As requested, I thought I'd start a dedicated place for us to grieve, rage, and scratch our heads over BlackBerry's generally hopeless marketing efforts.

Any bets on whether the Z3 launch will be awful ? I want to believe that they've learnt their lesson, and that this time will be a bit different...am I mad?

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    drkpitt likes this.
    04-03-14 07:12 AM
    I think BlackBerry marketing is an oxymoron.
    Let's hope the Z3 is a success....I NEED a Z50 eventually!
    04-03-14 07:55 AM
    We started the Armchair CEO subforum last summer, mostly as a response to all of the complaints and suggestions about marketing and how they run the business. Welcome aboard!
    04-03-14 08:08 AM
    What people here perceive as bad marketing from Blackberry is simply a lack of marketing which reflects a desire not to spend the kind of money that the competition does. They probably figure that they won't get the bang for their buck with marketing dollars when the phones really aren't in the stores nor displayed very well nor being pushed by the carriers.

The kind of mass marketing that people here expect from a smartphone company really only works if you are selling tens of millions of phones per quarter. That doesn't even count the marketing that is done by the carriers.
    Last edited by early2bed; 04-03-14 at 08:42 AM.
    04-03-14 08:23 AM
    What people here perceive as bad marketing from Blackberry is simply a lack of marketing which reflects a desire not to spend the kind of money that the competition does. They probably figure that they won't get the bang for their buck with marketing dollars when the phones really aren't in the stores nor displayed very well nor being pushed by the carriers.

The kind of mass marketing that people here expect from a smartphone company really only works if you are selling tens of millions of phones per quarter. That doesn't even count the marketing that is done by the carriers.
    I certainly agree with half of what you are saying. Still, the marketing that BlackBerry HAVE done has also been terrible. I personally love the design and fonts, etc. of the BlackBerry 10 marketing. That part is great. What I do not understand is how such a high profile company can come up with such awful ads. Go and see some of the stuff they post in their Facebook pages and channels. 'Fauxtrepreneur'???

BlackBerry marketing fails to fulfil the very basic objectives of persuasion and rhetoric - it's astonishing. With very few exceptions, they do nothing to inform the audience of what BlackBerry 10 has to offer, or what it does, and they do nothing to tell people why they should give a damn.

The lack of marketing due to finances is one thing - and even that isn't an excuse - but my concern has been the sheer amateurish nature of the stuff they HAVE released. Remember 'Amateur Hour is Over?' who the hell came up with that ?

I've come to the assumption that BlackBerry HQ has too many suits and not enough in-touch people who understand their audience, but that's just a guess. Really, I haven't got a clue why things are the way they are. I just want things to change - asap.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    04-03-14 09:33 AM
    One could say the same thing about some of the iPhone 5 commercials. The flowing liquid metal spot comes to mind.

When they were advertising regularly I saw informative ads of the kind you speak two or three times a day. Maybe you aren't in the target demographic.

In any case given the cash burn, the ineffectiveness of their add campaigns (for whatever reason), and the need to return to profitability I see their current frugality as a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 04:28 PM
    One thing I'm not clear on is the marketing responsibility of blackberry vs Foxconn regarding the z3 launch. Will it be jointly funded or is one or the other solely responsible? Any thoughts?
    04-03-14 04:41 PM
    I've come to the assumption that BlackBerry HQ has too many suits and not enough in-touch people who understand their audience, but that's just a guess. Really, I haven't got a clue why things are the way they are.
    That was a good guess because you got it absolutely right!

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    04-03-14 04:47 PM
    That was a good guess because you got it absolutely right!

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    Also, the 'yes man' culture of fear has to end. Far too many people who know bad decisions are being made but are fearful of speaking out.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    04-03-14 05:06 PM