Here is something I find funny. In my 11 years of having Verizon (since Prime Co) I have NEVER had this issue. I am now running my iPhone 4 along with a Storm with Verizon and I have ZERO issues on the Storm. Tried it on the Droid, nope, Treo 700wx, nope, LG Chocolate, nope. I cant get this to happen on any of my Verizon phones. Im thinking it may be a GSM thing.

On a side note, after easily replicating the issue at work yesterday, Im now at home and cannot get it to drop not even 1 bar.

Either way, Steve Jobs' response is just unacceptable. I hold the phone in my left hand and my palm touches that area. Its no different than Apple themselves have always shown a hand holding the iPhone. They should have just left the GPS/Bluetooth/Wifi antenna inside the phone and put the cell antenna outside.
    06-25-10 07:29 AM
    Since I am just a viewer to the forums, and not a hardcore poster, I cannot post links. But over on Engadget, they posted a story about an email the Steve Jobs replied to. His idea on how to fix the reception problem?

"Just avoid holding it in that way."
    06-25-10 07:37 AM
    Since I am just a viewer to the forums, and not a hardcore poster, I cannot post links. But over on Engadget, they posted a story about an email the Steve Jobs replied to. His idea on how to fix the reception problem?

"Just avoid holding it in that way."
    See post #45 in this thread.
    06-25-10 07:40 AM
    This is taken from an article posted on PCWORLD.COM, located at:

Apple Responds to iPhone 4 Antenna Problem - PCWorld

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," reads an official Apple statement on Thursday.

"If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases," the statement concludes.

Jobs also replied to a few complaints sent to his e-mail inbox. One MacRumors reader asked Jobs what is going to be done about the signal dropping issue, and the Apple CEO replied in his typical brief manner: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

I would think that Apple would, at this moment be preparing to send every single iPhone 4 purchaser, a FREE bumper and an apology.
    06-25-10 09:23 AM
    I would think that Apple would, at this moment be preparing to send every single iPhone 4 purchaser, a FREE bumper and an apology.
    Don't count on it, as Jobs said 'You are holding it wrong.'
    06-25-10 09:32 AM
    Can somebody confirm the difference between dry hands and sweaty/moist hands? I'm guessing that those that have no problems have dry skin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 09:46 AM
    I'm curious to hear the experiences of those with hairy palms.
    06-25-10 10:24 AM
    I wanted to replicate the issue so I held the phone completely but could not get a single bar to drop off. I have relatively dry hands so who knows if thats something to do with it but I tried quite a few times before I gave up.
    06-25-10 10:31 AM
    I'm curious to hear the experiences of those with hairy palms.
    I'll let you know after July 2
    06-25-10 10:34 AM
    none to report here.
    06-25-10 10:36 AM
    I ran a small test this morning. I started streaming a radio station over my wifi network. While doing this, I placed my fingers over the 2 lower black strips on the antenna. Sure enough, I started to lose bars all the way down to no bars at all. The radio continued to stream perfectly and my email even continued to come in. I did this for about 5 minutes without any problems. So I don't know what to think.

As long as everything functions, I don't need to see any bars
    06-25-10 10:47 AM
    I wanted to replicate the issue so I held the phone completely but could not get a single bar to drop off. I have relatively dry hands so who knows if thats something to do with it but I tried quite a few times before I gave up.
    Have you tried in multiple places? I can replicate the issue easily at work but at home I cannot get it to drop even a single bar. By the way, completely dry hands here.
    06-25-10 10:49 AM
    Have you tried in multiple places? I can replicate the issue easily at work but at home I cannot get it to drop even a single bar. By the way, completely dry hands here.
    I've been home ever since I got my phone yesterday. And my hands are completely dry also.

I've only tried this over wifi. Are you using wifi at work and at home, and when you duplicate it at work, does anything stop functioning?
    06-25-10 10:55 AM
    No problems yet, but iOS4 needs an update though.
    06-25-10 10:59 AM
    I was going to get the new iPhone to make a move from BB, but now I think not. That response from Steve Jobs is basically and "FU" to the 600,000 people that purchased them. Yes, I know all flavors of phones have issues, especially new ones, but c'mon Apple. If I were a serious Apple fan I'd return mine until they get the problem fixed.
    06-25-10 11:39 AM
    Only at home, when I'm out I keep the phone in my frogz case mainly because I fear dropping it.
    06-25-10 11:53 AM
    lick your thumb and touch the gap. what happens?
    06-25-10 12:04 PM
    This is taken from an article posted on PCWORLD.COM, located at:

Apple Responds to iPhone 4 Antenna Problem - PCWorld

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," reads an official Apple statement on Thursday.

