the qwerty needs to be continued. They cannot compete in the consumer space, that shipped sail. Concentrate on the enterprise / government. Be the mdm leader. Business software is the the market for them. I think that's were they want to go, but the hardware sales aren't producing well enough to give them thegime to transitionI hope they can stay public, and reinvent themselves. Get out of the handset business, too many mistakes have been made.
    keypad likes this.
    08-22-13 07:00 PM
    I completely disagree that the only phones they should continue to make are QWERTY's. I also don't agree with your acquisitions. I don't think they should go IBM.

I think it would be best for the company and the consumers if they had a strategic hardware partnership with Company X. BlackBerry would continue making phones for the government, businesses, DoD, etc, while Company X would handle the re-branding/re-imaging of BB10 phones for another crowd. This way, BB10 device shipments increase as desired, BB10 gets a second chance at life, and everybody is happy. You're fooling yourself if you think BlackBerry makes bad hardware. To hell with HTC and Apple. Why should the most important device on your body be made from a very soft metal that is prone to dents and scratches?
    NotGoodIMO likes this.
    08-22-13 08:54 PM
    The intent is not make everyone happy but make shareholders money. That's why a business exists and prosper. Hardware a low margin business (negative for them) where BlackBerry has no moat whatsoever.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    08-22-13 08:58 PM
    Explain to me how a strategic partnership as I've described would fail to make shareholders money.
    08-22-13 08:59 PM
    First of all its very difficult for them to make a strategic partnerships in a business which has lost 70 B in market cap in just few years.
    They have been trying to do that for 2 years now.BB10 is not going to change anything...

Smartphones is a business which is dominated by two and because of Android it's increasingly become commodities.

Look at history of any device company they have so low margins.

Do you really want to focus in a business where you have no advantage and is going to be and even lower margin business.

BlackBerry should focus where they have advantage and can succeed with a high degree of certainty...Check out IBM vs Dell in last 10 years.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    08-22-13 09:07 PM
    The issue with BB10 is exposure and apps.

I don't think they have been seriously trying until now. What makes BlackBerry appealing are the unique patents for security and believe it or not, BB10. It's a great OS that offers an alternative to iOS and Android.This is important, especially if you are in the hardware only business. The only way to make money in Android is to make budget phones, or compete in the spec race which Samsung will forever dominate. HTC has gained a solid footing here as well. That leaves other hardware companies shut out entirely. Creating a new software is out entirely, but adopting isn't.

As you've mentioned, the only company that is making any real money off of Android is Samsung. Even then, you never want to put all of your eggs in one basket. If you're into investing you'll see that it's all the same. This is why you see companies making Windows Phones as well. This is the same reason that Samsung is working on Tizen. When Sailfish finishes, companies will adopt it because of the Android runtime. If BlackBerry were to license BB10 to another party, both parties would benefit. BB10 would gain more exposure and the other party would see increased revenues. The app issue will only get better through exposure, time, and the rebranding of BB10, not BlackBerry. I think BlackBerry should continue to play their strong points and stick to governments and businesses. BB10 is much further along than Sailfish and Tizen, and is therefore the most viable and practical solution over Windows Phone imho.
    Last edited by LWKING; 08-22-13 at 09:59 PM.
    NotGoodIMO likes this.
    08-22-13 09:23 PM

1)BES10
    2)BBM
    3)QNX

Posted via CB10
    Thorsten Heins is no Lou Gerstner and RIM is no IBM. When IBM started to turn itself around in the mid 90's it still had a huge dominant market share in Systems, and a significant relationship with it's customer base, including onsite sales force inside some of it's largest customer's own organization and an annual revenue of $100 Billion. IBM also led the total number of patents awarded per year for many years and had significant depth with its many world wide research labs. IBM had it's own worldwide data network which it sold to ATT for over a $1 Billion. Its total worldwide workforce was over 300,000 employees in the '90s and over 400,000 employees today.

Buying IBM is a relationship; buying a mobile-handset is a non-sticky transaction. Large companies today that still use IBM mainframes are switching their enterprise handsets from BB to Apple and Android.

Any comparison made between IBM and RIM is just nonsensical.
    Last edited by jcsf123; 08-23-13 at 12:24 AM. Reason: typos
    aniym likes this.
    08-22-13 10:50 PM
    BlackBerry is at a same decision point IBM was...they can keep making negative margin phones which no one excepts some fans are buying or they can focus on their strong areas and go to high margin services.
    At some point common sense prevails....i hope it gets through BlackBerry's Boardroom.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 01:29 PM
    BlackBerry is at a same decision point IBM was...they can keep making negative margin phones which no one excepts some fans are buying or they can focus on their strong areas and go to high margin services.
    At some point common sense prevails....i hope it gets through BlackBerry's Boardroom.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what those strong areas for RIM are - and from what you list it doesn't look like a sustainable business to me.

1) BBM was popular 5-6 years ago. Now, not so much.

2) QNX - What on earth would they do with QNX by itself? QNX lost the embedded RTOS war long ago, which is why BB bought them on the cheap. The QNX market is < 4% of that market and declining. - there was another Crackberry thread that talked about this with market data.

3) BES10 - who knows what the value proposition is without the BB hand-sets. There's already dozens of companies providing BYOD services for Apple and Android.

This is not another "IBM turning around their Systems market in the 90s" story. It's a "i don't know what their real value is" story. I suspect their patent portfolio might be worth something from an offense market position. But that's just a fire-sale discussion.

Any comparison between IBM and RIM is nonsensical. I worked at IBM in the 90s - RIM is no IBM.
    08-23-13 03:50 PM
    That's exactly the issue " who knows what the value is"...and that's true it seems you really have no idea about the value.

