Bert Nordberg represents what is wrong with BlackBerry. Saying that BlackBerry can survive as niche company is just plain wrong. Dismal Q10 sales prove this. The mobile phone market is extremely competitive and while Apple and Android dominate currently, they are not perfect and people like alternatives to them.

What BlackBerry needs is proper leadership and thinking. Stop practicing mediocrity. Get 10.2 onto a Z30 with best in class specs and put a good marketing campaign behind it. Reinforce it with a street team that represents you to news outlets and bloggers.

I'm not holding my breathe for this while clowns like this are influencing strategic decisions.

Bert Nordberg if you have any decency, resign from BlackBerry's board. You're clueless and not helping the company.
    t-fal likes this.
    09-02-13 02:53 PM
    Jesus, you people get up in arms about any and everything, and usually without any basis for doing so.

1) How is what Mr. Nordberg said wrong or rises to the level of requiring his resignation?

2) If BlackBerry is exploring strategic options to assure it's survival why is it a bad thing for them to consider this route, among others? Would you rather they potentially exist as a niche entity or an entity that is a footnote in some Business 101 textbook?

3) Why is that a person you disagree with a "clown" or "clueless" or of questionable decency? You are not privy to any of the information this man has at his disposal and yet you can sit there and hurl insult his way. Stunningly foolish.
    09-02-13 03:12 PM
    That's why this is in armchair
    imz likes this.
    09-02-13 03:18 PM
    Jesus, you people get up in arms about any and everything, and usually without any basis for doing so.

1) How is what Mr. Nordberg said wrong or rises to the level of requiring his resignation?

2) If BlackBerry is exploring strategic options to assure it's survival why is it a bad thing for them to consider this route, among others? Would you rather they potentially exist as a niche entity or an entity that is a footnote in some Business 101 textbook?

3) Why is that a person you disagree with a "clown" or "clueless" or of questionable decency? You are not privy to any of the information this man has at his disposal and yet you can sit there and hurl insult his way. Stunningly foolish.
    There's no surviving as a niche player - they don't exist and I'm not holding my breathe for BlackBerry to become the first. The economies of scale dictate that. It's too expensive to develop and operating system/hardware solution to only sell 20 million phones per year. Most people don't want to carry two or more phones therefore, BlackBerry needs to make themselves more desirable than an iphone, android or windows. This is accomplished by developing a best in class phone and marketed with a good ad campaign and not by trying to shrink themselves to profitability. If what Nordberg is saying is true and that BlackBerry is going to try to survive as a niche player, then we just bought our last BlackBerry's. BlackBerry will not survive with that kind of thinking. I'm saying he should resign because it's this kind of nonsense thinking that has got BlackBerry into the trouble they are in.

I enjoy the fact you call me foolish while you blindly support people who are destroying this company.
    09-02-13 03:38 PM
    Go back and read the post and I swear to God if you copy and paste where I typed exactly "YOU ARE Stunningly foolish" I will buy you a phone of your choice. My contention is calling someone a clown or clueless or your other insults without knowing the man or what the man knows is stunningly foolish...and it is. The name calling that is.

There's no surviving as a niche player - they don't exist and I'm not holding my breathe for BlackBerry to become the first. The economies of scale dictate that. It's too expensive to develop and operating system/hardware solution to only sell 20 million phones per year. .
    If BlackBerry gets out of hardware completely they absolutely could survive as a niche entity. Mobile Device Management, BBM if they find a way to monetize it as well as a few other things makes it not an altogether unworkable proposition.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-02-13 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Really bad punctuation
    CHIP72 likes this.
    09-02-13 03:51 PM

What BlackBerry needs is proper leadership and thinking. Stop practicing mediocrity. Get 10.2 onto a Z30 with best in class specs and put a good marketing campaign behind it. Reinforce it with a street team that represents you to news outlets and bloggers.
    I guess you missed the memo..no one wants Blackberry devices anymore, at least not the general consumers, and there are no buyers interested in the company too. Better focus on what you still have, corporate sales, then try to appeal to costumers that despise you. No amount of marketing can save them at this point.
    09-02-13 04:29 PM
    Bert Nordberg represents what is wrong with BlackBerry. Saying that BlackBerry can survive as niche company is just plain wrong. Dismal Q10 sales prove this. The mobile phone market is extremely competitive and while Apple and Android dominate currently, they are not perfect and people like alternatives to them.

