02-10-10 06:55 PM
32 12
tools
    Now, i think Apple missed a trick here, i wont be buying the iPad. I was sooo excited about it coming out and was planning on replacing my laptop with it. BUT.

You cannot use it as a base for your iTunes and sync your iPhone/iPod too it. (64gb being enough for me)

HUGE mistake in my opinion, would have created the need for both.

Opinions...
    Last edited by JohnboyMinster; 02-06-10 at 03:32 AM.
    02-06-10 03:27 AM
    It needs to have flash. HP Slate here I come.
    02-07-10 05:16 PM
    Have to buy a dongle from Apple to attach anything, no flash, no multitasking, no front-facing camera, no buy.
    02-07-10 05:29 PM
    I'll be grabbing one on release day, and here is a quote from a recent article I read on some reasons why apple has opted not to use flash as well.

But Adobe's technology has been abused to create such aesthetic offenses as pointless site-intro videos, gaudy interactive interfaces and pushy animated ads. Relying on one company's product seems odd when such Web ingredients as HTML coding and JPEG images are open, free standards. And the Flash Player itself can be a memory and processor hog and requires frequent security fixes to boot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-10 08:05 PM
    Then why not include an alternative? Sounds like a huge rationalization for defending an glaring omission. Something like - there something better in the future so we won't add what is available now and leave our customers without either option for the present.
    It's an omission that is a dealbreaker for some people. Maybe not significant numbers for Apple to care.
    02-08-10 05:30 AM
    Then why not include an alternative? Sounds like a huge rationalization for defending an glaring omission. Something like - there something better in the future so we won't add what is available now and leave our customers without either option for the present.
    It's an omission that is a dealbreaker for some people. Maybe not significant numbers for Apple to care.
    A lot of people have always been critical of apples decision to leave out certain things in ther devices and not framing them with all the latest features, but it's funny how you all don't critisize your own blackberry device for doing the samething and defend it to nail and tooth. It is strategy and apple is the king of it hence their profits and success under the Steve jobs rule.

02-08-10 05:50 AM
    I fully understand what the iPad is, and what Apple's intent is with doing it - it's a great product.

I just cannot beleive you can't sync your iphone too it, that would have been a deal breaker for me, i am so gutted! Glaring omission for me.
    02-08-10 06:07 AM
    There is nothing my iPhone can't do or my laptop than the iPad can so it's money well wasted.

iPad is essentially another netbook.. just prettier.

HUGE mistake without iTunes iPhone sync. The iPad will be gone in two years.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 02-08-10 at 01:40 PM.
    02-08-10 07:33 AM
    A lot of people have always been critical of apples decision to leave out certain things in ther devices and not framing them with all the latest features, but it's funny how you all don't critisize your own blackberry device for doing the samething and defend it to nail and tooth. It is strategy and apple is the king of it hence their profits and success under the Steve jobs rule.

Actually, I always state that in my opinion, Blackberry has two major flaws, the browser and the unavailability of Flash. That browser problem - the Blackberry browser - led me to try out the iPhone.

So no, I don't find the need to defend RIM tooth and nail. I don't own RIM nor do I own stock.

I would have been more than willing to try out the iPad had it had both. I don't find a need to defend neither RIM nor Steve Jobs. I state what I need and want in a device, I don't speak for everyone else.
    02-08-10 08:11 AM
    I just cant believe what this device is already doing to the ebook space without even being out. Publishers are asking amazon for same pricing as they will get with ipad and it (ipad) forced Amazon into buying a screen tech company.

There's now speculation about how internet tv will finally take off with the ipad and whatnot. I think most people will end up buying one eventually because of all the things that are being deleloped for it.

I think i am getting one, i can't wait to see how apple will make the iphone and the ipad work together yet not steal each other's niche and markets.
    02-08-10 11:57 AM
    The iPad won't even work with Apple's 2 biggest devices because of no flash? That will probably be a dealbreaker to many potential customers IMO. It would be for me, and most people will not understand why. The thing is pimped as being a cool alternative to a laptop computer and laptops synch iPods and iPhones, don't they? They may be treading on thin ice if people buy these, then find out the truth and return them. Not good for business. If they can fix that they should get on it.
    02-08-10 12:50 PM
    The iPad won't even work with Apple's 2 biggest devices because of no flash? That will probably be a dealbreaker to many potential customers IMO. It would be for me, and most people will not understand why. The thing is pimped as being a cool alternative to a laptop computer and laptops synch iPods and iPhones, don't they? They may be treading on thin ice if people buy these, then find out the truth and return them. Not good for business. If they can fix that they should get on it.
    your wring the iPad was not built to replace the laptop at all. Steve Jobs expressed this fact in his Keynote speech very clearly it was made to be a median between the laptop and Smartphone base your argument off that fact.

