I don't know about Monday, but on June 8th, Apple is going to tell all their developers (5000 in person and probably a few 100,000 more via streaming) about a bunch of new APIs coming in iOS9. Apple won't reveal everything of course but there will be enough new stuff revealed to get the devs excited..

Meanwhile it sounds like all Blackberry are telling their developers is, 'develop for Android / put your apps on Amazon'
    Kind of a lame answer my friend. WWDC is well known. I get the frustration but people really need to stop making assumptions about things because John Chen hasn't personally called them up to go over his plans.

Said a different way, walk up to Tim Cook next November and ask him for details about the iPhone 8? See how far you get.
    05-30-15 09:29 AM
    You can't do this example. Do that. The old times when the device with Windows Phone 7 isn't know if getting update or not. Microsoft refuse to answer and the developer team also. After sometimes, the bad news coming. No update for WP7 devices.
    This can apply also to MeeGo and Nokia N9.

Anyway let's see. I hope to be wrong, honestly i love and support BB10. And don't have any desire to switch.
    Absolutely bad news can (and does happen). But silence can also happen when there is good news too.

The point is, interpreting a company's silence as an answer is kind of pointless. Companies share very little information public and only in specific controlled settings normally.
    05-30-15 09:30 AM
    If your information is correct and the two devices will be full android, then BB10 is dead as BlackBerry cannot release an Android device and another OS at the same time due to restrictions on Android licensing.
    Nah Samsung has Tizen, and has made Windows Phones. They would have to strip the Android runtime out of BB10 to be compliant though, making it worthless to many. More reasons to switch than stay from the looks of things for me. Could have went Android a while back and based on the Android apps I see using BB10 it too looks pretty sad compared to iOS apps. Guess I'll see what Tim Cook is offering in August/September and decide whether to go new, or buy the 6 or 6 plus at $100 less after the announcement.

Posted via Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-30-15 11:32 AM
    Kind of a lame answer my friend. WWDC is well known. I get the frustration but people really need to stop making assumptions about things because John Chen hasn't personally called them up to go over his plans.

Said a different way, walk up to Tim Cook next November and ask him for details about the iPhone 8? See how far you get.
    Just as lame of an answer.

Obviously there is going to be an iPhone 7 and 8. Nobody in their right mind would question that! And therefore Mr Cook has no reason to address the question.

Will there be new BlackBerry hand sets after 2015? Everybody in their right mind is questioning that! It is foolish to let such questions fester.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 05-30-15 at 12:50 PM.
    05-30-15 12:27 PM
    "Not doing everything myself is important. So we'll be able to focus on really great design and security and privacy. We won't try to do everything and we will focus on priorities."

Not doing OS development anymore and outsource most of it it to Google/OHA would perfectly go with this statement.
    "This is the basic building block on everything we do. And this is the major differentiation of the company. It's starting in the software and the server that manages all these devices � not only our device, but also iPhone and Android and Windows. We also made our device more secure than everybody else's. A lot of people ask me why I'm in the device business. First, it's a good business to be in if you can make money. Second, it's our first entry point of security. If we can secure the device, it makes securing the software and the data management and the collaboration and file sharing and content and pictures and videos and everything that much more easier. So this is why all the governments in the major developed countries are using our devices. You can see the heads of state using our devices."

It isn't hard to find justification for almost any point of view if you pay attention to statements that support your opinion and ignore those that don't. This was the first answer to the first question, can't see how you could miss it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    05-30-15 12:28 PM

Despite Cook's silence on the matter, the various Apple fan forums aren't full of thread after thread of concerned users and developers asking whether Apple has given up on iOS development, or if there will be a new iPhone this year, or if there is, might it be running Android.

Apple can afford to be quiet and coy and play at having surprise reveals in their conferences and events, because there is no question there will be new devices and updated OS releases. The only question is what will the new hardware and software do. (...and how will Apple lock it down or restrict it, of course...)
    05-30-15 02:55 PM
    This was the first answer to the first question, can't see how you could miss it.
    Found it, read it, don't think it is relevant for the future of BB10. A "secured" Android would do the same for Chen. Oh no, it would be better, because there would be no app gap left and BB is porting various apps to Android anyway.
    05-31-15 02:52 AM
    Found it, read it, don't think it is relevant for the future of BB10. A "secured" Android would do the same for Chen. Oh no, it would be better, because there would be no app gap left and BB is porting various apps to Android anyway.
    A secure Android that isn't on Google's main branch is going to be DOA. How many secure forks of Android have been created so far that don't even have the market penetration of BB10? Four? More?

