Apple found it's calling with iPod and iPhone. Samsung transformed into a leading electronics manufacturer.

Both were at the bring of failure. They both had to shrink, dramatically.

Ironic isn't it? Apple and Samsung, both well versed in failure, now earn ALL the profits in this industry.

It's now BlackBerry's turn. Will they be able to make it?
    10-06-14 07:30 PM
    O ya! I think they can.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 08:03 PM
    But the markets they got in weren't fully saturated. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's going to be difficult for BlackBerry to turn heads away from competitors.
    10-06-14 08:06 PM
    Apple found it's calling with iPod and iPhone. Samsung transformed into a leading electronics manufacturer.

Both were at the bring of failure. They both had to shrink, dramatically.
    When, exactly, was Samsung on the "brink of failure" and had to shrink dramatically? Outside of a few minor bumps on the road, Samsung has been continually growing for about 60 years.

And Apple failed (and nearly went totally bust) with computers. They didn't "come back" selling computers, though - they had to create a totally new market in order to start their road to success: the advanced and highly-integrated portable MP3 player (aka iPod). That's because once they had lost in computers, there was no significant recovery possible within any reasonable timeframe.

But something else you need to understand about both Apple and Samsung: they are making CONSUMER products intended to have a BROAD appeal. BB is making business products designed to have a narrow appeal. That means that BB is never going to have the level of success that Apple and Samsung have, unless they abandon their current strategy and become consumer-focused. Security is great for businesses, but for consumers, it's WAY too much in the way of what they want to do with their products and makes things too complicated for most, which is why BB is no longer making any real effort to target consumers.

I don't think anyone, even BB, has any illusions that BB is ever going to be a dominant force in the consumer smartphone industry. Chen has openly admitted as much.
    10-06-14 08:37 PM
    BlackBerry could open the the floodgates to security via secusmart, cloud BES and movirtu to the public. Don't forget eBBM.
    All the little nuggets you would get from the Blackphone are already integrated.

Together with office 365 you are golden.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-06-14 08:48 PM
    When, exactly, was Samsung on the "brink of failure" and had to shrink dramatically? Outside of a few minor bumps on the road, Samsung has been continually growing for about 60 years.

And Apple failed (and nearly went totally bust) with computers. They didn't "come back" selling computers, though - they had to create a totally new market in order to start their road to success: the advanced and highly-integrated portable MP3 player (aka iPod). That's because once they had lost in computers, there was no significant recovery possible within any reasonable timeframe.

But something else you need to understand about both Apple and Samsung: they are making CONSUMER products intended to have a BROAD appeal. BB is making business products designed to have a narrow appeal. That means that BB is never going to have the level of success that Apple and Samsung have, unless they abandon their current strategy and become consumer-focused. Security is great for businesses, but for consumers, it's WAY too much in the way of what they want to do with their products and makes things too complicated for most, which is why BB is no longer making any real effort to target consumers.

I don't think anyone, even BB, has any illusions that BB is ever going to be a dominant force in the consumer smartphone industry. Chen has openly admitted as much.
    I think a lot of times people forget how huge samsung really is most people know them for their phones and don't realize they've got their hands into everything from aerospace to $79 microwaves at walmart all the way to movie production equipment. I honestly don't think they ever been small lol! Well may e at their very beginning.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    10-07-14 12:08 AM
    I think a lot of times people forget how huge samsung really is most people know them for their phones and don't realize they've got their hands into everything from aerospace to $79 microwaves at walmart all the way to movie production equipment. I honestly don't think they ever been small lol! Well may e at their very beginning.

One of the most diversified corporations in the world, with a war chest that allow it to overcome tragedies like the Samsung Moment LOL.

The Moment would have sunk any other company's phone dreams.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 10-07-14 at 08:20 AM.
    10-07-14 12:56 AM
    And for the record when BlackBerry gets their supply chain sorted out maybe then we can talk about a turn around. Until then I don't know.

10-07-14 08:04 AM
    One of the most diversified corporations in the world, with a war chest that allow it to overcome tragedies like the Samsung Moment LOL.

The Moment would have sunk any other company's phone dreams.
    And very tight ties to government. The chaebol business model is so alien to anything North American that it is an irrelevant comparison. Even GE is nothing like them.
    10-07-14 10:39 AM
    That depends on what you mean by turnaround. If you mean profitability, yes. With good leadership, BlackBerry should be able to hold its own.

If however, you mean Blackberry back as king of the hill in the smartphone universe, I don't think there is a chance. Too much momentum has been lost, plus the negative consumer perception that exists, will be close to impossible to overcome.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 01:19 PM
    Every time I hear people going on about consumers I think Big Blue, yep. Good ol' IBM. You know, the ones that used to make computers, now cater to the consumer? market...
    Last I looked they are doing OK, at least I hope so I have 50K shares in the damn thing, and I have not seen an products on store shelves, or bought a product from them in yrs.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    10-14-14 01:04 PM
    IBM is an entirely different animal.
    10-14-14 02:42 PM
    For every one tech company that has managed to bounce back from near disaster and has thrived.... there are twenty others that never made it and are side notes in the tech journals.

BlackBerry is BlackBerry..... can't compare them to other companies. Just have to hope that they find a niche and can secure that niche for long enough to become profitable and to give them time to find other "real" sources of revenues.

For BlackBerry to really make a come back and be BIG, would take them doing something BIG. Maybe they invent something that no one else can, or maybe they get absorbed into another company and disappear from the memory of mankind....

Been dealing with Verizon on some technical issue at work, they have a whole division dedicated to IoT and M2M (Verizon Wireless Machine to Machine Services) they aren't working towards some future, they are living it now and already have products and services in the market for enterprise customers. Maybe at some point little old BlackBerry comes up with a "real" IoT product or service and some huge company like Verizon sees the value and buys them.
    10-14-14 03:01 PM
    Palm and Nokia went down the tubes. That happens too.
    10-14-14 03:22 PM

Bro. Every single one of your posts is a negative anti BlackBerry rant. You seem smart. Why are you here if you hate BlackBerry so much?