I guess BBRY is just screwing their customers once again. Please don't make me sell my 9900.
    08-21-13 08:58 AM
    I guess BBRY is just screwing their customers once again. Please don't make me sell my 9900.
    I wouldn't say they are screwing them. It's just that I don't see how it helps anyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:21 AM
    BBM is the main reason why i bought Blackberry Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 12:28 PM
    BBM is the main reason why i bought Blackberry Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Really?
    A lot of people on this board would find that hard to believe.
    08-21-13 01:32 PM
    I heard that it WILL infact go cross-platform soon...

BUT..

Only the cross-platform people can speak to other cross-platform people, e.g. the person who downloads BBM on an iPhone can communicate with the person who has downloaded it on an Android device.

If you have a blackberry device you can only use bbm to communicate with another person who has bbm installed on their blackberry device.

Fact.

Boom.
    Boy do I have a bridge for you!
    08-21-13 01:33 PM
    It been said a million times in a million other threads. BB lost a significant amount of income when they dumped BIS. Making BBM X platform will give the a way to get that income back via BBM channels.
    If they don't go x-plat they will be en route to lose BBM completely as bb users switch to other modes of messaging to talk to their non bb owning friends. Like someone else said, damned if they do, more damned if they don't.
    I agree, except they do have to monetize it somehow.

MAYBE with ads. But, with many carriers offering free texts and apps like GroupMe that offer free group chatting, if users have to pay to play, i'm afraid it will do more harm than good. Can't be money hungry all the time. Sometimes, you have to simply offer a great service. The money will come. I'm sure many feel like BBY needs to make money now, but they're not in a financial bind. A strong user-base of its services is more important right now.

They really have to monetize something.

Posted via CB10
    I NO RITE! HOW ARE THE GOING TO MONETIZE IT???

Its been said close to a billion times, and even BB has said it if you listen to what they have already stated when channels were introduced. Channels will provide a means for companies to zero in on their target markets and advertise directly to them without the need for useless spam, or pop up ads in the IM platform itself.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    08-21-13 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry is killing its self by let BBM and BBM channel going to other OSes
    No one will buy BlackBerry devices

I have an iPhone 5
    And I keep buying a BlackBerry because of BBM

So is this the time to say good buy to BlackBerry devices?

Q5

The earlier BBM goes cross platform the better.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 01:40 PM

BUT..

Only the cross-platform people can speak to other cross-platform people, e.g. the person who downloads BBM on an iPhone can communicate with the person who has downloaded it on an Android device.

If you have a blackberry device you can only use bbm to communicate with another person who has bbm installed on their blackberry device.

Fact.

Boom.
    this is nonsense...

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 01:45 PM
    I NO RITE! HOW ARE THE GOING TO MONETIZE IT???

Its been said close to a billion times, and even BB has said it if you listen to what they have already stated when channels were introduced. Channels will provide a means for companies to zero in on their target markets and advertise directly to them without the need for useless spam, or pop up ads in the IM platform itself.
    I never listen to anything BB says. So I only read things here. Which, in this case, I now have. Thanks for the explanation.
    08-21-13 02:33 PM
    this is nonsense...

Posted via CB10
    I certainly hope so. I would like to be able to use it and I don't think I know anyone who owns a Blackberry.
    08-21-13 02:34 PM
    I certainly hope so. I would like to be able to use it and I don't think I know anyone who owns a Blackberry.
    Yeah, I'd forget you ever even read that. It's not in the realm of possibilities. They aren't going to make it x-plat and exclude blackberry. Not even the slightest of slight possibilities.
    08-21-13 04:05 PM
    Yeah, I'd forget you ever even read that. It's not in the realm of possibilities. They aren't going to make it x-plat and exclude blackberry. Not even the slightest of slight possibilities.
    BlackBerry Playbook.
    08-21-13 05:31 PM
    I love bbm but it is really no good to me as most of the people I know have other devices. I think if it works well cross platform they will at least get some people at least thinking about BlackBerry and hopefully in a good way

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 05:59 PM
    BlackBerry Playbook.
    Yeah, but no.

