I think they're just pointing out that there's demand for net book style products.

I can certainly understand your concern as well. By now I think the OS and hardware is developed enough to where situations like the PlayBook's won't happen again.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    I taught that net books were dead?? The fact that they didn't do anything a real PC could do and were basically just like tablets but with extra bulk - lead to no one buying them anymore.

Anyway what Google can do with CHROME isn't even close to anything BB10 is able to achieve. You can build any form factor you want - PHONE, TABLET, NETBOOK, LAPTOP, DESKTOP.... but if you don't have the functionality, you don't have a viable product. BB10 is an OS and a really nice one that can join the ranks of.... what several hundred different Operating Systems. Consumers buy platforms, not operating systems..
    08-21-14 08:18 AM
    I taught that net books were dead?? The fact that they didn't do anything a real PC could do and were basically just like tablets but with extra bulk - lead to no one buying them anymore.

Anyway what Google can do with CHROME isn't even close to anything BB10 is able to achieve. You can build any form factor you want - PHONE, TABLET, NETBOOK, LAPTOP, DESKTOP.... but if you don't have the functionality, you don't have a viable product. BB10 is an OS and a really nice one that can join the ranks of.... what several hundred different Operating Systems. Consumers buy platforms, not operating systems..
    Chrome is a well developed platform, but can't be relied on to manage mobile devices or or desktops, which is what this thread is about.

If BES services could be expanded to manage desktops/laptops/netbooks/tablets, it would make sense to develop an OS for the devices that would run optimally with BES. Same way that BES is cross platform, but offers the best experience on BB10 phones. A net book or tablet used for work would benefit greatly from BlackBerry Balance.

I think that you're correct when you say that consumers buy platforms. The same could almost be said about businesses. The game changes when devices and cloud services are now storing confidential information. That's why BlackBerry is still in business and that's why I think it would be a good move to broaden the scope of BES.

08-21-14 12:01 PM
    Chrome is a well developed platform, but can't be relied on to manage mobile devices or or desktops, which is what this thread is about.

If BES services could be expanded to manage desktops/laptops/netbooks/tablets, it would make sense to develop an OS for the devices that would run optimally with BES. Same way that BES is cross platform, but offers the best experience on BB10 phones. A net book or tablet used for work would benefit greatly from BlackBerry Balance.

I think that you're correct when you say that consumers buy platforms. The same could almost be said about businesses. The game changes when devices and cloud services are now storing confidential information. That's why BlackBerry is still in business and that's why I think it would be a good move to broaden the scope of BES.

I think this is A great idea & if BlackBerry is able to provide BES for both notebooks & mobile devices it will again be a market leader.

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-23-14 04:38 AM
    It's called Blend

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-27-14 08:49 AM
    It's called Blend

Posted via CB10
    I don't think Blend is good enough, it has to be able to secure the whole desktop or notebook. I believe that Blend only have security as to the connection between the phone and the computer and it only covers some apps in the phone and not everything.

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-27-14 11:58 AM
    I don't think Blend is good enough, it has to be able to secure the whole desktop or notebook. I believe that Blend only have security as to the connection between the phone and the computer and it only covers some apps in the phone and not everything.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. Blend will be great, and I'm really excited to see what it's capable of, but just like you said, Blend alone won't be able to secure the entire desktop. While the information on the phone and displayed in Blend would be safe, any and all data elsewhere on the external device may still be vulnerable to intrusion.

08-28-14 08:42 PM
56 123