well, to be honest, I am happy that BB10 is not using BIS.

Bis was OK for email and maybe some native apps like twitter, fb, bbm.
    It was horrible for browsing! speeds were tragic even with 3G. unless you are connected to wifi.

Are you aware that your carrier, 3 Mobile, has stopped selling BB10 devices but still sell Legacy devices on BID?

#believeinfilm
    03-31-14 06:10 AM
    So they only charge you extra is you sign for a data plan for let's say an iphone and you want to have the BIS option too.

No extra charges if you get a BIS data plan in the first place.

#believeinfilm
    Yeah. The question is how much does it cost to have same amount of data on BlackBerry and standard plan?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 06:11 AM
    Yeah. The question is how much does it cost to have same amount of data on BlackBerry and standard plan?

Posted via CB10
    When you sign the contract on a new device they all cost the same, except the BIS data plans last a lot longer.

#believeinfilm
    03-31-14 06:13 AM
    Are you aware that your carrier, 3 Mobile, has stopped selling BB10 devices but still sell Legacy devices on BID?

#believeinfilm
    TBH, I do not care. I buy phone without plan. this keeps me free from additional commitments.

and still, no BIS is good, imho.
    03-31-14 06:48 AM
    TBH, I do not care. I buy phone without plan. this keeps me free from additional commitments.

and still, no BIS is good, imho.
    The way I look at it is this, either way you have to pay for a mobile service, buying a new device every 2 years on contract does give you value for money with nothing to pay upfront and lower monthly payments in the end. Payg or 30 days contracts re false economy IMHO

#believeinfilm
    03-31-14 06:53 AM
    BIS held a lot of people back from using other carriers... On a recent trip to Europe I used a Lebara Mobile SIM card in my Z10 without issue, Lebara is pretty direct about "not support Blackberry phones", if I had my old 9700 I would have been needed use a different phone or go with no mobile service.
    03-31-14 08:27 AM
    The way I look at it is this, either way you have to pay for a mobile service, buying a new device every 2 years on contract does give you value for money with nothing to pay upfront and lower monthly payments in the end. Payg or 30 days contracts re false economy IMHO

#believeinfilm
    no. I do not go for Pay as you go. it's too expensive
    I take 30 day contract

with three got 2k minutes (+3k in 3) 5k texts and unlimited data (including 4G) for like 15 pounds..
    03-31-14 08:49 AM
    OK, this is really embarrassing and hard to admit, but after owning a BlackBerry for over 3 years and being on Crackberry for around a year, I still don't know what BIS is LOL.

Just goes to show how it could never be used as a selling point (I think I read people discussing that somewhere?)

Lol I know, I'm terrible. Help purge me of my sins.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 09:40 AM
    BIS is Blackberry Internet Service.

It was essential for legacy devices as they could access BlackBerry servers only with the plan.

Posted via CB10
    badiyee likes this.
    03-31-14 09:42 AM
    no. I do not go for Pay as you go. it's too expensive
    I take 30 day contract

with three got 2k minutes (+3k in 3) 5k texts and unlimited data (including 4G) for like 15 pounds..
    That's good but you do have to pay for the device upfront.

#believeinfilm
    03-31-14 01:12 PM
    Charges are different in different countries and on different carriers. On the plan that I have my BlackBerry Z10 on, BIS would cost an additional $10 a month if I had a legacy BlackBerry device. Since my plan already includes data, that would mean that I pay twice for data on a legacy BlackBerry device. Needless to say, I am happy that BB10 devices don't require BIS and I wouldn't use one if it did at this point.
    yessuz and web99 like this.
    03-31-14 01:43 PM
    Well you would have to migrate all the current BB10 users to new carrier plans for BIS to work.. Making it more complicated for existing and new consumers

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 01:44 PM
    That's a myth, bis is plenty fast, it's not apparent on a BBOS device but if you bridge it to a PlayBook you'll them see really how fast it is.

#believeinfilm
    Exactly BB10 hardware with BBOS7 software and you are flying like Playbook speeds.
    03-31-14 01:46 PM
    Unlimited BIS for �5/7.50 was the norm in the UK before this (failed) mater plan of BB10 software & hardware even existed, you simply paid for a bundle or per MB if you wanted to use the carriers data and not BIS.

With 3G/3.5G came the ability to not check the "switch to carrier for data streaming".

When advertising 500MB included in BB plans that is for carrier data not BIS, that may have changed now ?? I used to use a few GB of data over BIS a month, I've done the same with a bridged PlayBook...this combo is to die for and market leading and secure, and we got BB10 with no BIS and now PlayBook follow up. Desktops/laptop are dying in the billions billions out there and Thorny *** seen tablets were dying..WTF no they are going to be the monopoly as are mobiles. BIS BB07 and Blackberry tablets were ready to rule the world, but they launched incomplete OS, and did not upgrade the BBOS& hardware to BBB10 specs and work on QNX behind the scenes until ready.

BIS is compression, value and security...no other handset maker or telco offers it...And Blackberry stripped it from their core...lol Well done Heinz and cheers Chen for not reversing it fully.

Telcos do slow down BIS over there own connection on a BB handset, because the connection costs to BB server is a loss to them.
    03-31-14 02:02 PM
    Yeah. And then 2011 autumn happens and you stay off line...

For me bis was okish. But media playback and streaming was pathetic. Uploading ti youtube? Slow as hell.

And then, if you change operator, country, something fcuks up in the system and you cannot activate your phone FOR DAYS, you have to ask operator to fix it on server side etc.

It was very good in times when data was expensive and speeds were slow.
    Now - it just too old.

It's like ISDN - it was awesome when everyone around you were using dial-up. It is "meh" when everyone around you is using optics...

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 06:31 PM
40 12