Whatever the reason, BB decided they didn't want to make bb10 for the playback, and in the end it was what they felt to be a cost vs reward scenario. There is no way that scenario could play out the be beneficial.
    08-21-13 07:34 PM
    I respectfully have to disagree. As long as Blackberry continues to produce phones with full qwerty keyboards I'll continue to use them. I just prefer a phone with a full keyboard.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    08-21-13 07:38 PM
    BlackBerry Playbook.
    +1

My point exactly.

So far it looks as if blackberry bbm will only converse with blackberry bbm. The rest of the world can chill though because they can use bbm "when it is released".

I guess in a way they might be thinking of the future - why make it cross platform if you plan on no hardware in 2-5 years time? Scrap the effort, and just make it cross platform for the existing big OS's out there? I'm not a genius but maybe that's just easier for them?
    08-22-13 03:32 AM

BUT..

Fact.

Boom.

Absolutely no chance - if that was the case, it would the most pointless thing ever and a complete PR disaster to boot...
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    08-22-13 03:59 AM
    IMHO, there is a slight chance for BBM to trump Whatsapp in case of the following:

- support for WP in addition to iOS & Android (it won't work, even if it's only a minority of friends/colleagues/business partners etc. that stays excluded).
    - clients for PC and Mac (this would be a compelling argument for MANY to come on board)
    - absolutely wonderful and trouble free performance of the to be released non-BB-clients, from day 1 on (an obvious one)

Otherwise, I do not see the bright future for BBM. Whatsapp became too wide spread and too popular.
    08-22-13 04:45 AM
    +1

My point exactly.

So far it looks as if blackberry bbm will only converse with blackberry bbm. The rest of the world can chill though because they can use bbm "when it is released".

I guess in a way they might be thinking of the future - why make it cross platform if you plan on no hardware in 2-5 years time? Scrap the effort, and just make it cross platform for the existing big OS's out there? I'm not a genius but maybe that's just easier for them?
    I won't argue with you on that last part.
    08-22-13 06:03 AM
    Actually me too

Q5
    08-25-13 05:39 PM
    Well for me the reason I stuck with BlackBerry is due to its OS, compared to other systems i find it far more intuitive. I have tried ios and just get frustrated with it. BBM going to other platforms will not make me switch as I have yet to find something that offers anything better. Granted people with no experience with the BlackBerry system may struggle to justify the change, but this is where the BlackBerry marketing needs to come into play and yes before anyone says, I agree they have a lot to learn in that area.

Posted from my Z10 with CB10
    08-25-13 05:51 PM
    BBM...whats that, a new game??........
    AlexXF likes this.
    08-25-13 05:58 PM
    Buying a BlackBerry ONLY for BBM is a lot of money to spend.

Making BBM cross platform isn't killing them as they haven't even done it yet...
    That a lot of money for one app when I think about it

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 12:05 PM
    When is it actually going cross-platform?

Nobody has the answer to this. For all we know, it might never go cross-platform, regardless of the fact that its been spotted as being beta tested or whatever.

Crackberry, with all their research and that - please enlighten us with an approximate launch date for cross-platform BBM please. Thank you.
    I've never read such nonsense. To think they'll do that...we I have no words for you.
    08-27-13 06:04 PM
    you know,

there were some chat apps that were at one point, iOS-only exclusive.
    Then they opened up to Android users. Guess what happened?
    Revenues jumped. Subscribers gone up.

The same thing should happen to BBM, when they open up to iOS users and Android users. And that means more income for BlackBerry.

Yes its a gamble, but I don't see how BlackBerry will kill itself just because BBM is cross platform. I for a fact look at it and hope that the execution is right.
    08-28-13 11:22 AM
150 ... 456