BlackBerry is killing its self by let BBM and BBM channel going to other OSes
    No one will buy BlackBerry devices

I have an iPhone 5
    And I keep buying a BlackBerry because of BBM

So is this the time to say good buy to BlackBerry devices?

Q5
    Fnen90 likes this.
    08-18-13 09:14 AM
    Anyone who wanted to switch would have done so and downloaded Whatsapp or used iMessage.

Cross platform BBM may cost subscribers but it also has potential to draw people back to BlackBerry.
    08-18-13 09:35 AM

I have an iPhone 5

Q5
    Couldn't agree more.

You might need one:
    BlackBerry is killing its self by making BBM cross platform-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21376836639.273571.jpg
    08-18-13 09:37 AM
    I don't think taking BBM cross platform will kill BlackBerry. It seems quite clear that BBM obviously hasn't been important enough to ground people to BlackBerry. Might as well expand its market.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 09:41 AM
    And we join the conversation in the new forum.

There has been a ton of speculation on this subject, but who really knows where it will lead? Fact is, Enterprise has given us a host of options. A solid cross platform messenger system will be good in many ways, because this world is ever-changing, and part of what has handed BB a bloody nose and a chipped tooth is the refusal to adapt. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    08-18-13 09:47 AM
    Hehe another armchair ceo

I agree and disagree though, but I highly doubt the majority of BlackBerry users bought a BlackBerry for a messaging service. This could really show what BlackBerry is about on a much grander scale, depending on how they launch and what features will be implemented will determine the outcome of this bold move.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    08-18-13 09:50 AM
    The only problem with BBM going cross platform is this. With the next BB Device and OS version promoting the fact that Android apps can be sideloaded easier, why would anyone buy a BB device when they can get a Android phone cheaper that runs apps natively and has BBM as well?
    At least when BBM was a BB device exclusive, it would have given the new device a edge over someone buying an Android device. Now the playing field in the eyes of customers that don't read tech sites, is even and cost plays a big factor.
    Fnen90 likes this.
    08-18-13 09:52 AM
    Buying a BlackBerry ONLY for BBM is a lot of money to spend.

Making BBM cross platform isn't killing them as they haven't even done it yet...
    08-18-13 09:54 AM
    Anyone who wanted to switch would have done so and downloaded Whatsapp or used iMessage.

Cross platform BBM may cost subscribers but it also has potential to draw people back to BlackBerry.
    Does the Android player on BB10 have a potential to draw people to Android?
    08-18-13 09:56 AM
    I don't think taking BBM cross platform will kill BlackBerry
    I believe it will.
    Once bbm is released cross platform, legacy blackberry subscribers will plummet.

It seems quite clear that BBM obviously hasn't been important enough to ground people to BlackBerry.
    If I'm not mistaken the op is from the Middle East, where consumers carry an iPhone/android and a blackberry solely for bbm.

The difference between emerging and developed markets.

We won't have to wait long to find out, bbm should be out next month.
    Etios likes this.
    08-18-13 09:59 AM
    The only problem with BBM going cross platform is this. With the next BB Device and OS version promoting the fact that Android apps can be sideloaded easier, why would anyone buy a BB device when they can get a Android phone cheaper that runs apps natively and has BBM as well?
    At least when BBM was a BB device exclusive, it would have given the new device a edge over someone buying an Android device. Now the playing field in the eyes of customers that don't read tech sites, is even and cost plays a big factor.
    Well they promote the android player, because people looking to get a BlackBerry notice a lot of major apps are missing that are on android. So they can get the apps they want, but it takes just a tiny bit of brainpower to do so: "sideloading". BlackBerry knew beforehand they would have trouble gaining traction with the big name developers, so they built in the android runtime as a work around to that. They should not be scrutinized for it in my opinion.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    08-18-13 10:00 AM

I have an iPhone 5

Q5
    Not having BBM did not matter to the 95% of former BBRY customers who have already moved on to other platforms. IMessage and WhatsApp has pretty much become the default messaging option among that group.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    wincyUt likes this.
    08-18-13 10:08 AM
    The only growth in BBM, is to go cross platform.

Overall BB subscriber numbers are falling, so the only way up, is to offer the service on android and iOS, the eventually Windows Phone.

This was not a choice for BB.

It was basically, either let BBM dwindle to a halt, or go cross platform.

Seems they only make the logical moves when forced to.
    08-18-13 10:12 AM
    No concern. With unlimited texting and its cross platform abilities, for most U.S. users, it will be a non-event.

Yes I will install it on the families Droid fleet but will likely fall into the "hardly ever used" realm joining GTalk, Yahoo whatever, Whatsapp, IThing, etc etc..

