It's mentioned on crackberry that the teardown produces a BOM of about $150 http://m.crackberry.com/heres-what-b...z10-costs-make

Those prices are probably based on minimum quantity orders (1k or so), and no matter how much weaker Blackberry is than Apple for that position, they're getting better than minimal order pricing.

So $150 for the BOM and another $30 for licensing and labor and you're at about $180.
    I would guess that we're looking at 5 or 6 million units. If they can find an effective way to move these quickly it would effectively double the BB10 population from where it likely stands today.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    09-23-13 01:54 AM
    I would guess that we're looking at 5 or 6 million units. If they can find an effective way to move these quickly it would effectively double the BB10 population from where it likely stands today.

This is where the prosumer idea falls to pieces, if they firesale them, then don't attract prosumers, they attract cheap garbage collectors.
    09-23-13 02:18 AM
    This is where the prosumer idea falls to pieces, if they firesale them, then don't attract prosumers, they attract cheap garbage collectors.
    Should they just bulldoze the inventory into the ground? They have a large inventory of a product that's not catching on. They don't have that many choices.

09-23-13 02:26 AM
    A loss is a loss.

It's simplereally - in, out and balance - anything else is creative accountancy, or as i like to call it LYING.
    09-23-13 02:34 AM
    Should they just bulldoze the inventory into the ground? They have a large inventory of a product that's not catching on. They don't have that many choices.

No this is the only option but it will not change the end of hardware.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    09-23-13 02:42 AM
    Yes they absolutely had to take the loss in inventory before an offer came up. Because if they didn't, the acquiring party could call off the deal because of a Material Adverse Change in the the company since the offer was made.
    09-23-13 01:23 PM
    5-6 million units is 9-12 months inventory at last quarter's sales rates.
    09-23-13 01:24 PM
    With the Z10... but they have the Q10 and Z30

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:38 PM
    I hope that BlackBerry begins selling phones unlocked off their website (free shipping included) at the discounted price. If some carriers, etc. are not restocking then at least it gives potential customers to get their hands on some inexpensive phones directly and more bb10 devices out into the wild.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    They won't ever do this. It would be a logistical nightmare and they're not setup for this.
    09-26-13 08:30 AM
    The inventory write down is 934 million dollars "primarily of Z10".
    09-27-13 07:53 AM
    Unless they really go after bes10 implementation with these knocked down Z10's as incentives.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 11:08 AM
    Post had nothing to do with topic so I deleted it. Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 10:15 AM
    They won't ever do this. It would be a logistical nightmare and they're not setup for this.
    Hmm, they are doing it right now from shopblackberry.com. $449 for a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 10:07 PM
    Hmm, they are doing it right now from shopblackberry.com. $449 for a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    I'm very surprised by this. This isn't their business model. It's only in the U.S. though. We'll see if this expands. Who knows - apple sells mainly direct to consumer - maybe this is a better model for them.
    10-01-13 11:05 AM
    They could compensate about 2 Million PlayBook owners.....

Truth is that in enterprise "niche" devices don't change nearly as quickly as in the consumer market. I know people with old curves running BBOS4 still. BlackBerry could go on selling Z10 to enterprise of another 18 months or longer. As long as they can find the right customer that is looking solely for a communications device.
    10-01-13 11:11 AM
    They are only doing this (selling direct) because their products will no doubt be delisted by the carriers very soon.
    10-02-13 10:12 AM
    They are only doing this (selling direct) because their products will no doubt be delisted by the carriers very soon.
    Already started. TMobile is the first. Several carriers here in Australia don't carry them at all now. A lot are in "wait and see" mode.
    10-02-13 11:46 PM
67 123