The bank will get :
    - merchant discount rate which is a percentage of the selling price to finance the purchase of the BlackBerry Priv or maybe Passport
    You've worked in this industry long enough to know that one of the fundamental tenets of banking regulation is the separation of commerce and banking. What you're suggesting here isn't legal in most countries.

- interest earned on revolving of the credit given

- late payment charges, in certain countries this is as high as 24%

- cheap customer loyalty programme to lock the customer in with them for another year or two depending on how many months they are offering an interest free instalment payment scheme.
    This is just financing. All banks do this already. For example, banks finance automobile purchases. But we don't have specific financing programs for unpopular cars. If you're going to finance cars, you really want to finance the popular ones.

- if they tie up with a telco they will charge the monthly telephone bill to the card and there is additional fees earned by the bank too.
    Banks have been pushing for HCE precisely because banks want to move away from telco partnerships in payments. You know this.

Integration fee from the bank? In actual fact there is none as there is no necessity to do so. They will probably just charge a certification fee for testing the contactless payments. This is something they will do for every new card product released anyway. This I would suggest BlackBerry to take it up to speed up the process & negotiations.
    Banks have spent an enormous effort to integrate with Android Pay and Apple Pay. Why would BlackBerry Pay be any different? We have to provision new account numbers to these devices, which obviously means authenticating the user. We have to properly deal with a whole host of customer service issues that involve integration with BB if done properly. We have to deal with reissuing cards (or virtual cards), which requires integration.

Even the mapping of tokens to accounts, as you know, is not standardized across the industry at all. Banks have had to integrate specific solutions with Google and Apple and each network. Some of that work can be reused for BlackBerry Pay, but not all of it.

You just can't avoid the fact that this issue is the same as every other app or integration issue that BB faces. There is no BB Auto or BB Car Play for the same reason. No partner is going to invest time or money in such a thing when there so few people in the world using BlackBerry.
    05-15-16 07:22 AM
    You've worked in this industry long enough to know that one of the fundamental tenets of banking regulation is the separation of commerce and banking. What you're suggesting here isn't legal in most countries.

This is just financing. All banks do this already. For example, banks finance automobile purchases. But we don't have specific financing programs for unpopular cars. If you're going to finance cars, you really want to finance the popular ones.

Banks have been pushing for HCE precisely because banks want to move away from telco partnerships in payments. You know this.

Banks have spent an enormous effort to integrate with Android Pay and Apple Pay. Why would BlackBerry Pay be any different? We have to provision new account numbers to these devices, which obviously means authenticating the user. We have to properly deal with a whole host of customer service issues that involve integration with BB if done properly. We have to deal with reissuing cards (or virtual cards), which requires integration.

Even the mapping of tokens to accounts, as you know, is not standardized across the industry at all. Banks have had to integrate specific solutions with Google and Apple and each network. Some of that work can be reused for BlackBerry Pay, but not all of it.

You just can't avoid the fact that this issue is the same as every other app or integration issue that BB faces. There is no BB Auto or BB Car Play for the same reason. No partner is going to invest time or money in such a thing when there so few people in the world using BlackBerry.
    I'm afraid you don't understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying BlackBerry go to the Banks & help them put their Visa or Mastercard into the phone. Don't bother to promote any BlackBerry Pay.

Make this a contactless payment and Suit the banks system. So there is no new things for the banks to do. Let the bank market it as a banks Visa or Mastercard. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 11:15 AM
    I'm afraid you don't understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying BlackBerry go to the Banks & help them put their Visa or Mastercard into the phone. Don't bother to promote any BlackBerry Pay.

Make this a contactless payment and Suit the banks system. So there is no new things for the banks to do. Let the bank market it as a banks Visa or Mastercard. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    That does not make sense - Visa and Mastercard are separate entities from banks. Also the numbers of regulations that the banks, credit card companies that have to go through to adopt a new payment system is huge undertaking. And more importantly blackberry can't even commit to actually updating BB10 and is just issuing patches and bug fixes or even support their own facebook app - does not install any confidence on them being able to handle rolling out successfully another point of sale system.
    05-15-16 11:43 AM
    That does not make sense - Visa and Mastercard are separate entities from banks. Also the numbers of regulations that the banks, credit card companies that have to go through to adopt a new payment system is huge undertaking. And more importantly blackberry can't even commit to actually updating BB10 and is just issuing patches and bug fixes or even support their own facebook app - does not install any confidence on them being able to handle rolling out successfully another point of sale system.
    Of course it makes sense. This is not a new payment system, it's an existing payment system from Visa & Mastercard.