I'm not holding my breathe for this while clowns like this are influencing strategic decisions.

Bert Nordberg if you have any decency, resign from BlackBerry's board. You're clueless and not helping the company.
    I agree in a way, but you are also a bit out of context.

what if NICHE means BUSINESS use only? Then in that case the 'sales' dont even matter, because the VAST majority of that is consumers and NOT businesses. Sure the Q10 hasnt sold to many businesses... BUT, we have companies like JP Morgan saying they are WAITING to hear BBs future before they upgrade. This shows that most of the companies that were going to buy Q10 in bulk are now waiting because of the current situation. The fact that they are waiting and not just going to iOS or Android does, IN FACT, show that there IS a niche/need for a product/service like BBs

Companies know what BB is good at. A lot of companies have shifted to iOS and Android, but those, for the most part, are ones that are not really focused on 100% security... and also, in many of those cases the actual devices are iOS/Android but they are being managed through BB software. If you ask me, Capitalism and the current economic trends are surely open for a company whose 'niche' is serving the majority of businesses. (I know the current state is not that for BB, but they can easily regain that with the proper work and effort)
    amazinglygraceless and bradu1 like this.
    09-02-13 11:38 PM
    Nordberg's actual interview where he talked about "surviving as a niche company" made no mention or even suggestion of remaining a hardware company. He was clearly referring to being a software-only company, licensing QNX, and selling MDM software.

Other reporters have MISTAKENLY inferred that he was suggesting that BB could survive as a niche smartphone maker, and THAT is clearly not possible for anyone (on their own OS/ecosystem).
    Nine54 likes this.
    09-03-13 02:03 PM
    I know the feeling. There are those of us who only care about Blackberry if they are serving us (as general consumers) and hate it when anyone says anything about them losing the handset business and focusing on corporate solutions. We just don't care about that, we don't have any shares. I just want to be able to keep using my Q10, I don't even need a ship load of apps either.

Sigh...I think I'm gonna quit checking the news for a while.
    09-03-13 02:30 PM

Reading into what drives that post, rather than how it is written, if the OP thinks someone should fall on their sword at Blackberry, possibly I would agree, but that is about as far down the road as I will go with that, mostly because of how it is expressed. I'm not sure Bert Nordberg is someone who should resign particularly, and I would not wish to make it personal. Sounds like someone needs, as the expression goes, a hug. And I'm not offering
    09-03-13 07:25 PM
    Those who lie and cheat in their personal life will likely follow suit in business and other areas or aspects of their life. Unlike Rob Ford, I do believe that how you conduct yourself personally directly speaks to how you may operate within a high profile or corporate setting. As Nietzsche said, " I'm not upset you lied to me, I'm upset I can't believe you anymore". You can't believe much that comes out of this Mr. Nordberg's mouth....
    Last edited by t-fal; 01-29-14 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Lang error
    01-29-14 10:53 PM
    It's like expecting a man to save a marriage while cheating on his wife...makes all the wrong decisions.
    Last edited by t-fal; 01-29-14 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Wrong post
    01-29-14 11:03 PM
    A BlackBerry that only licenses QNX and does MDM will be a much smaller company. It'll be a niche player like Jolla in Finland. That would mean the end of BlackBerry's consumer presence, which frankly isn't much in most markets now.

Nokia were smart to pull the trigger and sell off their Devices and Services division to Microsoft. It's impossible to maintain economies of scale in both hardware and software when the other competitors are already entrenched worldwide. The mobile sector is quickly becoming like the consumer PC sector, with the Wintel-like Android bunch grabbing most of the market while Apple takes the leftovers. Thank goodness there's Linux on servers
    02-06-14 11:16 PM
    Those who lie and cheat in their personal life will likely follow suit in business and other areas or aspects of their life. Unlike Rob Ford, I do believe that how you conduct yourself personally directly speaks to how you may operate within a high profile or corporate setting. As Nietzsche said, " I'm not upset you lied to me, I'm upset I can't believe you anymore". You can't believe much that comes out of this Mr. Nordberg's mouth....
    Everyone has and does lie. This is the stupidest quote ever.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    02-07-14 03:35 AM
    The quote wouldn't be so stupid if you knew what I knew. Yes, of course everyone lies, but if you think it's ok to lie at the expense of shareholders and their hard earned money then ethically your compass is off. And I assure you, ones personal life, does indeed reflect their moral compass...
    02-09-14 09:44 PM