A few years ago now I snail mailed a concept for a phone to RIM, because I thought it would be pretty cool and genuinely useful. I did send mock up pictures, but I think folks around here could visualize what I had in mind from a written description.

- Duality, this device would have a Bold / Q10 keyboard and screen layout on the front and a full touch screen on the back.

- Now that curved LCD screens are a reality, the rear screen could be ever so slightly curved so it feels comfortable while using it in QWERTY mode.

- While one side is on, the other side is off. Switching sides would be accomplished via a gesture or icon.

- Originally I suggested that the battery, SIM, and SD card slide out from the bottom, but with the acceptance of non removable batteries I'm phones, that would likely be the best use of space.

- Specs would be appropriate for the release period, as expectations are Always changing.

- Additional features are HDMI out, return of the programmable convenience keys (left and right, defaulting to camera and bbm), media keys, lock key, stereo speakers, aluminum carbon fiber chassis, and really decent camera.

This device is pretty much the ultimate BlackBerry, delivering the best mobile experience possible in a premium chassis. As such, I would imagine it would be very expensive! Lol... However, it would be perfect for any professional who likes to play games or watch a show while commuting after a long day of dealing with emails.

It's crazy, but I think it would also be a joy to own!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 01:35 PM
    hmm some great ideas here OP, what about listing some specs.. RAM, LCD size, battery size etc
    01-14-14 01:39 PM
    I thought about doing that, but honestly spec expectations change so fast that it's almost better to just say, "it will have a wicked full screen, perfect cpu/gpu, and a sufficient small screen".

We're looking at at least 8 months from concept to prototype and a lot would change in that time. So nailing down the desired features I think would be the most important first step. Specs would fall in line with features and physical space available.

That said, it would be a media and gaming powerhouse with at least 32gb of storage (because games and videos are huge) and it would come with the adapters/wires required to use it as a desktop (HDMI and USB keyboard / mouse +1 mass storage hub). Basically, a "casual gaming " desktop in your pocket - that also happens to moonlight as a professional productivity device!

$1,200 CND would be the max price I would put on it, but realistically I could see it costing more. Way more than I could afford either way! Lol...

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 02:08 PM