"If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases," the statement concludes.

Jobs also replied to a few complaints sent to his e-mail inbox. One MacRumors reader asked Jobs what is going to be done about the signal dropping issue, and the Apple CEO replied in his typical brief manner: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Steve Jobs is an egotistical a$$h073. Now that I've had a Storm and Storm 2 I have little respect for the co-CEO's of RIM either - the BlackBerry line does NOT live up to its hype, and their comments are offensive to me as a customer. They're like the politicians here in BC, Canada - the only reason any of them get any votes is because there's no one legitimate to vote for.

Having said that, Steve's comments about this are way over the top. If there is one thing stopping me from going iPhone it's how Steve's arrogance is reflected in the Apple products. I was getting past that with the addition of multi-tasking etc - but this issue and his attitude towards it have put me back on the fence.

- R.
    06-25-10 12:19 PM
    Steve Job teaching you how's holding your iP4 properly.. You must following Steve's cult instruction..

Last edited by VIDGMER; 06-25-10 at 12:23 PM.
    06-25-10 12:20 PM
    I was going to get the new iPhone to make a move from BB, but now I think not. That response from Steve Jobs is basically and "FU" to the 600,000 people that purchased them. Yes, I know all flavors of phones have issues, especially new ones, but c'mon Apple. If I were a serious Apple fan I'd return mine until they get the problem fixed.
    Exactly what he said! And since I set the technology direction for our company, we may be small but he's just lost out on sales to all of our people.

Apple can earn that back of course, by dealing with this issue in a customer-focused manner.

Seriously, if I were on the board of Apple, I'd rake Jobs over the coals for that comment.

- R.
    06-25-10 12:25 PM
    Steve Jobs is an egotistical a$$h073. Now that I've had a Storm and Storm 2 I have little respect for the co-CEO's of RIM either - the BlackBerry line does NOT live up to its hype, and their comments are offensive to me as a customer. They're like the politicians here in BC, Canada - the only reason any of them get any votes is because there's no one legitimate to vote for.

Having said that, Steve's comments about this are way over the top. If there is one thing stopping me from going iPhone it's how Steve's arrogance is reflected in the Apple products. I was getting past that with the addition of multi-tasking etc - but this issue and his attitude towards it have put me back on the fence.

- R.
    This is my 1st Apple product of any kind. I had just upgraded to the iPhone 3GS in May and I really liked it. That's why I returned my 3GS and waited for the i4.

I still have my BB curve 8310 and I intend to keep it for a backup. I still think the BB is a great phone, but not for my purposes. I like the ipod features of the iPhone and the email and web browsing. The iPhone streams audio better than my BB ever did (and I stream just about all day at work). I don't text and I rarely use the phone. So I can't really complain yet.

I agree with you 100% regarding Job's arrogance towards this situation. I too am waiting to see what Apple's going to do to correct this situation. We should be hearing something soon. You just can't tell all of the buyer's, "If you have a problem, hold the phone this way". He called it a "non issue".
    06-25-10 12:44 PM
    I think its ridiculous how they are handling the situation. My buddy had the issue and called apple. They told him to buy their case. Are you serious?! He returned the phone when he couldn't convince them to give him a free one when its a design flaw. He'll go back but not until its resolved or they start treating customers better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 01:23 PM
    Just bashers running their mouths rumors. I know of not one person that has this problem. I like Apple's advice "don't hold it that way" LOL Classic.
    06-25-10 01:35 PM
    Just bashers running their mouths rumors. I know of not one person that has this problem. I like Apple's advice "don't hold it that way" LOL Classic.
    Do you live in a dry environment or otherwise in a place where they would have dry skin?
    that's why they aren't having problems.

I can understand how they missed this (remember, the forst iP4 was in a skin to disguise it), but to not acknowledge it as a flaw and at the bare minimum they should include with each i4 a coupon for a free bumper in your favourite colour.
    06-25-10 01:56 PM
    I would be pissed if I had to put a bumper on my phone to talk on it... I've never used a case or a skin on any of my phones, and I never plan too.
    06-25-10 02:17 PM
121 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD