Just saw this item on MarketWatch regarding how Blackberry accounts for adjusted revenue. Not sure what it all means.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sq...wed-2019-11-07
    01-15-20 09:47 AM
    Non-GAAP can be used... but it's not suppose to be the focus. BlackBerry is probably going to have to be a little more careful in their usage of Non-GAAP.

But now that they are falling off the radar... not sure it matters all that much.
    phuoc and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-15-20 10:51 AM
    The BlackBerry non-GAAP numbers are more useful when evaluating the actual ongoing operations.

GAAP numbers better represent the overall health of the company though, as they include restructuring and other one-time charges, and debt/equity fiddling.
    01-15-20 12:13 PM
    The BlackBerry non-GAAP numbers are more useful when evaluating the actual ongoing operations.

GAAP numbers better represent the overall health of the company though, as they include restructuring and other one-time charges, and debt/equity fiddling.
    Those reports are meant for knowledgeable investors who should certainly be able to compare GAAP and non-GAAP results. The problem for companies comes when they emphasize non-GAAP numbers without an appropriate clarification about GAAP in their public statements, as this could be interpreted as deceptive.

If you don't know the difference between GAAP and non-GAAP, you should try to avoid investing your money based on ANY public statements by any company.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Laura Knotek and eshropshire like this.
    01-15-20 01:48 PM
    Those reports are meant for knowledgeable investors who should certainly be able to compare GAAP and non-GAAP results. The problem for companies comes when they emphasize non-GAAP numbers without an appropriate clarification about GAAP in their public statements, as this could be interpreted as deceptive.

If you don't know the difference between GAAP and non-GAAP, you should try to avoid investing your money based on ANY public statements by any company.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Here is a definition of non-GAAP.
    Non-GAAP earnings (GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) are measures of profit that don't follow a standard calculation for companies and are not necessarily required in their disclosure.

I like Chen, but in my opinion BlackBerry Limited is getting a little overly fond of using non-GAAP in their financial reporting.
    01-18-20 06:19 PM
    Here is a definition of non-GAAP.
    Non-GAAP earnings (GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) are measures of profit that don't follow a standard calculation for companies and are not necessarily required in their disclosure.

I like Chen, but in my opinion BlackBerry Limited is getting a little overly fond of using non-GAAP in their financial reporting.
    I have also noticed a lot of reliance on non-GAAP reporting as well. I think it was very relevant when they had a lot of extraordinary charges and tax loss carryovers, and it may make sense to continue them for comparison's sake. But at some point, the GAAP results need to speak for themselves!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    01-18-20 06:24 PM
    I expect their use of non-GAAP so much, might be why many "houses" are no longer reporting on BlackBerry at this point.
    01-29-20 07:26 AM
    In most cases, U.S. GAAP is what you should look at. It reflects standardized rules that all U.S. firms (and some firms doing business in the US) follow, which allows for an apples to apples comparison. Non-GAAP figures can sometimes be useful. However, I would put more weight in U.S. GAAP figures.

GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. These are determined by independent accounting standard setting bodies in the U.S. The FASB is the primary organization.
    01-29-20 04:39 PM