02-08-10 12:55 PM
    The iPad was build for one purpose and one purpose only. That purpose was to bring in money from eBook sales into Apple's pockets. There is no additional functionality the iPad can do that an iTouch cannot (if the same OS is loaded on it). The only benefit of the iPad is a larger screen and that's about it. The iPad would have been a much better median of use if it ran OSX instead. That way you could use it for more then just an eBook reader with a few extras. Right now, the device seems a bit redundant if you already have an iPhone or iTouch.
    02-08-10 01:40 PM
    The iPad was build for one purpose and one purpose only. That purpose was to bring in money from eBook sales into Apple's pockets. There is no additional functionality the iPad can do that an iTouch cannot (if the same OS is loaded on it). The only benefit of the iPad is a larger screen and that's about it. The iPad would have been a much better median of use if it ran OSX instead. That way you could use it for more then just an eBook reader with a few extras. Right now, the device seems a bit redundant if you already have an iPhone or iTouch.
    This device although some of you say feels redundant will appeal to a large crowd no one has really mentioned and that to the college crowd. Does anyone remember in 2008 when the iPhone became a suggested tool on many college/university things to have when enrolling. Universities as big as Florida even made the itouch a member on core tools to have along with a laptop. I would not be shocked if this device isn't adopted by our academic crowd as well. Also people keep commenting on how this isn't a good median they could have done this and done that, but the Tablet market has never been a popular one like the laptop or smartphone market has come to be , so a median has never really been there so to say. With apple breaking into this market in such a elaborate fashion, they have the power to say this is the median right now it's up to the tablet market to make it better. Look at the iPhone Apple made the standard of what a consumer touch screen smartphone should be and look like, and people are still having a problem catching that benchmark.

And yes I love Apple and I'm a fanboy, bit everything I'm saying I pretty da** valid

02-08-10 02:33 PM
    This device although some of you say feels redundant will appeal to a large crowd no one has really mentioned and that to the college crowd. Does anyone remember in 2008 when the iPhone became a suggested tool on many college/university things to have when enrolling. Universities as big as Florida even made the itouch a member on core tools to have along with a laptop. I would not be shocked if this device isn't adopted by our academic crowd as well. Also people keep commenting on how this isn't a good median they could have done this and done that, but the Tablet market has never been a popular one like the laptop or smartphone market has come to be , so a median has never really been there so to say. With apple breaking into this market in such a elaborate fashion, they have the power to say this is the median right now it's up to the tablet market to make it better. Look at the iPhone Apple made the standard of what a consumer touch screen smartphone should be and look like, and people are still having a problem catching that benchmark.

And yes I love Apple and I'm a fanboy, bit everything I'm saying I pretty da** valid

I respectfully disagree. I don't think the ipad will be a big player in the college crowd, because they'll all need/have a laptop and a cellphone. Parents pay for these items and will not spring for an $830 iPad no matter how cool the student thinks it is. I could envision use for a Kindle bigscreen IF (and only if) it could replace the very expensive texts with the same utility. I support a couple current college students and the iPad is not something they could talk me into.
    02-08-10 02:39 PM
    I respectfully disagree. I don't think the ipad will be a big player in the college crowd, because they'll all need/have a laptop and a cellphone. Parents pay for these items and will not spring for an $830 iPad no matter how cool the student thinks it is. I could envision use for a Kindle bigscreen IF (and only if) it could replace the very expensive texts with the same utility. I support a couple current college students and the iPad is not something they could talk me into.
    I can't really argue with you here because your a parent as well as I and what you'll give your kids or think is necessary will all ways be a personal issue, I'm talking more from a general standpoint though, and if everyone is doing it or says it's needed for their specific establishment people will deem it necesarry and make that purchase if you can agree with me in that aspect. People said te samething about the itouch mind you but now I is a staple among most universities, granted the price range is different I wouldn't be surprised that's all I'm getting at.

02-08-10 02:52 PM
    There are a lot of parents out there who buy their kids crap. Why do 18-22 year olds need Mercedes, BMWs, etc instead of a Honda as a first car? Why do kids need a $1000+ Macbook instead of a $500 PC laptop (HP/Dell/etc)?