My statements about the difficulty of securing Android, or indeed any Linux derived OS aren't pulled out of the air, they are based on the many attempts made so far.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    Bluenoser63 and TheAuthority like this.
    05-31-15 07:40 AM
    Chen did say in BES12 rollout that BB10 was robust and would serve the company for years.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 02:01 PM
    BB10 is the old guy in the Monty Python sketch saying "I'm not dead yet". But now the old guy isn't saying anything. He may not be dead but he is probably on the cart.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-31-15 03:46 PM
    Chen did say in BES12 rollout that BB10 was robust and would serve the company for years.

Posted via CB10
    Enterprise developers can't even do simple graphs and charts. It is robust, but you cannot just stop moving with application OS features and SDKs.
    05-31-15 07:45 PM
    BB10 is the old guy in the Monty Python sketch saying "I'm not dead yet". But now the old guy isn't saying anything. He may not be dead but he is probably on the cart.
    Old Man - I don't want to go in the cart...

Is BB10 Dead?-wpid-tumblr_lpqx459fnj1qaaqmq.png
    05-31-15 08:31 PM
    I love the Due 2.0 productivity app on my iPhone 6 Plus. If BlackBerry can work with developers of the most popular non-gaming apps for iOS, like Snapchat, then BlackBerry 10 has a chance. I would love to have Due for BB10, or for Remember to gain similar functionality.

Also, BlackBerry should do what Apple and IBM did and partner with a software/services giant, with BlackBerry being the hardware and OS partner. A similar partnership, coupled with existing BlackBerry plans for the enterprise, could make BB10 even more valuable and attractive.

Posted via CB 10 | VZW Z30 STA100-3 | OS 10.3.1.2744
    05-31-15 08:56 PM
    Enterprise developers can't even do simple graphs and charts. It is robust, but you cannot just stop moving with application OS features and SDKs.
    I've seen the lack of charts and graphs trotted out a few times. A quick look at the Qt site where you download development tools shows that the Qt Charts and Qt Data Visualization Tools modules, which are very nice, are available starting with the professional license at $174/month. Also on the enterprise license which is negotiable. I'm not sure what the current relationship between BlackBerry and Qt is or how much BlackBerry would have to pay to make all of these extras available in their currently free development environment, but I'm sure that is a factor given that while they are profitable money is also clearly not flowing in the hallways.

I've been developing some enterprise data analysis and visualization applications using Qt 5.4 for the past few weeks. If there is anything that I've found in 5.4 that I wish was is Cascades it would be the QStandardItem and QStandardItemModel and associated classes. Writing good views, even as charts, once you have a good Model/View/Controller paradigm is quite easy. In fact Qt 5.4 comes with an example pie chart view that is quite a good start. It is nice not to have to write them, but good data visualization software is worth money, as reflected in the license fees, and someone is going to have to eat that cost.

In fact the biggest thing missing from Cascades is the fact that one can not render text into an image. This is only an issue if you want to be able to save annotated graphics and there is work around but it high lights one fact. Cascades is a very beautiful corner that TAT painted BlackBerry into. Once BlackBerry/TAT broke from standard Qt they are stuck with the very difficult problem of moving forward. They have to port all of the changes implied by Cascades onto Qt 5. And there is no telling what features may turn out to be too expensive, time consuming or whatever that they won't make it into a Cascades based on Qt 5. Silence on this front may be nothing more than they have no idea, yet, how they are going to solve this problem. But the main lesson here is that this is the same problem anyone will have when they decide to take an evolving system and strike off on a path that differentiates their product from the main development trunk. This is true if the system is Qt, Linux, Android, or OpenSSL. It can be done, and isn't really that difficult, but it can be extremely expensive.

