They need 3 devices.
    • High end touchscreen only device.
    • High end physical keyboard device
    • Low end physical keyboard device

That's it. They don't need 4 devices, it's so redundant.

Z30, Q10 and Q5 should be the only available devices.
    11-05-13 08:21 PM
    Z30 is overpriced but Q10 and Q5 I agree but price is the factor

Within 2 years the market will be flooded with less expensive Chinese smartphones that work well , Blackberry have a limited window to get some product out there or the clock will overtake them
    11-05-13 08:27 PM
    BlackBerry needs these phones imo:

Low end touch screen
    Low end keyboard
    High end touch screen
    High end keyboard
    Slider
    Tablet

Catch the greatest audience possible!

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 08:30 PM
    BlackBerry needs these phones imo:

Low end touch screen
    Low end keyboard
    High end touch screen
    High end keyboard
    Slider
    Tablet

Catch the greatest audience possible!

Posted via CB10
    The amount of low end touchscreen devices on the market is 100x the amount of high end so no they shouldn't. After the Playbook fiasco, they don't have the means to produce a competitive tablet.
    11-05-13 08:36 PM
    They need 3 devices.

Not even.

1 touch
    1 keyboard
    1 hybrid

Prices matter very little. Most people want one phone, one model. And on a long enough time line 80 percent of folks will cave and buy regardless of price, if they want the phone.

Anything else is an effort in futility due to support, parts, etc. Even q5 and q10 is a bad idea. People are only going to buy one or the other. You only compete with yourself in that regard.

However. Hardware is the only way they make money now for the most part. So... they will keep doing it km afraid.

Posted via CB from my LE
    11-05-13 08:38 PM
    Z30 is overpriced but Q10 and Q5 I agree but price is the factor

Within 2 years the market will be flooded with less expensive Chinese smartphones that work well , Blackberry have a limited window to get some product out there or the clock will overtake them
    Already flooded now? Miui handsets are good value for money, no? Being in Jakarta you probably seen loads?

Sent from my zipaligned and deodexed own custom ROM on HTC One X
    11-05-13 08:39 PM
    The amount of low end touchscreen devices on the market is 100x the amount of high end so no they shouldn't. After the Playbook fiasco, they don't have the means to produce a competitive tablet.
    I agree that there are many touchscreen phones but if BlackBerry makes something amazing, it'll stick out like iPhones. Especially since they have a new head of BlackBerry.

Same with the tablet. This time, if it has high specs, better app eco system, bb10, all features at launch and low price, then they might just dominate again imho

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 08:45 PM
    They need 3 devices.

Not everyone wants a phone that is 5.5 inches long and weighs 170 grams.
    pttptppt likes this.
    11-05-13 08:57 PM
    Not even.

1 touch
    1 keyboard
    1 hybrid

Prices matter very little. Most people want one phone, one model. And on a long enough time line 80 percent of folks will cave and buy regardless of price, if they want the phone.

Anything else is an effort in futility due to support, parts, etc. Even q5 and q10 is a bad idea. People are only going to buy one or the other. You only compete with yourself in that regard.

However. Hardware is the only way they make money now for the most part. So... they will keep doing it km afraid.

Posted via CB from my LE
    The Q10 is a hybrid.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 12:18 PM
    Why 3? Samsung and HTC, Sony makes A lot more than just 3 devices

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 12:29 PM
    I think they could do even less. One touch and one QWERTY. That's it.

Post via CB Z10
    angieberry10 likes this.
    11-07-13 12:35 PM
    I think they could do even less. One touch and one QWERTY. That's it.

Post via CB Z10
    A low-end phone builds the user base and makes the ecosystem more attractive to developers. A high-end phone builds profits through high margins.

The Z10 can remain an entry level touch, and they've got the Q5. I'd call the Q10 more of a "midgrade" phone, but I'm assuming that keyboard users are really more concerned with messaging functionality and not quite as concerned with media/gaming capability.

The Z30 has the feel of a high-end phone and performs better than the other BB10 phones. I'd say the Q10 could be tweaked to a higher spec, and we're all hoping the Z30 gets replaced by a quad-core monster, but we'll have to see what shape the company is in six months from now.
    11-07-13 12:44 PM
    I don't see how Blackberry can afford to do high-end R&D on low-volume/niche business. Apple is building a 2000 employee factory in Mesa, AZ to manufacture their own sapphire crystal glass which is practically unscratchable. Plus, they own the Touch ID technology not to mention doing their own chip design. Apple famously even designs its own machines for the factories to manufacture with. If all you have to choose from is parts from 3rd party manufacturers then I don't see how you can match what Apple and Samsung develop and keep for their own high-end high-volume models.
    oilgeo10 likes this.
    11-07-13 12:44 PM
    A low-end phone builds the user base and makes the ecosystem more attractive to developers. A high-end phone builds profits through high margins.