The standards are the existing standards from Visa & Mastercard. They don't have to do anything new, just put the contactless payments from Visa & Mastercard into a BlackBerry phone running BlackBerry 10 & Android instead of a card.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 12:09 PM
    This make it much easier, BlackBerry only has to sell the idea to Visa and Mastercard or at least one of them. Visa Mastercard or both or them will then work together with BlackBerry to convince the banks of the advantages of this payment system. This facility can also be linked to BBM Money.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-15-16 12:24 PM
    Of course it makes sense. This is not a new payment system, it's an existing payment system from Visa & Mastercard.

The standards are the existing standards from Visa & Mastercard. They don't have to do anything new, just put the contactless payments from Visa & Mastercard into a BlackBerry phone running BlackBerry 10 & Android instead of a card.
    Who will provision the tokens to be added to the device? And resolve those tokens again at auth and settlement?

How will a user add his/her card to his/her device? There is no way to do that securely without integration with every issuer who wants to support this.

Your talking about MC and Visa standards. Those standards require integration with issuers. I used to lead the team that did the Apple Pay and Android Pay integrations. These are not simple things at all. Issuers will do it if they can reach hundreds of millions of potential users. They won't even take the meeting (outside of Canada of course) for a tiny number of BB users.
    05-15-16 12:33 PM
    This make it much easier, BlackBerry only has to sell the idea to Visa and Mastercard or at least one of them. Visa Mastercard or both or them will then work together with BlackBerry to convince the banks of the advantages of this payment system. This facility can also be linked to BBM Money.
    So how would you sell this to Visa or MC?
    05-15-16 12:35 PM
    Entering the payment system is complex and expensive. Not all markets are ready for NFC payments... look at the US where only a few merchants has the necessary equipment.

Canada is an interesting example. BlackBerry had been trying since the 9900 to enter into the NFC payment system by signing agreements with banks. The other interesting thing about Canada is the fact that most merchants already have contact less terminals.

But BlackBerry never got any traction and the few banks that had an app accepting the 9900 or the newer BlackBerry 10 never really supported them. BlackBerry made a major mistake by taking a fragmented approach allowing banks to build their own app.

Apple on the other hand just made major in road here. All the major bank signed on and have a co marketing agreement with Apple. Bank that accepts apple pay has minimal infrastructure investment and can advertise apple pay.. and expect increase in volume.

So in the end, it's all about taking the proper approach based on the market.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 12:37 PM
    Flabbergasted! Blackberry doesn't believe in the viability of BB10. They partnered with the worst of the two options that were left. I understand the partnership with Android, iOS would never open up to a partnership. Blackberry as an OS and a device maker has run its course. It died before it got a chance to start. As I have said for awhile, the former co CEO's failed to act. That alone killed Blackberry. There were no other contributing factors. The failure to adapt was so complete that nothing that was done years later had any chance of bringing back this once great company. Blackberry let iPhone get a foothold in a market that Apple never even tested. Apple brought in a new device and stampeded right over Blackberry. Blackberry was left face down, bleeding, and broken with no chance of recovery. These "idea's" that continue to surface are pipe dreams made by those who just cant accept the fact that the era has come to an end. Move on, the rest of the world did it years ago. CC processing will never save this company. Only one thing could possible save it, Native Apps!
    05-15-16 01:10 PM
    So how would you sell this to Visa or MC?
    Visa and Mastercard are losing market share to mobile payment systems. They haven't lost much at yet but once it catches on it could be a lot. It will be difficult for BlackBerry to sell this because of its low numbers, but they can offer this as a secure alternative to cards. The system can be linked to ones BlackBerry ID which means if you change device it will move to your current BlackBerry device.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-15-16 01:29 PM
    Flabbergasted! Blackberry doesn't believe in the viability of BB10. They partnered with the worst of the two options that were left. I understand the partnership with Android, iOS would never open up to a partnership. Blackberry as an OS and a device maker has run its course. It died before it got a chance to start. As I have said for awhile, the former co CEO's failed to act. That alone killed Blackberry. There were no other contributing factors. The failure to adapt was so complete that nothing that was done years later had any chance of bringing back this once great company. Blackberry let iPhone get a foothold in a market that Apple never even tested. Apple brought in a new device and stampeded right over Blackberry. Blackberry was left face down, bleeding, and broken with no chance of recovery. These "idea's" that continue to surface are pipe dreams made by those who just cant accept the fact that the era has come to an end. Move on, the rest of the world did it years ago. CC processing will never save this company. Only one thing could possible save it, Native Apps!
    The biggest problem that BlackBerry has is that it's management fails to appreciate the pot of gold they have in BB10. Mistakes were made in the past by the Lazaridis-Basile CEOship and BlackBerry seems to be still reading from their outdated script. BlackBerry prospered when these two had a shared vision and were working together. Their fall out brought about this confusion that seems to be at BlackBerry. BlackBerry is a communications company. That's what it does best secure communications. Software and hardware are essential for this. You can't have BlackBerry without BlackBerry hardware and BlackBerry software, period!

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    05-15-16 01:41 PM
    Visa and Mastercard are losing market share to mobile payment systems. They haven't lost much at yet but once it catches on it could be a lot. It will be difficult for BlackBerry to sell this because of its low numbers, but they can offer this as a secure alternative to cards. The system can be linked to ones BlackBerry ID which means if you change device it will move to your current BlackBerry device.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    It's too late to enter that market. Why would Visa and Mastercard partner with BlackBerry when they already did with Apple?

Visa and Mastercard are well aware of the mobile payment threat. And they had been adapting well for the moment

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 01:54 PM
    i have been using cibc mobile payments on my blackberry since 2013... no one seems to know about it so every time i use it, they were amazed. they tried promoting mobile payments once in 2014 with a contest to win some prizes, it never picked up
    Loc22 likes this.
    05-16-16 01:27 AM
    i have been using cibc mobile payments on my blackberry since 2013... no one seems to know about it so every time i use it, they were amazed. they tried promoting mobile payments once in 2014 with a contest to win some prizes, it never picked up
    True, they could easy partner with major banks and build a solid system around it.

In fact, they could have built an app that integrates banking systems, similar to Isabel. Regardless of what bank you use, you just need that app.

But then it's less on day to day payments and more into banking, which isn't a bad start either.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-16-16 04:12 AM
    For BlackBerry's security. I don't think banks would want to put their customers at risk of losing their money.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    Security.........that excuse again, really?
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    05-16-16 07:53 AM
    There is so much wrong with this post. Native apps are never coming. Stop dreaming.
    05-16-16 09:46 AM
    There is so much wrong with this post. Native apps are never coming. Stop dreaming.
    Think he ment in the past tense....

And he is right in that BB10's situation really lies with the decisions that MIKE & JIM made when they ignored the iPhone and subsequent Android clones. The STORM'S initial retail success, showed their was a market.... but it's failures showed that more (much more) was necessary for BlackBerry to be competitive in this market.
    05-16-16 09:57 AM
    I believe that Apple Pay & Google play failed
    Except they did not, especially not Apple Pay. It continues to expand and even hardened holdouts like the Canadian banks have now come on board. It works fantastic and it is hassle free. On what exactly are you basing your belief?
    05-16-16 11:23 AM
    Yes BB will make some money from mobile payments but not from Hardware,Software is what they offer and too bad this deal ends in 2017,It was for 3 years just like the Mercedes one,now if only the Banks can crash like Mercedes did in Spain after dropping BB,They all might come running back,haha..Maybe they'll renew and that's great for BB,lol
    BlackBerry announces three-year deal with EnStream for secure financial transactions | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by jojo beaconsfield; 05-16-16 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
    05-16-16 02:22 PM
    WOW! It's obvious that this post flew right over you.
    05-16-16 03:07 PM
    This is what I'm talking about however they should develop it for the Piv too. Then they should do some joint programmes with the banks to sell BlackBerry phones too. Is that so complicated for people to understand?

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 10:38 AM
    This is what I'm talking about however they should develop it for the Piv too. Then they should do some joint programmes with the banks to sell BlackBerry phones too. Is that so complicated for people to understand?

Posted via CB10
    They tried. No banks wanted to partner with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 01:37 PM
    So, instead of using a credit card, you expect consumers to carry around a smartphone with an incompatible OS that they otherwise wouldn't want - just to do mobile payments?

It makes more sense if it's the smartphone that people want to use as their personal computing device - and happens to do mobile payments. Not a mobile payment device that also happens to be a smartphone.
    05-17-16 02:10 PM
    They tried. No banks wanted to partner with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    If they indeed tried & no banks wanted it then there is something wrong with the marketing personnel from #BlackBerry or the bank employee who rejected the offer.

Here is the reason why ;

- Statistics show that on an average only approximately 30% - 50% of all cards issued by the banks are active and revenue generating.

There is no reason why the banks should decline a marketing programme that will ensure 100% active cards with revenue.

- The activity of financing the purchase of a product especially an instalment payment plan is very lucrative to the bank. It is usually several times higher than the revenue generated from a card swiped over the counter.

So the bank employees who rejected the proposal is essentially rejecting a higher revenue generating activity.

- This is a very high non-interest generating income for the bank which most banks are concentrating to capture for number of years now. Why kick someone offering you an opportunity to achieve your KPI out the door?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 02:00 PM
    BB10 market share has now decreased to 0.2%. It's not worth the effort to even pick up the phone.
    05-25-16 02:04 PM
237 1234 ...