One final comment. Don't make the mistake of thinking Qt 5 is all a bed of roses. One of the issues I've run into is that the current Linux development environment MySQL driver links to a deprecated MySQL client library. The problem turns out to be well know, and the fix appears to be simple. You just create a symbolic link from the version of the library the driver is looking for, to the unversioned link to the installed library. That's fine for development, but then you have to find a way to make this change stick in an enterprise with managed desktops and an IT department. Maybe BB10 and Cascades isn't suitable for some enterprise work because it lacks features available in Qt 5, but Qt 5 isn't ready for enterprise, at least Linux enterprise, because the MySQL driver is broken.
    06-01-15 07:30 AM
    NO BB10 is not dead, it's alive and kicking. And the only mobile platform that's capable of representing the future of mobility.

Basic Facts, that's all.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-01-15 11:55 AM
    You do realize Android Apps are crap in terms of functionality. Even Android ports are crap. Nothing functions as well as a Native built BB10 App.

Unfortunately for the time being, Dev's are concentrating on Android Apps and Ports. That's until BB10 gets more recognition and market share.

The best outcome is to dump Android and it's App limitations for BB10 and Native App Development. iOS is a different story, Apple has pulled the wool over everybody. Most useless platform which many are blind to.

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority likes this.
    06-01-15 12:02 PM
    NO BB10 is not dead, it's alive and kicking. And the only mobile platform that's capable of representing the future of mobility.

Basic Facts, that's all.

Posted via CB10
    Is BB10 Dead?-1365542984506.jpg
    06-01-15 01:06 PM
    Unfortunately for the time being, Dev's are concentrating on Android Apps and Ports. That's until BB10 gets more recognition and market share.

Posted via CB10
    Now there's an optimist, I don't even hear Chen talking about increasing market share as much as settling into his new territory...
    06-01-15 05:09 PM
    Now there's an optimist, I don't even hear Chen talking about increasing market share as much as settling into his new territory...
    When pressed by an interviewer, Chen did say that he wants to see the marketshare go "north of 1%"

Way to be bold, Mr. Chen!
    06-01-15 05:28 PM
    Despite Cook's silence on the matter, the various Apple fan forums aren't full of thread after thread of concerned users and developers asking whether Apple has given up on iOS development, or if there will be a new iPhone this year, or if there is, might it be running Android.

Apple can afford to be quiet and coy and play at having surprise reveals in their conferences and events, because there is no question there will be new devices and updated OS releases. The only question is what will the new hardware and software do. (...and how will Apple lock it down or restrict it, of course...)
    Agree, but not the point. :-)

Once again, most companies do not divulge Roadmaps in public; and what they do divulge is often vague, high level, or around specific targeted events.

If you're waiting for BlackBerry to outline for you what their plans are, you're waiting at the wrong time. Try CTIA. Mobile World Congress. CES. Investor Days. Earnings calls give more insight.

Let me put it a different way. For the last 17 years, I've worked in some well known tech companies.

Current company: Will NOT give any roadmap presentation or divulge upcoming products except with key partners under strict non disclosure agreement; or at a specific planned event. "Roadmaps" in this circumstance are very vague, and very high level.

Last company: Will go absolutely no roadmap presentations at all. We announce when we release. End of story.

Company before that. Only gave roadmaps to key partners under the strictest of NDA and only a couple had access because they participated.

Company before that. We announced big products when they shipped. We would do launches at timed events and give high level roadmaps under NDA or - occasionally - really vague ones in public that were rolled out at timed events.

Company before that. Absolutely NO roadmaps in public. None. Nada. Nil. We announced when we shipped.

I get that people are uncertain and want to know what's happening. But reality is that very, very few high tech companies give out anything roadmap related unless under very controlled conditions that they plan.

Sucks, but we're gonna have to wait. What Chen is doing isn't unusual.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 06-01-15 at 09:15 PM.
    06-01-15 08:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    And Thor repeatedly said that BB10 was coming to the PlayBook. Too be honest, BBOS is dead... yet it still serves the company and will continue to do so for years to come.
    eyesopen1111 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-02-15 08:57 AM
    Well - it sounds like they're rolling out an update as we speak
    06-02-15 11:59 AM
    So where are the updates that need a SDK or it is just tweaks.
    06-02-15 02:55 PM
    Well based on past releases (i'm talking all OS platforms), best to see wait and see what it does to the user experience. It may well be a downgrade

just sayin...........
    06-02-15 03:13 PM

Basic Facts, that's all.

Posted via CB10
    What does this even mean? Basic fact, it is at like 0.5% market share.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 06:41 AM
532 ... 89101112 ...