So, I work outside. More and more in the office these days but still, at times, I'm working out in the rain, operating heavy machinery or slinging rocks... I'm scared to carry my Passport with me in these situations so sometimes I forward my calls to my other device. Exhibit A:
    Another niche corner of the market BlackBerry could lock down.-img_20150507_165600.jpg
    My other device, a Sonim Bolt, has a smartphone version, but it doesn't have a physical keyboard. I've looked around. There was a phone by a Japanese manufacturer called NEC that resembled what I'm looking for. However, what I'm really looking for is having all of the advantages of BB10 in a dustproof, waterproof, basically bulletproof form. It needs a huge battery (the Bolt XP7 has a 4800 mAh battery!)
    The sales for these phones are probably more commonly straight from the manufacturer than other types of phones. It could easily be made in smaller batches and sold at higher prices. They would literally need to be indestructible as that's what a good rugged phone is. Anyone else see the market opportunity for BlackBerry in this?
    I'd buy one. Actually, I'd buy 4.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Prem WatsApp and Just Me like this.
    05-07-15 07:04 PM
    Yes, construction (or mining) is as valid an industry as banking or other white-collar industries.

So yeah, I'm sure there is a market for secure, efficient and bulletproof phones. :-)

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    05-08-15 08:23 AM
    Ah yes, this market is continually forgotten. Would love to see a modified Q10 fully dust, water and shock resistant.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 09:07 AM
    Blackberry won't even release a for-the-masses consumer phone that isn't a low-spec emergent markets device. Telephony hardware has two channels of profitability: volume sales and service bundling. The sort of ruggedised phone that you're suggesting has neither. The cost of development, fabrication and meeting the standards for IP68 or greater certification, produced in such low volume, could not be met short of being sold for a price at which not sane business would pay.
    05-08-15 11:19 AM
    Blackberry won't even release a for-the-masses consumer phone that isn't a low-spec emergent markets device. Telephony hardware has two channels of profitability: volume sales and service bundling. The sort of ruggedised phone that you're suggesting has neither. The cost of development, fabrication and meeting the standards for IP68 or greater certification, produced in such low volume, could not be met short of being sold for a price at which not sane business would pay.
    Exactly. The device pictured is very expensive. Especially the industrial chemical resistant variant.
    05-08-15 03:34 PM
    Ah yes, this market is continually forgotten. Would love to see a modified Q10 fully dust, water and shock resistant.

Posted via CB10
    And no dust,... ahem double-type... :-)

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    05-08-15 06:53 PM
    I would love to use a BlackBerry 10 ruggedized phone. My naked Z 30 has survived so far ,but i would love to have a phone that i dont feel the need to be so careful with. And i have tried many different cases but have not found one which did not hinder the BB10 experience

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 08:50 PM
    Ya.. your solution is a Z device with a rugged case. That's as close as a solution as you'll ever get.

Otterbox.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 11:46 PM