I don't know if this has made it around on CrackBerry, but I reckon we need more stuff like this (not a guy walking around with elephant feet, blowing up clouds of rainbow smoke and dissolving petrol trucks into rubber toys at the press of a button, oh dear Frank Boulben)

I honestly had shivers running down my spine when watching it. Genius!

****SPOILER ALERT****
    The narrative goes like:
    Point out you started the whole smartphone thing, your heritage, admit the need for something new, hard work and innovation that has been put in, then show features of a highly desirable device, it's security, reliability (QNX), phone / camera / hub features, and zoom in on the device with dramatic music.
    We'll done!

My name is Prem, I'm using BBM ... from my QuZe10 ...whatarhyme...
    01-15-14 11:01 PM
    Never seen this before, but i love IT! They should have made something like this for their SB ad, not the crappy one we saw and that nobody understood..
    milo53 likes this.
    01-15-14 11:09 PM
    That would run a little too long for a regular commercial, but it would have been nice if we'd had a commercial even closer to this (most of the footage shown there was shot over the course of this year, especially the QNX stuff) for the SuperBowl game.
    01-15-14 11:20 PM
    Yup, we blogged that up. Done by PixelCarve... same company that did that "BlackBerry Blade" mockup thing before.

I think just a company looking for some attention, so the do up something like this that gets our attention (and we blog it up).

Definitely a GREAT commercial though. Still love it.
    01-15-14 11:23 PM
    Just watched the video three times in a row!

Lol. What I found interesting is they have that line about "we built our company upon security, productivity and best in class communication".

Last week during my interview with the new CEO, John Chen, that's exactly what he spoke to. No matter where we go, that's what BlackBerry will continue to be about - security, productivity and communication.

Still a spot on vid.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    01-15-14 11:28 PM
    Yup, we blogged that up. Done by PixelCarve... same company that did that "BlackBerry Blade" mockup thing before.

I think just a company looking for some attention, so the do up something like this that gets our attention (and we blog it up).

Definitely a GREAT commercial though. Still love it.
    Well, they might be looking for attention but they definitely got mine. Mr. Chen should fire the marketing department and get a company that can make something like this! Blackberry needs to show what they can do, they can't go apple style and have an ad like the one they showed on the SB. Apple could have an ad of a gorilla eating a banana and they'd still sell, but BB needs to show stuff like this (the bentley, mercedes, NASA, etc.)!
    01-15-14 11:30 PM
    Excellent work!! This is so ready to go on air!!

Posted via Black ZeD on 10.2.1.1925
    01-15-14 11:34 PM
    Kinda scary to think if a commercial like that could have had a significant impact on US sales of the Z10 (and Q10) if it were aired during the Superbowl. Shorter, of course, but it truly did a great job of incorporating a lot of the new features of BB10 (Hub, Time Frame camera, BBM Video, Browser, improved app support) while actually explaining what BlackBerry is doing to move into the modern smartphone arena.

There are still a significant amount of people that still think the BB10 devices are like the Bolds, Curves and Stor... er, Torches of yesteryear. To think what a clear message like the one portrayed in this ad could have done for BlackBerry, and what could have been with the BB10 launch... :'(

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:08 AM
    So true.

My name is Prem, I'm using BBM ... from my QuZe10 ...whatarhyme...
    01-16-14 12:46 AM
    Kevin, you should email that to Mr. Chen.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-16-14 12:51 AM
    Kinda scary to think if a commercial like that could have had a significant impact on US sales of the Z10 (and Q10) if it were aired during the Superbowl. Shorter, of course, but it truly did a great job of incorporating a lot of the new features of BB10 (Hub, Time Frame camera, BBM Video, Browser, improved app support) while actually explaining what BlackBerry is doing to move into the modern smartphone arena.

There are still a significant amount of people that still think the BB10 devices are like the Bolds, Curves and Stor... er, Torches of yesteryear. To think what a clear message like the one portrayed in this ad could have done for BlackBerry, and what could have been with the BB10 launch... :'(

Posted via CB10
    I second that. A lot of people tell me that they're not going to buy a BlackBerry anymore. Guess what? They're all legacy device users. When I ask them if they know about BlackBerry 10, they generally say what's different, it's a BlackBerry which lags. BlackBerry needs to tell the people what is BlackBerry 10, and this ad is perfect.

Posted via awesome Z10! Connect at pin:24C83E54 follow @ anubhavnagpal and subscribe to my channel C0001C740
    00stryder likes this.
    01-16-14 01:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    All these would probably not have had a significant impact on sales.
    Every mobile platform had a fast browser at that point. BBM Video was meaningless for people already used to Skype and Hangouts.

Time Frame camera thingy was pretty much the only REALLY cool feature that stands out to an uninformed customer in that video.

At the end of the day, the lack of apps at launch and the inferior specs of the Z10 would have still hurt BB10 sales. Lack of Instagram, for one, would have caused millions of lost sales.

A cheaper price for the Z10 and perhaps better specs would have done more for sales than this commercial.

J

Lol. What I found interesting is they have that line about "we built our company upon security, productivity and best in class communication".
    And the marketshare tanked because they failed to realise in time that most people wanted Netflix, Instagram and mobile games. Also a bit cheeky to tout 'best in class communication' when they were useless for video calls/chats where ARE pretty popular forms of commuication.

I'm glad Blackberry is seemingly learning from these mistakes. Fleshing out the ability to run Android apps is a good thing. Chen needs to focus on the most important factor - the price - to stay in the race. They can't afford to get complacent on the Foxconn thing. Cheap Android phones with Octacore processors will be flooding Indonesia at $200 or less by mid next year. Emerging markets are already switching in droves with BBM cross platform. Price is key.
    This promises to be an interesting year indeed.
    01-16-14 02:16 AM
    Maybe a decent ad for corporate media outlets but way to dry and "corporate world" for something like a Superbowl ad.
    01-16-14 04:34 AM
    All these would probably not have had a significant impact on sales.
    Every mobile platform had a fast browser at that point. BBM Video was meaningless for people already used to Skype and Hangouts.

Time Frame camera thingy was pretty much the only REALLY cool feature that stands out to an uninformed customer in that video.

At the end of the day, the lack of apps at launch and the inferior specs of the Z10 would have still hurt BB10 sales. Lack of Instagram, for one, would have caused millions of lost sales.

A cheaper price for the Z10 and perhaps better specs would have done more for sales than this commercial.
    I think you're under the impression that I was suggesting that a commercial like this (alone) would have turned the BB10 launch into something like the latest iPhone release or something near that level. That's not what I was implying at all; if you're in the US then you know how abysmal it is here in terms of the general public having a firm understanding of what BB10 is and what BlackBerry is doing to redefine it's hardware/software platform.

I'm not suggesting that they would have sold out in 24 hours or had back-logged pre-orders like Apple. I'm suggesting that had the Superbowl ad provided a clear and concise message like this ad does, instead of going the "weird and wacky" route to model the typical Superbowl ad that's usually shown, then perhaps it would be much easier for BlackBerry to sell devices here. App-wise, fine, can't really shake that even with 10.2.1. But nothing comes close in comparison to the Q10 in terms of user experience on a qwerty (before "Typo," lol) and the Z30 isn't the best spec'ed device available but it can go toe-to-toe with the best of them.

BB10 as a software platform is leaps and bounds ahead of anything that we had with BBOS - yes, even with the still-missing features - but people are still under the impression that these phones are just the next upgrade from the last legacy device. They don't realize that it's more similar to going from owning a Motorola Razr in 2006 to owning an Android-powered Motorola Razr today.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 10:56 AM
    Another thread with the same video. Where are the mods? Combine them all.
    01-16-14 10:58 AM
    Another thread with the same video. Where are the mods? Combine them all.
    This one features posts from Kevin himself so I think it wins.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 11:00 AM
    I believe the ROI on Super Bowl ads is quite poor. A dedicated campaign with versions of the ad with varying lengths and details would likely be more useful.
    01-16-14 01:47 PM
    I realize the point of the thread is to highlight an awesome ad, rather than actually suggest that BlackBerry should run a Super Bowl ad like this now. Nonetheless, it does remind me what last year's Super Bowl ad could have been.

I doubt Super Bowl ads are in BlackBerry's future (at least while it is focused on regulatory industries and government). In fact, I doubt any TV advertising is in its future. That would be spending a lot of cash to reach people that BlackBerry is no longer trying to reach. So we will have to make do with the Crackberry community reminding us what could have been with gems like this.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 08:40 AM
    Very good video. But in the US unless you're on a leak, (just updated to 10.2.1.1925) like I just did the other day BlackBerry still leaving everyone in the US in their past stages. Kinda sad. This leak has made my phone far more superior! Couldn't be happier.
    01-19-14 08:54 AM
    Didn't see this, so thanks for the post.

Very well executed video.

This is why creative people outside BlackBerry should be used for marketing.

They can communicate the possible vision and future direction of the company and its products, effectively to the public and business.

Give them the tools and let them do their thing.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 08:55 AM
    Wow, that commercial is amazing. If that was the commercial BlackBerry had created and aired during the Superbowl, who knows where BlackBerry would be right now? Perception is everything, and this is one of those types of commercials that could have changed the perception of BlackBerry in America. It's a shame we were instead treated to the garbage that aired. I hope that this year is spent vastly improving the OS, it's features, and selection of apps; and the year after BlackBerry could try to reintroduce themselves, but this time with commercials of this type of calibre instead of the poor attempts we've seen thus far.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:36 AM
    I remember watching this video before that God awful SuperBowl commercial and BlackBerry expects the consumers to help spread the word. Push out some decent marketing to help us spread the word of BB10 so we don't look like total fools when we're doing it all on our own.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    01-26-14 01:48 AM