So obviously the news is out, BlackBerry is posting a billion dollar loss in this quarter. They only moved 3.7 total phones, I don't believe bb10 numbers were disclosed but the number is bad. Seems like bb10 sales have essentialy fallen off a cliff.

As BlackBerry continues to look for a buyer it is becoming clearer and clearer that BlackBerry will not be around in it's current state in the next 6 months. They have no momentum, they are bleeding cash, and are about to launch a flagship device just as apple has launched not only a flagship but a mid range device. And as the s4 and other top of the line phones have come out. BlackBerry is on borrowed time right now.

I want to look back, I did this before the bb10 launch too. Look at some of the statements that were made by the old regime "blackberry has leap drifted the competition with bb10". How asinine of a statement is that to this day. It was ludicrous even moreso then. It was over a year after that statement was made that bb10 finally launched.

When bb10 launched all we heard was how the demand was unreal and how it was he best day ever for blackberry in Canada and across the pond. BlackBerry told us the carriers (especially in the US) were excited for bb10 and they were going to promote it etc etc. Then Thorston came out and hailed the largest single order ever!!! 1 million bb10 devices ordered by one partner, he said it showed that bb10 was the real deal and people loved it and the carriers knew it was going to be big.

Looking back on this so many things are out of sorts. firstly by all accounts as nice as bb10 is clearly there was major bugs with software especially here in the US. People's phones restarting, lots of bugs etc. People want to give blackberry as pass because it's "new there will always be bugs" and "it's to be expected " blah blah blah. But didn't Thorston tell us he refused to put out a product unless it was perfect. Guess not. The issue with Verizon wasn't fixed until recently. Features that should have been included on release day (toast notifications, priority hub, email retention etc) all left out. Just now or well soon, will those be standard.

Then the big one apps apps apps. BlackBerry toted a the developer relations and the excitement they had for a new platform. But that was crap too. The apps still aren't there today. Not that blackberry can totally control that but money talks. Spend money to have devs build for blackberry.

And now here we are the day after the new flagship device is announced bbry says the lost a billion dollars last quarter, then the day after that a 7am launch of bbm for android is nowhere to be found.

BlackBerry should have done this year's ago, BlackBerry should have been making cross platform apps for a while.

So I want to know people. Did blackberry mislead the public to ensure a longer shelf life for blackberry. Have they been misrepresenting bb10 sales?

How long do you think blackberry has??

thoughts?
    09-21-13 01:17 PM
    i think BBM cross platform is an interesting subject. For some BBM is all they have a BB for. Now they are free to leave BB for iOS and Android and still have BBM. I can also see BBM bringing in new customers to BB if they think that BBM is good so a BB must have lots of good things. Its hard to say a few years ago what would have won out
    09-21-13 01:46 PM
    It's not really 20/20 Hindsight....

Here�s the List of Stuff RIM Needs to Solve for BlackBerry 10 to Succeed

Netflix, Skype and others - What is RIM doing to close the app gap

A lot of people here have said for a very long time that IF BlackBerry didn't launch their new Platform using the top of the line hardware priced competitive and with a very health amount of major Apps available. That they wouldn't survive. I think even Kevin did a list of the things BlackBerry needed to do well over a year ago (couldn't find it).... Which is very frustrating! If you don't listen to your #1 Fan, who are you listening too?

They didn't do most of them, and thus the new BlackBerry was pretty much the same as the old BlackBerry. And consumers saw not advantage to having one, only disadvantages.

As for how long they have they have left.... still don't know about the cash on hand. But you can bet sales of new devices and license is about to fall off a cliff... Who ever said they needed a buyer by November, might have been pretty close to right.
    09-21-13 02:50 PM
    It's the end for BlackBerry as we know them
    09-21-13 03:03 PM