I suspect what happened was they had a great idea for how the device looked and went with it. In the end though they probably realized they completely screwed up and created the bumper to compensate.

If our wireless guy here knows it's a bad idea to have an exposed antenna without even thinking about it, why didn't the Apple engineers figure it out?

In their defense though I bet the marketing department told them how it was going to be, I have been through that a few times and you have to find a way to just make it work.
    06-24-10 12:14 PM
    That iOS 4 reception issue is looking more and more like a software bug � Boy Genius Report

Looks like its just an OS4 bug and NOT a hardware bug. I can replicate it on my 3GS on OS4 as well.

Of course there will be SOME signal loss. Every time you put your hand over the back it cuts off at least some of the signal strength. Doesnt take an engineering degree to have common sense!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-24-10 at 12:35 PM.
    06-24-10 12:30 PM
    Why do you guys think that Apple is releasing those bumpers? Hello! maybe apple knew about this problem hence they finally dipped into the cover market. Well either way i will be getting this phone. Im currently on a tilt 2. Either way i usually get a case for it anyways. So now it does fall into place as to why the bumper by apple only covers the sides. Great scheme by apple.
    So what Jobs called an incredible engineering design that is beautiful to look at now has to be covered with plastic/rubber/silicon to get the phone to work. Not only does it take away from the clean look he bragged about it makes him look more like a fool for not pointing this major flaw out.
    06-24-10 12:31 PM
    There are claims it is only a software issue that does not affect signal lose. Can you confirm if you are losing signal by dropped calls?
    yep its dropping calls.

Some iPhone 4 models dropping calls when held left-handed, including ours (video) -- Engadget

iSheep will now have to buy those girly phone condoms.
    06-24-10 12:35 PM
    Why do you guys think that Apple is releasing those bumpers? Hello!
    If this is the case (no pun intended) don't you think the bumper should have come with the phone?
    06-24-10 12:40 PM
    Don't get me wrong...I like the new phone, but this is laughable. Right out of the gate a major problem such as this. Apple should give everyone that got a new iPhone a bumper for free.
    06-24-10 01:20 PM
    Explain to me how this is a software bug. It only happens when the user physically holds the phone, yes? How does the software know when the phone is being held and when it isn't?
    06-24-10 02:26 PM
    That iOS 4 reception issue is looking more and more like a software bug � Boy Genius Report

Looks like its just an OS4 bug and NOT a hardware bug. I can replicate it on my 3GS on OS4 as well.

Of course there will be SOME signal loss. Every time you put your hand over the back it cuts off at least some of the signal strength. Doesnt take an engineering degree to have common sense!
    Did you ever have that same issue on your 3GS before you upgraded to iOS4??

Im really hoping its a software issue because after using the iPhone 4 there is no way in **** I can go to any other phone. It is the iPhone that I wanted in 2007 and have since been waiting for.
    06-24-10 02:37 PM
    iOS4 hasn't displayed this issue on my 3GS yet-
    06-24-10 02:51 PM
    Watched the video, I couldn't replicate it either.
    06-24-10 05:35 PM
    If this is the case (no pun intended) don't you think the bumper should have come with the phone?
    Not really. i mean if you look at it, the accessories are being aken out of phones more and more. Now a days all you get is a wall plug, cable and headset. In some occasions you dont even get a headset(tilt 2) Either way there is a large market for accessories which is why companies try to give you less for you buck in that category.
    06-24-10 06:21 PM
    Not really. i mean if you look at it, the accessories are being aken out of phones more and more. Now a days all you get is a wall plug, cable and headset. In some occasions you dont even get a headset(tilt 2) Either way there is a large market for accessories which is why companies try to give you less for you buck in that category.
    SO I guess you're saying Apple really doesn't care about it's customers.

Ya ya, I just couldn't resist.
    06-24-10 07:06 PM
    You stated the antenna was the reason they where pushing the 'Bumpers' which is why I said they should give you a bumper with the phone. They had to know about this issue but as someone who just got one said 'You need to learn how to hold it.' WOW.....
    06-24-10 07:25 PM
    SO I guess you're saying Apple really doesn't care about it's customers.
    No they do not. Steve Jobs cares about long lines and how many units he can sell in one day......
    06-24-10 07:27 PM
    It wouldnt surprise me if they did give free bumpers away, its the ONLY FIX for it atm, since this is a hardware flaw and not a software one (there is a software flaw though with how its registering bars apparently.

The joys of being an early adopter
    06-24-10 07:35 PM
    Your holding it the wrong way

That link from engadget. Just proves that Apple knew about this flaw in the design. I wont get into to the whole do they care or not. But like Devil said the joys of being an early adopter. I was one for the storm worst mistake of my life cell phone wise. We can all whine and complain but the fact of the matter is apple is a corporation, their goal is to make money. so making it like this and pushing bumpers is marketing. I wouldnt be suprised if they did offer free bumpers later on just dont expect it anytime soon.
    06-24-10 08:32 PM
    06-24-10 09:05 PM
    Glad this isn't happening to my 3GS running iOS4
    06-24-10 11:28 PM
    Apple's response: you're holding it wrong

Hmmm. I, on the other hand, can touch the far corner of the screen and yet still have reception.

And please ignore this. I'm stuffed.
    06-25-10 12:08 AM
    the bad news is steve jobs says he isn't gonna fix the issue...

06-25-10 12:55 AM
    06-25-10 01:15 AM
    It's like a huge prank. Poor Apple users, but it wouldn't be an Apple product without something incredibly annoying found on launch day.
    06-25-10 01:26 AM
    For iP4 users,

check out-
    06-25-10 01:45 AM
    Even if you're not left handed, if you're in landscape mode your right hand will touch the corner of death. I'd like some tests in holding it in landscape mode.
    06-25-10 02:55 AM
    For iP4 users,

check out-

I just replicated the same thing on my bb9000. Phone dropped 3 bars instantly. It would probably help if guy would hold the phone normal instead of an ape trying to palm a basketball

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 06:46 AM
121 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD