01-16-14 10:48 AM
28 12
tools
    My first stab at saving the world (insofar as BB is concerned). BlackBerry needs to have foxconn build a market basement device in the form of a BBM device (basically a souped up BBM pager) - forget the phone portion and build a simple stripped down slab with a basic colour display capable of handling BBM and its features running off of wifi and/or network access. Phone radios and everything else are actually superfluous to most developing countries users needs if they have simple messaging, small money transfers (its already being done in very simple forms including BBM Money), and voice through bbm. Market it for $15-$40 bucks and watch bbm explode. If smart phones are going for $75-$150 cheap this should be a big step down in cost from there.

Whatever range of BB devices being marketed in the medium-term future, including what I propose here, should be marketed on a break-even basis to simply rebuild brand and expand services which may be monetized.

Ok - let the backlash begin.
    SDTRMG and paper_monkey like this.
    01-09-14 02:52 PM
    So it would be like a BB version of an iPod Touch?

Wi-Fi only is one thing, but it's a different beast if there's wireless network access.

Anyway, I'm sure we could pick up apart any idea if we try hard enough. Still, it's an intriguing one. I could see its merits if handled properly. (And unfortunately handling things properly has always been BBRY's Achilles' heel.)
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-09-14 03:21 PM
    Agreed but I believe BBM's potential is virtually untapped. Your comment exposes inconsistency in mine - no network access without the phone radio so I say even ditch the network access. Make it a wifi machine and reduce it to the absolute simplest machine it needs to be to give people in developing countries a chance to access awesome communications through BBM.
    01-09-14 03:24 PM
    Not a bad idea at all.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    01-10-14 01:50 AM
    BBM Smart watch maybe?

Posted via CB10
    RedRangerReid likes this.
    01-10-14 02:59 AM
    Smart watch or better yet smart collaborations would be better. I don't care if people are using bbm on a commodore 64 as long as they are using it. Eliminate all barriers to use of bbm

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 05:57 AM
    BBM Smart watch maybe?

Posted via CB10
    Better perfect voice recognition!

Posted via CB10
    RedRangerReid likes this.
    01-10-14 06:11 AM
    This must be the greatest idea of all time, we all know that free WiFi access is widely available in developing countries...

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    aniym likes this.
    01-10-14 06:38 AM
    Apparently you know. I'm sure you also know that access to wifi will probably not increase in future in developing countries. Clearly wifi is dead.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 07:25 AM
    This must be the greatest idea of all time, we all know that free WiFi access is widely available in developing countries...

--------------------

Further evidence of the non-availability of wifi in developing countries (especially free public wifi):

Middle paragraph page 5: http://www.wballiance.com/wba/wp-con...Wi-Fi-1.00.pdf

Stupid Rwandas - they think free public wifi is a good idea. Who would have made this investment in 2013 - get with the times!: Smart Kigali to offer residents free Wi-Fi | HumanIPO

Someone please tell South Africans that wifi is dead!: South African wireless community networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey Indonesia! Wifi is dead!: Wow, Free public Wi-fi in Jakarta! | The Muslim Times

Anyway, Serbanescu you get the point. Cynical cranks like you are f'in dead weight in communities like CrackBerry.
    01-10-14 07:44 AM
    Further evidence of the non-availability of wifi in developing countries (especially free public wifi):

Stupid Rwandas - they think free public wifi is a good idea. Who would have made this investment in 2013 - get with the times!: Smart Kigali to offer residents free Wi-Fi | HumanIPO

Someone please tell South Africans that wifi is dead!: South African wireless community networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey Indonesia! Wifi is dead!: Wow, Free public Wi-fi in Jakarta! | The Muslim Times

Anyway, Serbanescu you get the point. Cynical cranks like you are f'in dead weight in communities like CrackBerry.
    Thank you for the info, seems a very promising trend. While I still believe your idea to be impractical, I take back my irony.

(A little more civilized reply from your part would also be beneficial for CrackBerry, also.)

--------------------

01-10-14 07:50 AM
    Serbanescu - I apologize for my tone and language. Hope you have a good day.
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-10-14 08:31 AM

Oh and it's people like you who make it a "not so nice place with a CRACK like that, BE NICE here" He was just stating his thoughts.
    01-10-14 08:41 AM
    Oh and it's people like you who make it a "not so nice place with a CRACK like that, BE NICE here" He was just stating his thoughts.
    It's ok, sjwpenney apologized. We all make mistakes from time to time. After all, my remark was unnecessarily ironic - and proved to be at least partially false

--------------------

01-10-14 08:56 AM
    A $15-$40 price would mean it would have to be subsidized by a data plan, right? That means $12-$15 per month for the subsidy plus whatever the carriers want to charge for the data.
    01-10-14 09:17 AM
    bbm smart watch maybe?

Posted via cb10
    shut up and take my money!!
    01-10-14 10:57 AM
    This device already exists and goes by many different names. In the United States, you can buy the Motorola Moto G for $99, never put a SIM card in it and use it on WiFi only for pretty much anything the phone has to offer, including BBM. I know because my kids are doing exactly that with their Moto G.

If BlackBerry actually put out a WiFi only device, it would still be competing against the smartphones that can easily do WiFi only. Including the BB10 devices that also function great on WiFi only. I don't see a market for them in this, just because any cheap Android device that will run BBM can be a dedicated BBM device with no monthly expenses except WiFi.
    01-10-14 12:16 PM
    I see cheap wifi devices all the time that don't match the cost of a cheap smartphone. I think a niece has a children's 'tablet' that might be $40 or less bought 2-3 years ago. I think an efficient manufacturer could reduce bbm basic requirements to a basement level device. $100 may be too expensive for many.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 01:28 PM
    why do you need BBM device, if you can get $40 android phone with BBM capabilities ?

there are some android phone price around $40 - $60
    01-10-14 07:19 PM
    why do you need BBM device, if you can get $40 android phone with BBM capabilities ?

there are some android phone price around $40 - $60
    If the market has dropped to that level then I agree with your point.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 09:40 PM
    This is a good idea, its primary function is bbm but you can run all the apps and games. I hope mr chen is listening

Posted Via Q10 Super Phone
    01-10-14 10:37 PM
    Pretty sure the developing world make phone calls from time to time. But I could be wrong

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 03:24 PM
    Generally the idea is not bad! But I would prefer a cheap solid BlackBerry 10 device like the Lumia 520/ Moto G to get BlackBerry 10 and BBM into as many hands as possible.

2GB Ram
    16GB Storage
    Internal Battery
    4" 720p Display
    3G
    WIFI
    Solid Camera (Front and Back)
    GPS
    AM/FM Tuner
    1.2 Ghz Dual Core CPU
    Bluetooth

No need for:
    LTE
    NFC
    HDMI
    Miracast, WiDi
    Micro SD slot

Price: 149 USD unlocked pay as you go. Sell the devices for (foxcon) manufacturing costs. Don't make a non 720p Display, 1GB RAM,... as software and app compability work would be more expensive than hardware savings.

Keep some nice features as Bluetooth 4.0 LE, miracast,... to your higher end devices.
    01-12-14 04:51 PM
    Personally, I think this is genius. Good job!

Basically, it is an Ipod Touch for BBM. Sounds good to me.

You could get really crazy and make a super strong qwerty BBM for kids that automatically sets up a peer to peer network within 100m or so. Think of it as a modern walkie talkie! I'd give this one a simple 4mp camera and SD card though. Gotta have stuff to share, ya know! It would, of course, also connect to normal wifi. Actually, these would be great for out door science education in schools, taking pictures, making logs, sharing observations, submitting assignments, and so on. Sure beats trying to write on a piece of paper held up to your partner's back, in the wind... ah, the good old days...

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-14-14 02:33 PM
    What about just selling z10s at cost...
    01-14-14 04:45 PM
28 12