You might not be alone... this is a serious issue...

...and theres more reporting this as well...

Found: iPhone 4 Reception Issue? [Video] - Mac Forums
    06-23-10 04:43 PM
    Ahhhhh run the world is ending iPhones are losing reception. Calm down it's not like the iPhone hasn't already been doing this for years, hold your phone so that it does work problem solved.
    06-23-10 04:50 PM
    Buy a case. Problem solved.
    06-23-10 05:31 PM
    wow yeah that's not a good thing
    06-23-10 10:06 PM
    I've used mine since it delivered around 1pm and have experienced zero issues or dropped calls.
    06-23-10 10:16 PM
    awww man I'm so mad!!!!!!!!!!! ya'll have yours already im picking mine up in the morning how do you like it @spawn026, and @Mystic
    06-23-10 10:35 PM
    I've had no issues with dropped calls. Sucks for those people.
    06-23-10 11:05 PM
    do you have an iPhone 4 or are you using that sweet high tech Storm 2
    06-23-10 11:24 PM
    The funny thing is that no one is using the
    phone when this is happening. So maybe
    it's just an issue when they're not using
    the phone which would then almost
    make this a software vs hardware issue.
    06-24-10 12:56 AM
    When holding the phone to your right ear with your right hand you are completely covering the antenna and making physical contact with it.

I will ask the engineers at work, maybe if someone has sweaty hands perhaps the saline can alter the effectiveness of the antenna itself due to current generation.

It's a long shot but who knows, I've seen crazier things before.
    06-24-10 01:27 AM
    The funny thing is that no one is using the
    phone when this is happening. So maybe
    it's just an issue when they're not using
    the phone which would then almost
    make this a software vs hardware issue.
    Look on YouTube. There is a guy who calls his wife and his signal fades and the call starts breaking up while he is holding the phone. Then as he puts the phone in its holder and takes his hand off of it the signal slowly comes back. It is very obvious that the problem is related to holding the phone. What isn't obvious is why? And whether this only affects some units? Would suck if it turns out to be a big problem and the one would have to wonder how nobody noticed that in testing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 01:49 AM
    Anyone who has had "rabbit ears" for TV or a portable radio knows that touching the antenna effects reception. This was poor design by Apple. A case of some sort would fix the problem, but covers up a very sexy looking device. Shameful really.

06-24-10 03:58 AM
    Yeah it will have reception Issue after if you accidentally drop your new iPhone 4 to clement..
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 06-24-10 at 04:20 AM.
    06-24-10 04:18 AM
    No issues with my signal. Placed a few calls yesterday and even set it down then held it to see if the signal changed. Nothing. Must just be in a good reception spot.

06-24-10 05:18 AM
    Look on YouTube. There is a guy who calls his wife and his signal fades and the call starts breaking up while he is holding the phone. Then as he puts the phone in its holder and takes his hand off of it the signal slowly comes back. It is very obvious that the problem is related to holding the phone. What isn't obvious is why? And whether this only affects some units? Would suck if it turns out to be a big problem and the one would have to wonder how nobody noticed that in testing?

The phone is not even "truly" out. Plus, there could be sooo many factors playing here. Your sample size of "a guy on youtube" does not sustain enough evidence to claim a whole epidemic. I always stay away from first batch items, it's better to wait for them to knock the kinks out.
    06-24-10 05:40 AM
    The phone is not even "truly" out. Plus, there could be sooo many factors playing here. Your sample size of "a guy on youtube" does not sustain enough evidence to claim a whole epidemic. I always stay away from first batch items, it's better to wait for them to knock the kinks out.
    16 more cases here iPhone 4 Loses Reception When You Hold It By The Antenna Band?

Sounds like there may be a problem.
    06-24-10 07:00 AM
    With all the Apple vs Gizmodo crap going on over the prototype iPhone 4 issue... I believe it when it happens to me... I've grabbed it... walked around... nothing.. Seems fine to me so far...
    06-24-10 07:23 AM
    This made me giggle. lol
    06-24-10 10:45 AM
    FACT. There is an issue here. There are thousands of people reporting the problem on all kinds of different tech sites and its also happening worldwide. The problem is replicated by bridging the lower left gap (when facing the phone). Hold your hand or finger there bridging the gap for atlest 15 seconds and you'll see the signal start to drop. Keep holding and it will eventually go to no bars. I can do this. My buddy who just picked his up at the same time I did can do this, so can many other people Ive asked.

Theres lots of speculation of whats going on but nothing concrete yet.
    06-24-10 11:35 AM
    FACT. There is an issue here. There are thousands of people reporting the problem on all kinds of different tech sites and its also happening worldwide. The problem is replicated by bridging the lower left gap (when facing the phone). Hold your hand or finger there bridging the gap for atlest 15 seconds and you'll see the signal start to drop. Keep holding and it will eventually go to no bars. I can do this. My buddy who just picked his up at the same time I did can do this, so can many other people Ive asked.

Theres lots of speculation of whats going on but nothing concrete yet.
    There are claims it is only a software issue that does not affect signal lose. Can you confirm if you are losing signal by dropped calls?
    06-24-10 11:39 AM
    There are claims it is only a software issue that does not affect signal lose. Can you confirm if you are losing signal by dropped calls?
    Thats what Im hearing and really hoping is that its software related because I da*n sure dont want to give this phone up. I have not tested it yet by calling then doing the antenna bridge to drop signal. I wont be able to test that until I get home later but I will and report back.
    06-24-10 11:44 AM
    I just talked to our wireless engineer at work. He drew diagrams and said a lot of technical things that went way over my head, but he says he expects a few people will have problems if they touch the antenna.

He also says getting a case for the phone should solve most problems. I guess when a person touches an antenna they ground it which has positive and negative effects. He was surprised anyone would expose an unshielded antenna and allow people to touch it.

So bottom line, get a silicone case for it and see if that improves things.
    06-24-10 11:58 AM
    I just talked to our wireless engineer at work. He drew diagrams and said a lot of technical things that went way over my head, but he says he expects a few people will have problems if they touch the antenna.

He also says getting a case for the phone should solve most problems. I guess when a person touches an antenna they ground it which has positive and negative effects. He was surprised anyone would expose an unshielded antenna and allow people to touch it.

So bottom line, get a silicone case for it and see if that improves things.
    Yea Apple is pushing the "Bumper" really hard but why should I have to pay $30 for a piece of plastic that costs .10 to make and why should I have to put a plastic cover on my phone to get signal.
    06-24-10 12:04 PM
    Why do you guys think that Apple is releasing those bumpers? Hello! maybe apple knew about this problem hence they finally dipped into the cover market. Well either way i will be getting this phone. Im currently on a tilt 2. Either way i usually get a case for it anyways. So now it does fall into place as to why the bumper by apple only covers the sides. Great scheme by apple.
    06-24-10 12:07 PM
    JoJo you beat me to it lol.
    06-24-10 12:08 PM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD