Anyone that has looked at the forums or posts at CrackBerry has seen time and again reports of how the sales associates at retail carriers talk badly about BlackBerry 10 devices. In many cases they probably have never actually used one. This is a significant problem for BlackBerry, that must be turned around - regardless if they target consumers, proconsumers, or just enterprise business. It is BlackBerry's biggest liability. I believe the following would go a long way to help.

Select a few major markets in the US and Canada, and implement an awareness strategy. Target a few large, high volume retailers in each of these markets, and hold sessions with sales personnel. Show them the features of BB10 devices. Show why many of the features are better alternatives for some customers. Put the phone in action. Show how much smoother they are, how they multitask. Get the associates excited. GIVE EACH associates their choice of BB10 device.

With a dedicated effort a strategy like this could pay major dividends in turning around perception. It has to start somewhere.
    10-08-13 06:19 PM
    You know that BlackBerry did spend quite a bit on training carrier staff, right?

BlackBerry can throw all the money at staff training they want, they can't actually make said staff LIKE their phones. And I even sympathize with the reps; they push what they think will sell, and the BlackBerry brand is toxic right now. That's unfortunate, but the uncertainty around the company puts off a lot of potential customers.

Look at it this way: if you were a rep, and you wanted your customer to be happy, would you deliberately try to sell that customer on a brand that you don't expect to survive the year?
    eldricho and mathking606 like this.
    10-08-13 06:25 PM
    You know that BlackBerry did spend quite a bit on training carrier staff, right?

BlackBerry can throw all the money at staff training they want, they can't actually make said staff LIKE their phones. And I even sympathize with the reps; they push what they think will sell, and the BlackBerry brand is toxic right now. That's unfortunate, but the uncertainty around the company puts off a lot of potential customers.

Look at it this way: if you were a rep, and you wanted your customer to be happy, would you deliberately try to sell that customer on a brand that you don't expect to survive the year?
    I'm thinking part of the power of giving reps phones is to let them use them more than an hour to see just how good they are. Some would become fans, some would not. Then maybe that new convert would tell customers something like: "You know this really is an amazing phone. BlackBerry are having trouble, but the phone may really fit your needs" Better than laughing and ridiculing a person that wants one, or could use the power of one for communication. Put useful information in a customers hand.
    10-08-13 06:34 PM
    Heck they could just give every full time rep working in retail stores for carriers that carry the Z30, a phone. Just distribute free phones to each and every one of them. What, a couple dozen thousand phones. So what, its marketing money. Say just 15% of them end up really liking them, look at the power of that.
    10-08-13 06:37 PM
    isn't half the problem that reps are commenting on the lack of apps though. doesn't matter how many BB10 devices you seed into reps, this will always stand.

Speaking as someone who has sold phones in store, iv always sold phones that I know to be good, but you also have to match it to the buyer, if they buyer says they use a lot of apps and such, then it might mean BlackBerry doesn't fit that need. for example, a question every sales rep should ask is `what do you use you phone for most other than calling and texting?` (cos they all do that). Now if I answer, `oh the normal social media stuff like facebook twitter and instagram, and I like to watch films on Netflix and LoveFilm, then play a few games too` then at this time BlackBerry doesn't suit my needs.

Different people have different needs, so there is no one scenario for that conversation, but film on demand sites and social media sites are very widely used so the most obvious over niche apps. That's why the lack of certain apps in the ecosystem really hurts BlackBerry, and no matter how much device seeding you do, until that situation changes then its not the media consumption device that most people want.
    10-08-13 07:34 PM
    I've never heard talk like that from Thunderbuck before. Things MUST be dire.

A good salesperson is one who educates him or herself on all phones, and makes a recommendation based on what will suit the customer's desires. Customers usually get put off by a salesperson who pushes a particular brand or model harder than others.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 10-08-13 at 10:25 PM.
    10-08-13 10:06 PM
    I've never heard talk like that from Thunderbuck before. Things MUST be dire.

A good salesperson is one who educates him or herself on all phones, and makes a recommendation based on what will suit the customer's desires. Customers usually get put off by a salesperson who pushes a particular brand or model harder than others.
    My enthusiasm for the platform hasn't diminished at all, but it doesn't do any good at all to deny reality.

One thing that BlackBerry desperately needs to do is to stay away from excuses, and one of the worst is that the brand is being slighted by sales reps. Well, that's happening alright, and it's happening mostly because of the lack of confidence in the company's future.

Get past the bad press. Convince the buying public that you're not going out of business next week. Or price your handsets so low that customers won't care. That's how BlackBerry will get the reps onside.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    10-09-13 01:54 AM
    My enthusiasm for the platform hasn't diminished at all, but it doesn't do any good at all to deny reality.
    You're such a downer, Buck.

Lol, just kidding bro
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-09-13 05:45 PM
    How much of the sales "problem" is due to the reported need to push Apple products to meet corporate sales goals?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 09:34 PM
    How much of the sales "problem" is due to the reported need to push Apple products to meet corporate sales goals?

Posted via CB10
    Hasn't hurt Android sales much

You give people what they want, or convince them that you have what they want... they will buy it. BlackBerry failed to do either.
    10-10-13 02:55 PM
    Hasn't hurt Android sales much

You give people what they want, or convince them that you have what they want... they will buy it. BlackBerry failed to do either.
    Sad to say, I agree. Now, BB always had an uphill climb with BB10 to start with. Had I been consulted (and I obviously wasn't), I would have mounted a creative campaign that acknowledged that this was a trip back from the brink, preferably with some warmth and humor. I don't normally like negative ads at ALL, but I have to admit that the Nokia ads that take a poke at iPhone and Android are pretty funny. This would have been awesome to see.
    10-10-13 04:11 PM
    Sad to say, I agree. Now, BB always had an uphill climb with BB10 to start with. Had I been consulted (and I obviously wasn't), I would have mounted a creative campaign that acknowledged that this was a trip back from the brink, preferably with some warmth and humor.
    Yup, if they could get a do-over it would be with the marketing. I would have used the words "We're Back" instead of "Keep Moving".
    10-10-13 06:37 PM
    They could go this route, but they would get more bang for their buck if they just brainwashed customers through TV and Web advertising. I'm not sure the percentage, but I would think most consumers have their minds made up before they enter the store. This has worked for so many companies. Tell consumers what they need and be proud to state the fact. BlackBerry has never accomplishing this. Not even close. They had such an opportunity last Jan and missed out. Yes, it may not have worked, but you don't know until you try. I mean actually try.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 10:54 PM
    If I was still selling phones, I can say BB easily gets crossed off the list for most customers when you ask about apps people are using or will use. Sideloading isn't an option the average person will want, nor would I want my staff having to support people who they've told about sideloading. (And they will come back when they need help, especially if you recommended that course.)

Also, looking at these forums and seeing how many people say they are finally happy now that they have leaks installed.. well, again, not viable for average users, and not something I'm going to recommend, especially against 3 very stable OS's, 2 of which don't have app issues, and the third which is closing that gap with the major apps more quickly.

Regardless of how much I like a company, or want them to succeed, I'm not putting their device in someone's hands unless I think it's best for them. At this point, I think BB ends up not being the best solution for most people when you get down to how they want to use their phones.
    10-11-13 01:22 AM