Roku's smart TVs are Wi-Fi enabled, very smooth setup and easy to use. If BlackBerry could not buy, a strategic partnership could be a good move. Roku could expand beyond TVs. BlackBerry & Roku could build a touch screen "smart house" control panel system & screen. Home automation, home IOT, and personal IOT has a bright future, not to mention all the possibilities in enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    454vette likes this.
    03-25-15 09:18 PM
    Roku is arguably one of the best media stream boxes out to date. Especially its Roku 3 unit. I mean, its much better in the USA over Canada for example.
    BlackBerry to buy Roku? Interesting, may end up being an asset to BlackBerry for the IoT strategy.
    But I would go for a Strategic Partnership, but it all depends on how much this company will cost.

I believe Roku's net worth is between $300M to $400M.
    03-25-15 09:28 PM
    I would guess 300-400, because the initial IPO information back in September said they were hoping to raise $150 million.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 09:34 PM
    Won't happen with Chen. He doesn't have the business smarts for the consumer game. He wants to stick with his comfort zone which is catering to business.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:52 PM
    BlackBerry & Roku could build a touch screen "smart house" control panel system & screen. Home automation, home IOT, and personal IOT has a bright future
    Not sure BlackBerry needs Roku to do so.
    04-03-15 05:10 AM
    They've got the "Cyclone", I've got a prototype, but they dropped it... :-(

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    04-08-15 10:10 PM
    Doesn't make sense for Roku or BlackBerry: neither has experience in home automation, nor have a masterplan towards it. BlackBerry wants to manage and secure IoT data as opposed to building the endpoints sending and receiving it. Roku is an entertainment company, their devices pull data from a source and display it.

Even if the transaction were to happen, there would still be the need to hire staff with experience in home automation and control so the cost of the sale would be all but wasted at that point anyway.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-29-15 12:10 PM
    Roku does well because Roku focuses on one thing that is in demand in the consumer market. Until the next one comes around. I had 3 WD TVLive devices. I connect to a Plex Media Server. When 2 of my WD units started to get a bit flaky I replaced them with Roku 3 with the native Plex Client. I will stick with Roku until they too show sign of needing replacing, and then I'll get the best solution out there. It may be the Roku 8, Apple TV or The BlackBerry Streaming Device 2. It's a finicky market. And home automation is even more so, and quite niche at this point.
    05-29-15 03:04 PM
    New report out this morning that Roku has 49% share of connected tv's in US. Would have been a great buy for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 10:32 AM
    I hope that BB does not buy Roku since BB does not know the consumer market. People buy Roku devices because it is easy to use and and has great access to content. And not because of IOT
    01-08-17 07:46 PM
    New report out this morning that Roku has 49% share of connected tv's in US. Would have been a great buy for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Big part of that is their working with TCL... who incorporates Roku in most of their sets. And for the conference last week, seems like they are now the 3rd biggest selling brand in the world in smart TVs.

Anyway... no, don't see Roku as a good fit for BlackBerry. They are limited on how much cash they have, and most of their focus is on Enterprise Security Software or Automotive.... entertainment streaming isn't a very good fit within that .

But then I really don't get the Mars Chocolate company being to big into PET foods and now spending almost $8 Billion for more PET Hospitals.
    01-09-17 01:47 PM
    ROKU soars 67% on 1st day of trading as a public company. Now has a market cap over $2.2 billion. 15 million subscribers.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-17 04:50 AM
    ROKU soars 67% on 1st day of trading as a public company. Now has a market cap over $2.2 billion. 15 million subscribers.

Posted via CB10
    Clearly it wasn't in BlackBerry's price range to begin with.

My view of consumer IoT.... AI is going to be the deciding factor on what makes it in that market.
    10-12-17 08:57 AM