I have an IDEA. While the carriers are slow to release BlackBerry hardware and OS updates, BlackBerry should respond to this by pushing OS updates to the unlocked handsets bought at the online BlackBerry store. Perhaps what the carriers need is competition. Obviously BlackBerry needs supplier power, and needs to create competitive rivalry for carriers not partnering in mutual favor of both themselves and BlackBerry. People might choose to shop at BlackBerry online rather than buy from a provider with slow OS roll-outs. Similarly, unlocked online BlackBerry's with these types of perks will give customers flexibility to choose any provider, forcing providers to compete for hardware sales and contracts. Just an idea to solve the why can Apple push updates but not BlackBerry. Its all in the power they hold.
    Mecca EL, FrayCK and johnm137 like this.
    03-19-14 08:49 PM
    Love this idea!!!!
    03-19-14 09:03 PM
    Only a tiny amount of BBs are sold online direct - most customers, especially in the US and Canada, buy their phones subsidized on contract from their carriers. As long as that remains the case, which will be at LEAST until phones are LTE-only and legacy networks are gone (which would allow phones to be moved between carriers), the few percent of online sales aren't going to be threatening competition for the carriers.

Plus, as few BBs as the carriers themselves sell, I'm not sure if they'd even notice if they stopped selling them at all, at which point, they wouldn't be in competition with the direct sales either.

For the time being, there's really no avoiding the fact that ALL manufacturers (even Apple, to some degree, though they definitely negotiated special treatment) have to deal with the carriers and their policies. BB just has to learn to MANAGE the process better.
    03-20-14 03:20 PM
    They need to have a store to promote it is better in my opinion.
    They can show case Qnx and bb10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 12:52 PM
    i was just reading an article about the new HTC phone the M8. The forum posts were all saying the same thing. HTC is a great phone but the updates and process from the carriers is horrible. I had to laugh. Its not just blackberry that has problems with carrier updates. We seem to think its isolated with blackberry but thats just not the case. So I think in alot of cases its best to step back have a look at what the carriers are doing to other vendors ansd saying is it worse then the others or the same. Not saying its right but apparently its not isolated. So when we criticize about updates lets be more realistic about where the actual problem is coming from in most cases its the carriers. They are letting people twist in the wind for most of the vendors. Its not isolated to blackberry like we perceive it to be.
    03-26-14 01:02 AM
    Don't even get me started about Samsung. My family has had a galaxy s, which never got upgraded past 2.3, and a Galaxy tab, which never got upgraded past 2.3, at Samsung's discression. I did not put a different OS on the vibrant because of some quirks of the phone, but the Galaxy tab got cyanomod 9 (ICS). So to add to what trwallace said, it is not just BlackBerry. They at least offer the OS upgrades.
    03-26-14 02:58 AM
    Don't even get me started about Samsung. My family has had a galaxy s, which never got upgraded past 2.3, and a Galaxy tab, which never got upgraded past 2.3, at Samsung's discression. I did not put a different OS on the vibrant because of some quirks of the phone, but the Galaxy tab got cyanomod 9 (ICS). So to add to what trwallace said, it is not just BlackBerry. They at least offer the OS upgrades.
    To be fair, Android 4.x was a huge upgrade, and LOTS of phones just didn't have the hardware to justify the upgrade. The Galaxy S was 2 years old when ICS came out. Most phones are lucky to have 18 months of OS upgrade support.
    03-26-14 02:23 PM