- In-phone (built-in) VPN feature
    - Software sim eject
    - High-Quality audio receiver (microphone) for clearer calls
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-12-19 10:43 AM
    Pretty sure superMHL is dead, but eh.
    05-13-19 04:52 PM
    Pretty sure superMHL is dead, but eh.
    I wonder what killed SuperMHL. Maybe Casting?

I felt like casting is too much of a hassle.

I thought of a something like an hp elite X3 or dex interface but that would require much more work so I stuck with something "simple," something they've already done before. SuperMHL would enable us plug our phones into a monitor and let us run a web browser.

Also with Option 2, we would not have to touch the screen anymore.

I've heard Kevin's list, what do you guys think they should add?
    05-13-19 06:09 PM
    As a guy who plays games, writes concept and prefers not spending time in the interface aka "inventory management" when I got the Passport, I wonder 3 things
    - Why wasn't the Soft Config-able for Dual Cursors (Having Dual Cursors over Keys with Overlay Customization to Hard Touch Screen with Keyboard = Perfect Gaming Keyboard or Easier Selecting)

- The closest think to Key Customization was word substitute, but it didn't allow Space, their was no option to not add an extra Space (Wanted to type Tabs with 2-3 spaces) or even pick cursor placement (I subbed ( for [] & ) for ()) so its inbetween brackets

- assign symbols, numbers & edit options across Passport's 3 rows, let alone they didn't have an option like the Q10 to have the symbol menu auto assign letters aligned with keyboard or have Enter & Delete as Trigger keys...how many times are you going to use Enter or Delete (Select is faster)

Another thing, why not a landscape slider done right...I hate to be that guy, but some of this idea could be done with software (Fongo & Talktone are Wifi-calling apps)... I think you should post more ideas than this (I am all ears)...its not enough for sequel
    05-15-19 12:27 AM
    As a guy who plays games, writes concept and prefers not spending time in the interface aka "inventory management" when I got the Passport, I wonder 3 things
    - Why wasn't the Soft Config-able for Dual Cursors (Having Dual Cursors over Keys with Overlay Customization to Hard Touch Screen with Keyboard = Perfect Gaming Keyboard or Easier Selecting)

- The closest think to Key Customization was word substitute, but it didn't allow Space, their was no option to not add an extra Space (Wanted to type Tabs with 2-3 spaces) or even pick cursor placement (I subbed ( for [] & ) for ()) so its inbetween brackets

- assign symbols, numbers & edit options across Passport's 3 rows, let alone they didn't have an option like the Q10 to have the symbol menu auto assign letters aligned with keyboard or have Enter & Delete as Trigger keys...how many times are you going to use Enter or Delete (Select is faster)

Another thing, why not a landscape slider done right...I hate to be that guy, but some of this idea could be done with software (Fongo & Talktone are Wifi-calling apps)... I think you should post more ideas than this (I am all ears)...its not enough for sequel
    Wow these are some really great ideas, the passport was a truly powerful device but those additions are really great and I do agree about the slider, the Priv could be made better though a landscape design could prove interesting to non BlackBerry users.
    05-23-19 05:19 AM
    I think BlackBerry OS should be brought back and build the cost of maintaining the OS into the price of the phone or a "pay to update" feature to upgrade to new versions of the OS.
    05-23-19 05:24 AM
    I would prefer the buttons higher. I usually don't hold my phone from the very bottom edge. May be physically uncomfortable or inconvenient.
    05-23-19 06:24 AM
    I think BlackBerry OS should be brought back and build the cost of maintaining the OS into the price of the phone or a "pay to update" feature to upgrade to new versions of the OS.
    Do you think there is a market for $3,000 phones with $300 - $500 yearly updates?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-23-19 08:41 AM
    no capacitive keys please! pie gestures. integrate full featured hub into the home screen by swiping right like BB10. stereo speakers, camera with good image processing and optical stabilisation, water resistance,

a solid lifetime free built in VPN would be great and a great selling point too for Androids "most secure" phone.

free life time BBMe?
    05-23-19 09:54 AM
    Do you think there is a market for $3,000 phones with $300 - $500 yearly updates?
    I know it sounds silly but I believe that BlackBerry had found success in the past with the Porsche Design Phones but excessive hardware/software updates to phones on the market definitely made them seem lackluster. I would go for an either/or model. Upfront or subscription. Both might be too excessive.
    05-23-19 10:08 AM
    no capacitive keys please! pie gestures. integrate full featured hub into the home screen by swiping right like BB10. stereo speakers, camera with good image processing and optical stabilisation, water resistance,

a solid lifetime free built in VPN would be great and a great selling point too for Androids "most secure" phone.

free life time BBMe?
    Blackberry might have to abandon/modify their gesture plans in place of pie

I think the built-in VPN is great, maybe a partnership with a low level VPN provider might work, and the BlackBerry bold I remember had an exceptional camera at the time. I think TCL is getting close to building that game changer device though
    05-23-19 10:17 AM
    Blackberry might have to abandon/modify their gesture plans in place of pie
    Why do you think?
    05-23-19 10:24 AM
    I know it sounds silly but I believe that BlackBerry had found success in the past with the Porsche Design Phones but excessive hardware/software updates to phones on the market definitely made them seem lackluster. I would go for an either/or model. Upfront or subscription. Both might be too excessive.
    I'm sure they looked at every option available at the time. But at this point BlackBerry is done with hardware along with both BBOS & BB10... they have even scaled down the Mobility Division overseeing the Android licensing.
    05-23-19 10:49 AM
    Why do you think?
    The blackberry has (now "had") the productivity tab, the quick menu 3-way swipe from home and the 3 finger privacy shade as gestures. With those gestures, coupled with the keyboard shortcuts, the convenience key and, hardware gestures. Adding pie gestures on top is overwhelming. Something has to go.
    05-23-19 09:51 PM
    The blackberry has (now "had") the productivity tab, the quick menu 3-way swipe from home and the 3 finger privacy shade as gestures. With those gestures, coupled with the keyboard shortcuts, the convenience key and, hardware gestures. Adding pie gestures on top is overwhelming. Something has to go.
    Well the Productivity Tab and the 3 Way Home Button launch will not be part of any new device; with these gestures being EOL I don't see why Pie gestures can't be taken advantage of.
    05-23-19 09:55 PM
    I'm sure they looked at every option available at the time. But at this point BlackBerry is done with hardware along with both BBOS & BB10... they have even scaled down the Mobility Division overseeing the Android licensing.
    They can definitely grow it back. Once the folding screens and 5G fad falls away PKB's will come back.
    05-23-19 09:56 PM
    Hey do you guys think that TCL should stay a generation's distance behind the pack to keep the cost of phones low and affordable and make low risk choices with the technology in handsets? I do know that backberrys are in emerging markets, and I believe its worked with Apple so well to stay a generation's distance behind.
    05-23-19 10:03 PM
    and I believe its worked with Apple so well to stay a generation's distance behind.
    Apple is usually a generation or two ahead of the competition, not behind. The Snapdragon 855 is the closest the competition has gotten to matching (not exceeding) the latest Apple tech.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/snapdra...ews-29129.html
    05-23-19 11:29 PM
    They can definitely grow it back. Once the folding screens and 5G fad falls away PKB's will come back.
    Not sure what 5G or Folding Screens have to do with the extinction of the PKB format or BlackBerry brand in general.

BlackBerry might be the Packard Bell of the smartphone market.... never again what they once were, but someone able to stick around.
    05-24-19 07:11 AM
    Apple is usually a generation or two ahead of the competition, not behind. The Snapdragon 855 is the closest the competition has gotten to matching (not exceeding) the latest Apple tech.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/snapdra...ews-29129.html
    I was speaking in terms of feature-set. I believe that TCL BlackBerry devices will coast on Snapdragon 600 series processors (and other low powered processors) due to their amazing performance while keeping battery life beyond a day of use.
    05-24-19 07:16 AM
    I'll try illustrating some more ideas posted here.
    05-24-19 07:17 AM
    Not sure what 5G or Folding Screens have to do with the extinction of the PKB format or BlackBerry brand in general.

BlackBerry might be the Packard Bell of the smartphone market.... never again what they once were, but someone able to stick around.
    I may have went over your head with that one, but know that the new becomes old and the old becomes new. We are already seeing the decline of app downloads and great things that the web is able to serve up now.

John Chen has already saved blackberry by moving it to services. Blackberry can focus more on devices once demand is back up.
    05-24-19 07:26 AM
    I may have went over your head with that one, but know that the new becomes old and the old becomes new. We are already seeing the decline of app downloads and great things that the web is able to serve up now.

John Chen has already saved blackberry by moving it to services. Blackberry can focus more on devices once demand is back up.
    John Chen has put mobile hardware business in the rear view mirror. The industry has gotten to point of computers 20 years ago, where brands are disappearing and not as relevant.

For BB, QNX and Cylance is the future. Hopefully BB will continue to license BB PKB and software. Hopefully, BB licensees will continue to produce occasional devices.
    05-24-19 07:37 AM

I get what you are thinking... I just don't see it as a real option.

1) Decline in app downloads doesn't equal a move to web services. But does match up to a decline in smartphone sales and users keeping devices much longer.

2) Cost to bring back their own OS would exceed anything Chen would risk at this point. (easy Billion dollars)

3) Market doesn't need BlackBerry anymore... iOS and Android provide secure options that meet everyone's needs. Would be like GM bringing back Oldsmobile.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-24-19 10:03 AM
    A decline in app downloads means that people have settled on the apps that they want for the most part. Since the app ecosystem has matured, people don't need to download 20 browsers or 10 calendar apps or 12 mail apps to try to figure out what they want - they did that years ago and made their choices, so now, when they get a new phone, they either restore their existing choices or they go and download the specific apps that they need. That doesn't mean people don't use apps - it just means that they know which apps they want now.
    TgeekB and astrodan13 like this.
    06-16-19 12:39 PM
30 12