I'm on TMO with unlimited everything...3 phones.

Here's my dilemma :

Bought an iPhone and have it on At and T go phone prepaid. I use line 2 at 15/mo and the 100mb data at 20/mo and free texting with text free. It's pretty much my toy since I use a BB on TMO. I call over 3G so I hardly if ever use the voice minutes. It's my super private number and I mostly browse at home on wifi. I use the BB for work emails and phone.

My 14 yr old son, ran up a $1,000 bill on TMO calling Jamaica....grrr so I took away his phone. He is now using a prepaid sim that he is paying for.

So....the TMO contract is up on his line. He has data included and rather than let that line go - I am thinking of changing the # & putting that SIM in the iphone because I will get unlimited voice, text and data for the same price I am paying for the gophone stuff

The only downside is no 3G. Does it really matter? I know its slower but....

What should I do?
    08-30-10 09:16 PM
    EDGE or 2.5G is really not that slow as others have led you to beleive.
    it's pretty decent speed if you're gonna be checking emails and browse the web..
    now if you're planning to do hard core video downloads.. even the 3G is sluggish even on AT&T who claims that they have the fastest 3G in all the carriers..
    so you'll be fine with EDGE
    09-01-10 06:24 AM
    All depends on your patience. I actually think edge is really that slow for an iPhone.
    09-01-10 09:34 AM
    now if you're planning to do hard core video downloads.. even the 3G is sluggish even on AT&T who claims that they have the fastest 3G in all the carriers..
    so you'll be fine with EDGE
    Streaming video over 3G is just as good as over Wifi. I've attached some screen shots of a Youtube video. I'm not even in a Class 7 area at the moment, so download speed is only about 2Mb/s.

EDIT: I just checked out how it would look on EDGE. It won't even load Youtube HQ, or maybe it will, but I got tired of waiting after 2 minutes.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-01-10 at 10:12 AM.
    09-01-10 10:01 AM
    My 14 yr old son, ran up a $1,000 bill on TMO calling Jamaica....
    How did this not raise any eyebrows yet???

LOL

I leave my iPhone on Edge, I rarely put it on 3G and it works fine and it's pretty snappy.
    09-01-10 10:32 AM
    The difference is palpable and if you have been using 3g you will notice the difference. It depends how bad you want to have an iphone on tmobile, i guess you have no other option.
    09-01-10 10:36 AM
    If you never use 3G you'd never know it. Sometimes back when i had my 3GS i had to run on 2G when i was in awful signal area and it felt like pulling teeth trying to wait for something to load.

The difference is monumental but if you want an iPhone that badly then meh whatev just dont expect to try to stream much of anything.
    09-01-10 11:24 AM
    If you never use 3G you'd never know it. Sometimes back when i had my 3GS i had to run on 2G when i was in awful signal area and it felt like pulling teeth trying to wait for something to load.
    I agree. When I'm in a Class 7 area, I can barely tell the difference between that and Wifi.

Below is speed I typically get when I'm in a Class 7 area. My home service is 10Mb/s, so it's pretty good.

EDIT: Added screenshot
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-01-10 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
    09-01-10 11:28 AM
    How did this not raise any eyebrows yet???

LOL

I leave my iPhone on Edge, I rarely put it on 3G and it works fine and it's pretty snappy.
    I was so angry at him. I went to pay my bill and for years, it is the same amt and I saw some crazy amount. Well, we found all the Jamaica #'s. I called him and he admitted it was him - said he didn't know it wasn't included in unlimited everything. He also claims that he didn't talk that long...yeah right. TMO put me on an international plan and we got it down to around $577
    09-01-10 08:37 PM
    Thanks for all the opinions and advice. I was using the gophone so I had the 3G. For the past 2 days I have been using the TMO sim and it seems OK. I use the BB9700 for all my mail. I have been using the iPhone at work for reading and stuff and yes it is slower but I think it's OK for my needs since I am around wifi alot. I am going to hang on the gophone SIM just in case. Thanks all.
    09-01-10 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD