Well that's precisely why I was asking about whether a windows or mac runtime would be possible. To address your first point, you may be right. I'm not sure what it would take to create a version of QNX for the desktop. If we learned anything from the PlayBook it may be that creating an OS for different devices is trickier than it seems.

To address your second point, the idea behind developing a QNX desktop OS with a runtime, would be the convenience of not having to recode any software. You could install your games and office applications and they would (ideally) run flawlessly due to the mac or windows runtime silently chugging away in the background.

Just like how I can download an android app and have it run perfectly on my phone, I'm imagining a way to install windows/mac/linux software on a computer running a QNX based OS.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10! ?
    In my experience, runtimes are always slow and laggy
    08-09-14 07:35 AM
    In my experience, runtimes are always slow and laggy
    That might be the case with Java (Android), and pure .NET, for example.

Not the case with "bare metal" runtimes, like those of C, C++, Objective C
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-09-14 07:51 AM
    Could be. The android runtime is slow and leggy on my phone anyway.
    08-09-14 08:28 AM
    Could be. The android runtime is slow and leggy on my phone anyway.
    I think everyone here can agree that the current runtime can use improvement, but I personally have noticed the improvements since the last update, and am excited to see the next improvements with 10.3.

08-10-14 01:30 PM
    Why in the world would they do that when they can't even get people to buy phones with the OS?????????? Again, what in the world would a BB10 computer provide that every other computer can not?
    The main concept behind my original idea was as a way to further scale BES services to encompass management of an organization's desktop and laptop computers. This would be an additional revenue stream for the company and would potentially offer a solution more secure than systems that currently are windows or mac based.

Then I got to thinking that it could potentially be something sold to consumers as well. If the runtime was up to snuff and people didn't have to buy different versions of the games and software they already have on their computer, and at the same time benefit from the security that a company like BlackBerry can offer, I could see another potential revenue stream there.

Based on comments that other people have made, it sounds like running windows or mac applications may not be realistic without some kind of agreement with the respective companies, but interestingly enough, it sounds like working with Linux software isn't that far of a stretch.

So I guess my original question has been answered, but to answer yours, my main idea was that BlackBerry might be able to offer a desktop OS for both consumers and enterprise that would be a more secure option compared to what's currently available, with the added bonus of sporting a runtime that would allow them to (potentially) run all the software they already have without having to change or purchase different versions. This would offer another tier of services not much unlike the ones they offer in mobile that would be an additional revenue stream.

08-10-14 01:44 PM
    I think this is a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-10-14 01:50 PM
    I thought along the lines of Parallels Desktop for Mac, just get something similar running on BB10 (problem might be CPU architecture, as Macs are i386-based same as Windows PCs, phones are usually ARM-based).

MS Windows application windows show up as if they were a Mac program, it's like almost fully integrated, yet powered by a separately purchased and installed Windows license.

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-12-14 07:06 PM
    I thought along the lines of Parallels Desktop for Mac, just get something similar running on BB10 (problem might be CPU architecture, as Macs are i386-based same as Windows PCs, phones are usually ARM-based).

MS Windows application windows show up as if they were a Mac program, it's like almost fully integrated, yet powered by a separately purchased and installed Windows license.

If what I'm thinking was achievable, software like Parallels wouldn't be necessary because we'd be able to install windows or mac software directly to the computer with out the use of virtualization software or emulators. There would be no need for the additional licence purchase.

I recognize now that this would most likely be a major issue with Microsoft and Apple, but Linux and other open source services would likely play ball. With an attractive enough deal, perhaps Apple and/or Microsoft could reach some kind of agreement to allow some if their programs to play nice, but that just may be wishful thinking for now.

08-12-14 08:43 PM
    Na. Android is an OpenSource OS. Windows and MacOS aren't.

We may yet see a QNX version for consumer desktops or even a Desktop BB10, but no such thing as a Windows/Mac runtime.
    Whilst I can't see BlackBerry doing it, don't be so sure. Look at ReactOS.
    3_M4N likes this.
    08-13-14 07:00 AM
    Since I got my first BlackBerry I want a BlackBerry laptop. It would be nice.

BB Proud
    08-13-14 07:03 AM
    yes i would love a Blackberry-style netbook that would be a great idea.
    But netbooks are dead. Maybe a laptop.

BB Proud
    08-13-14 07:04 AM
    ReactOS.

I was about to mention it.

Pretty much as close as you get in replicating MS Windows ( ...apparently without using a single line of code from MS).

3_M4N likes this.
    08-13-14 06:41 PM
    I actually have never heard of this before today. Very interesting. So to apply this to the concept we've been playing with on here, would it (in theory) be possible to run a React OS runtime on a Desktop version of QNX and therefore run windows applications? That would be huge!

08-13-14 09:14 PM
    I'm just wondering if runtime is always slow & BlackBerry needs to depend on runtime to have enough apps for the peoples appetite. Shouldn't BlackBerry make devices that are way more powerful?

This would compensate for the slow or sluggishness of runtime, right?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 10:10 AM
    BB10 as a Desktop OS?-img_20140531_091730.jpg

Like this one?

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 and 3_M4N like this.
    08-14-14 10:44 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140531_091730.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	290744

Like this one?

Posted via CB10
    Uummm...what is that?

BB Proud
    08-14-14 10:58 AM
    BB10 as a Desktop OS?-mockit_14082014112929.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 11:29 AM
    And the kernel would need to be heavily patched for it to able to work on most of our regular computers. Also the real time aspect and the microkernel architectures becomes relevant in embedded devices and mission critical applications. But when it comes to general purpose computing they lose their significance.

Also who would develop applications for it anyways. BlackBerry can't even get developers to create apps for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 02:18 PM
    I'm just wondering if runtime is always slow & BlackBerry needs to depend on runtime to have enough apps for the peoples appetite. Shouldn't BlackBerry make devices that are way more powerful?

This would compensate for the slow or sluggishness of runtime, right?

Posted via CB10
    I don't use a lot of Android ports, but from my own personal experience, it seems that the runtime continues to improve with each software update that we've received (smoother experiences and more apps that will run). That being said, in my opinion, the efficiency of the runtime is more than likely a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

I'm no expert by any means, but I think that the quality of experience we have using apps that use the run time is more dependant on the development of the runtime it's self, rather than the hardware specs of our phones.

If anyone has any better insight into this I'd welcome your comments and corrections because I really am not qualified at all to be spreading information about the subject.

08-14-14 02:41 PM
    As Chromebooks are doing well, BBBooks would not be a crazy idea.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand the correlation.

Chromebooks are doing well because Google is doing well.

BB can't sell phones. BB couldn't sell the Playbook. Now you want a BBBook?
    TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    08-14-14 04:28 PM

I think they're just pointing out that there's demand for net book style products.

I can certainly understand your concern as well. By now I think the OS and hardware is developed enough to where situations like the PlayBook's won't happen again.

08-14-14 09:35 PM

Yes.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-14-14 09:40 PM
    Hahahahahha
    Who mad post this thread
    Bb10 is living on the basis of android and u are talking anout desktop hahhaha

posted via Q10
    08-21-14 02:53 AM
    And the kernel would need to be heavily patched for it to able to work on most of our regular computers. Also the real time aspect and the microkernel architectures becomes relevant in embedded devices and mission critical applications. But when it comes to general purpose computing they lose their significance.

Also who would develop applications for it anyways. BlackBerry can't even get developers to create apps for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    That's a ver good point you bring up about the benefits of the microkernel in a general computing environment. I believe that. There are certain jobs that would greatly benefit from computers that never crashed. Actually one of those would have been handy when I was in college. :/

As for who would develop applications for it, I think that it wouldn't be much different from the handset OS. There would be certain enterprise applications developed specifically for the OS, but then users would be free to install apps compatible with the open source runtime installed. One of the main drivers behind this idea is that there initially would be no need to develop applications because the runtime would allow apps from other platforms to be installed on the desktop, the same way our phones can install android applications.

08-21-14 07:49 AM
    Hahahahahha
    Who mad post this thread
    Bb10 is living on the basis of android and u are talking anout desktop hahhaha

posted via Q10
    Yes. The idea of evolving BES to manage desktop computers was initially why I started the thread. It's another software service that I think BlackBerry could expand into that's related to what they already do.

Developing a native desktop OS was more of an after thought, but it turns out is actually a feasible idea. Not sure if you read the other posts here, but I find the idea interesting to say the least.

08-21-14 08:03 AM
56 123