The Z10 can remain an entry level touch, and they've got the Q5. I'd call the Q10 more of a "midgrade" phone, but I'm assuming that keyboard users are really more concerned with messaging functionality and not quite as concerned with media/gaming capability.

The Z30 has the feel of a high-end phone and performs better than the other BB10 phones. I'd say the Q10 could be tweaked to a higher spec, and we're all hoping the Z30 gets replaced by a quad-core monster, but we'll have to see what shape the company is in six months from now.
    I feel like BlackBerry hardware design concept department was stretched too thin because the Q10 could look more premium for being the high end QWERTY device. The Q5 is low end device but the pricing is not as competitive. If BlackBerry want to keep the pricing competitive than they either bring the price down or focus their efforts into designing just two really premium devices and kep the price the same.
    I don't really know if worldwide the Q5 were sold better than the Q10 or not. If the Q5 did the job of getting BlackBerry to the mass then by all mean keep doing it. Otherwise, come out with two devices with sexy design, screaming specs, and polished software that people can't say no to.

Post via CB Z10
    11-07-13 01:22 PM
    They need 3 devices.

They only need 2: touch and hybrid touch/keyboard combo on a 5 inch screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 04:54 PM
    z30 and q10 are the only ones they need.

I have a z10 and don't care much for it. Mediocre hardware + unimpressive battery life = meh phone.
    11-09-13 05:10 PM
    I prefer the z10 for its size, has enough power to do everything it has to and feels good in hand :P
    11-09-13 05:30 PM
    Great Topic. I say 4 devices is about right. High/Low ends All Touch and the same for Qwerty, Not that difficult and it appears to be headed in that direction anyway.....just sayin
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-09-13 05:38 PM
    Samsung seems to be doing well with its shotgun approach.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 05:49 PM
    Z30 is too big for my liking. Z10 is just right. Maybe the next Z10 will have at least packing the Z30 specs. Definitely needs a better camera. Not necessarily have high MP either.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 12:52 AM
    I don't see how Blackberry can afford to do high-end R&D on low-volume/niche business. Apple is building a 2000 employee factory in Mesa, AZ to manufacture their own sapphire crystal glass which is practically unscratchable. Plus, they own the Touch ID technology not to mention doing their own chip design. Apple famously even designs its own machines for the factories to manufacture with. If all you have to choose from is parts from 3rd party manufacturers then I don't see how you can match what Apple and Samsung develop and keep for their own high-end high-volume models.
    doesnt apple get most of their iphone parts from Samsung?
    11-10-13 03:59 PM
    doesnt apple get most of their iphone parts from Samsung?
    The chip fab and some of the screens but parts come from a very wide range of sources. Interesting infographic. how-iphone-is-made

Samsung is simply most prominent in many people's awareness for a variety of reasons.
    11-10-13 04:32 PM
    I just want my slider
    That it!

Android and iPhone fan better thank BlackBerry for making their phone better. I prefer subscribers, not followers.
    11-11-13 02:38 PM
    I disagree. BlackBerry needs the four. Right now they are stick with two touch, two qwerty because of the Z10. It should be two qwerty, one touch in midrange and one flagship slider.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:37 PM
    My take : 3 devices

1) A Blackberry Blade (the slider concept circulating around a year ago) priced at appr 1000 USD due to "through the roof specs" for professionals who "live and die through their phone" and therefore does not want to trade between great design, build quality screen size and physical keypad. And who are willing to pay for such performance. Taking such a phone to market would also bring back the "cool" to Blackberry (as opposed to the Porsche Design phones which are as stupid as Nokias Vertu - who want to pay 4 times as much for identical, some would argue inferior products just because of a lot of "bling")

2) A "all business" phone like Q10 for people mainly using their BB for phone and messaging

3) A low end QWERTY for price sensitive users.

With BBM available on Android and IOS, Blackberry should simply discontinue the all touch screen phones, and focus on the market they own.
    11-12-13 08:46 AM
29 12