If made VERY secure it might have wider appeal and acceptance.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    anon(5876743) likes this.
    08-18-13 10:19 AM
    I believe bbm is better than anything else out there but realistically I have no one to communicate with.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:54 AM
    I think is the right move. There are a lot of people that moved to other platforms (me included) that will use it. With BBM channels and BBM Money that is used in only a few parts of the world but if deploy worldwide and if they include other things that currently you can do in BB i think in can have a lot of appeal. It is a better offering than Whatsapp and they know that. Thats the reason why their are offering more features. I believe that with the right strategy they can monetize BBM which will help BlackBerry in general. The same thing with QNX. If they break down BB, it will be BBM, QNX and Blackberry between the NOC, BB10 and the hardware. If they BBM can make it as a stand alone company why wouldn't they make it cross platform?
    08-18-13 10:58 AM
    Just as OS 10 is evolving, so is BES 10 evolving. It is clear that BBM cross platform is integral to BES 10, especially for enterprise who have a byod policy and will stick with it. Regarding the consumer space, Blackberry must have some ideas on how they will monetize BBM cross platform as they recently signed a deal with Samsung to factory load BBM on all phones sold in Africa. As for North America, Europe etc, it is easier and faster to distribute by down loading the app on Android and iPhones.
    undone likes this.
    08-18-13 11:01 AM

Exactly. I have a Q10 with BBM and have exactly no one I know who uses a BB. My wife did, years ago and we both had BBs. Now I literally don't know a single person with a BB. I message my wife's iphone on my iphone with iMessage now. There are just way too many options if BBM stays single platform.
    08-18-13 11:04 AM
    I think is the right move. There are a lot of people that moved to other platforms (me included) that will use it. With BBM channels and BBM Money that is used in only a few parts of the world but if deploy worldwide and if they include other things that currently you can do in BB i think in can have a lot of appeal. It is a better offering than Whatsapp and they know that. Thats the reason why their are offering more features. I believe that with the right strategy they can monetize BBM which will help BlackBerry in general. The same thing with QNX. If they break down BB, it will be BBM, QNX and Blackberry between the NOC, BB10 and the hardware. If they BBM can make it as a stand alone company why wouldn't they make it cross platform?
    08-18-13 11:11 AM
    Most of the replies here seem to be emanating from more developed markets where dual sim phones are thought of as pointless.

In emerging markets having two or three phones simultaneously (each with its own SIM card and plan) is regarded as normal.

These consumers still carry a blackberry just for bbm.

Blackberry has pegged this number at 55 million daily bbm users vs 72 million blackberry subscribers on legacy devices (figures released earlier this year).
    08-18-13 11:15 AM
    No concern. With unlimited texting and its cross platform abilities, for most U.S. users, it will be a non-event.

Yes I will install it on the families Droid fleet but will likely fall into the "hardly ever used" realm joining GTalk, Yahoo whatever, Whatsapp, IThing, etc etc..

If made VERY secure it might have wider appeal and acceptance.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    Non event? Tell that to the millions that use ichat,faceflow, what's app, fb messenger etccc.... BBM is a highly polished messaging service, and it's widely known regardless of BlackBerry's reputation.
    We can agree on this, just out of plain curiosity many people will download it no?Of those people I'm sure at least 50% would keep it. Samsung is already advertising it and they've been selling phones like hot cakes. Don't underestimate the power of BBM.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    08-18-13 11:17 AM
    In india which is Blackberry's another big market people use BlackBerry only for bbm...I am a BlackBerry fan and when the announcement was made of bbm going platform my friends mocked me that this peace of phone is a **** (z10) as bbm will now be available on ios and android

The best phone in the world
    Etios likes this.
    08-18-13 11:18 AM
    Think of bit this way, Google Drive going cross platform won't kill it or Skydrive.
    08-18-13 11:21 AM
    Taking BBM to the rest of the world is a good idea, It's RIM's crowned jewel - a solid application...
    ...Having that available to an iphone or an Android might just keep a person on BBRY.
    ...Instead of moving to I.O.S. or Droid just so he can video chat with his friends on those other two platforms.

BBRY should have done this at the release of BB10.....
    ...It would have only helped to give people a "peek" into what BBRY did right!
    08-18-13 11:26 AM
    Taking BBM to the rest of the world is a good idea, It's RIM's crowned jewel - a solid application...
    ...Having that available to an iphone or an Android might just keep a person on BBRY.
    ...Instead of moving to I.O.S. or Droid just so he can video chat with his friends on those other two platforms.

BBRY should have done this at the release of BB10.....
    ...It would have only helped to give people a "peek" into what BBRY did right!
    Yes, it will be great for people like me. I will be able to use BBM from my Q10.
    08-18-13 11:29 AM
150 123 ...