BES10 along with BlackBerry secure network is the best possible MDM solution there is...Good and Mobile Iron cannot compete with that...They run the most secure private network on which still 70 % of corporations rely on...Just because you worked at IBM and have some comparisons in mind, does not mean BlackBerry cannot succeed in its strong areas of mobile security and infastructure.
    Massive portions of corporate data in the world is going mobile in the world and no one is better positioned to focus on its Security as BlackBerry is.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 04:00 PM
    That's exactly the issue " who knows what the value is"...and that's true it seems you really have no idea about the value.

BES10 along with BlackBerry secure network is the best possible MDM solution there is...Good and Mobile Iron cannot compete with that...They run the most secure private network on which still 70 % of corporations rely on...Just because you worked at IBM and have some comparisons in mind, does not mean BlackBerry cannot succeed in its strong areas of mobile security and infastructure.
    Massive portions of corporate data in the world is going mobile in the world and no one is better positioned to focus on its Security as BlackBerry is.

Posted via CB10
    Good luck with that. I've not seen any published analyst that agrees with you.
    08-23-13 04:26 PM
    Google Peter Misek from Jefferies.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 05:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Bloomberg Peter Misek Aug 21, 2013 - talking about breakup fire-sale: "The company’s cash reserves will be worth about $2.6 billion at the end of this fiscal year; its patents and other intellectual property might fetch $1 billion; the network would be worth $1.2 billion; and the software about $1.5 billion, Long said in an Aug. 13 note to clients. Subtracting the $800 million estimated cost of shutting down the handset businesses, that would give BlackBerry a sum-of-the-parts value of about $5.5 billion, or $10.50 a share." He later also compares it to Nortel, which was another fire sale.

It's all pretty negative. Maybe you can provide the quote from Peter where he says their Network could be a lucrative sustainable business, cause I didn't see it.
    08-23-13 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Another quote from Aug 19th Peter Misek: "Enterprise BB10 refresh should start in Sep but could be pushed out. We think there is pent up enterprise demand for BB10 handsets with the main attraction being an improved web browsing experience. We expect a pick-up in H2 following summer corporate trials of the simplified BES10.1, the BYOD MDM solution, and the Q10/Q5, but we note that the LBO/acquisition headlines will cause enterprises to delay purchases until they have greater clarity on BBRY’s future as a company.

MDM opportunity still attractive but increasingly difficult to get there. The same factors that will likely delay the BB10 enterprise refresh likely will elongate the sales cycle for BBRY’s MDM solution and lead to BBRY ceding share to competitors."

That's a pretty negative endorsement for a wining strategy for BB.
    08-23-13 06:19 PM

1)BES10
    2)BBM
    3)QNX

Posted via CB10
    Good idea! They should sell the devices business and license BB10. I think they should keep BB10 and make it free to license and share the app store revenue. If they do that and few vendors get on board , they could be like Microsoft and IBM combined in mobile space.
    08-23-13 06:29 PM
    Looks like you are brainwashed by the media bashing of Blackberry. Blackberry has very valuable patents, one of the main one is ECC encryption. Blackberry should be more aggressive in monetizing its software assets. We all know that RSA encryption is on the verge of getting cracked. Blackberry is the king of security in mobile space but with ECC as the best option available for encryption, Blackberry could be sitting on a gold mine. Take a look at the following link.
    Math Advances Raise the Prospect of an Internet Security Crisis | MIT Technology Review
    Main problem with Blackberry at this point is its impotent Management. They are just bunch of morons sitting at the top.
    08-23-13 06:45 PM
    Looks like you are brainwashed by the media bashing of Blackberry.

Blackberry has very valuable patents, one of the main one is ECC encryption.
    I guess if you don't have a good argument you can just attack the messenger.

Yes, I know about the Internet Security Crisis. You have no idea what I know.

Ok - I'll bite. How do you turn an encryption patent into a sustainable business that will support shareholder value for RIM? I'd love to hear this one.
    08-23-13 07:19 PM
    It's a component of overall security which makes BlackBerry MDM solution so compelling, giving them edge over Good, Mobile Iron etc...No one component can create Shareholder value by itself...But when you connect the dots together you see that they can be really a great mobile security services company...The best thing going for BlackBerry is thier cheap share price...any small success could create great upside from its current levels.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 10:36 PM
    The best thing going for BlackBerry is thier cheap share price...any small success could create great upside from its current levels.
    Posted via CB10
    That's what they say about penny stocks.
    08-24-13 11:55 AM
    Looks like you are brainwashed by the media bashing of Blackberry. Blackberry has very valuable patents, one of the main one is ECC encryption.
    Are you aware that the patent isn't on the algorithm, which is public domain, but merely on one specific implementation, right? ECC encryption has been used, with other implementation, for over a decade, including open-source implementations.

I think a lot of people think this patent is worth a lot more than it is because of one poorly-researched (in what the patent actually covers) positive article.

I'm not saying that the patent is worthless; it definitely has value, but it's also not the end-all-be-all solution that everyone in the industry is going to have to license, either.
    08-24-13 01:22 PM

1)BES10
    2)BBM
    3)QNX

Posted via CB10
    At least the IBM clusters we have bought were Linux. IBM adds value to essentially a commodity OS from what I can tell. In other words - Android with secuity on the server side available and a great UI and mail client on top. Apple by the way is close to this on the Mac OS side although I think their OS is a bit less standard than what IBM does with Linux.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 01:40 PM
    I agree there are problems with this but it is probably their best bet.
    09-22-13 09:15 PM