Again, everyone is turning it into their own preferences instead of seeing the overall picture that there ARE people with money to blow out there who will buy it or for their college kids.
    02-08-10 05:18 PM
    There are a lot of parents out there who buy their kids crap. Why do 18-22 year olds need Mercedes, BMWs, etc instead of a Honda as a first car? Why do kids need a $1000+ Macbook instead of a $500 PC laptop (HP/Dell/etc)?

Again, everyone is turning it into their own preferences instead of seeing the overall picture that there ARE people with money to blow out there who will buy it or for their college kids.
    Kind or a more blunt approach of what I was trying to portray but your exactly right. And this thing will sell to a variety of groups all for their own personal reasons I jus think the 18-22 crowd will suck this thing up.

02-08-10 05:23 PM
    Yeh Im just sick of hearing the whining about it. I dont get why people have to post over and over how they dont want one or have no intentions of getting one. Soooo why are they posting here then at all?

It is what it is, Jobs isnt gonna change it before launch the more you whine in a cell forum about it. Either like it or dont, youre free to do either, but continuously posting about it over and over bashing it (or even praising it) gets old. We all get it, they dont like it nor want one- good for them thats their personal choice that we heard the first time.

I dunno if they want a cookie or what continuously posting negative about it....
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-08-10 at 07:53 PM.
    02-08-10 07:51 PM
    Yeh Im just sick of hearing the whining about it. I dont get why people have to post over and over how they dont want one or have no intentions of getting one. Soooo why are they posting here then at all?

It is what it is, Jobs isnt gonna change it before launch the more you whine in a cell forum about it. Either like it or dont, youre free to do either, but continuously posting about it over and over bashing it (or even praising it) gets old. We all get it, they dont like it nor want one- good for them thats their personal choice that we heard the first time.

I dunno if they want a cookie or what continuously posting negative about it....
    well the funny thing is this is a Apple hating hotbed so anything apple mentioned here equals a toy and meaningless most of the time, they love Blackberries and PC's. Funny thing is the people that speak for the Blackberry community other the the makers of the Blackberry itself is Kevin, blaze1, and Craig ibanyan who own macs and iPhones between the 3 of them and I believe Blaze1 uses his often.

02-08-10 08:08 PM
    Dont forget Duvi too

I guess my point is I dont see how whining on an internet forum solves anything. The iPad is what it is. It doesnt do everything in the world or replace a PC, time to get over it. If you dont like it dont buy it, if you do then buy it.

Apple goons arent going to come to your house and put one in your head if you dont like the device and dont buy one. I just dont get this inherent need for some here to bash it or say over and over how this or that sucks or how they wont be buying one.

I wish my GT500 got 50mpg also, but I dont sit and whine about it. I bought it knowing its limitations getting maybe 15mpg, and if the mpg mattered that much I woudlnt buy it. Period. No whining or moaning how this or that sucks and crying on an internet forum how much it sucks.

Move on with life basically is the moral of the story for some posters and the iPad.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-08-10 at 08:29 PM.
    02-08-10 08:26 PM
    well the funny thing is this is a Apple hating hotbed so anything apple mentioned here equals a toy and meaningless most of the time, they love Blackberries and PC's. Funny thing is the people that speak for the Blackberry community other the the makers of the Blackberry itself is Kevin, blaze1, and Craig ibanyan who own macs and iPhones between the 3 of them and I believe Blaze1 uses his often.

This isn't really an Apple-hating forum. Of course it's a BB centric forum. I have a PC, laptop, BB, Droid, iTouch, iPod, Kindle. Don't plan on a MaxiPad for reasons I've posted. Don't hate it, just don't see myself needing one with what I've already got.
    02-09-10 01:57 PM
    This isn't really an Apple-hating forum. Of course it's a BB centric forum. I have a PC, laptop, BB, Droid, iTouch, iPod, Kindle. Don't plan on a MaxiPad for reasons I've posted. Don't hate it, just don't see myself needing one with what I've already got.
    I couldn't agree more. I got an Iphone, dell mini 9 with snow leopard on it. (a real OS, might i add) but apple should have intregrated something special into it besides making a bigger iphone 3gs. Disappointed Not Hating.
    02-09-10 02:03 PM
    I couldn't agree more. I got an Iphone, dell mini 9 with snow leopard on it. (a real OS, might i add) but apple should have intregrated something special into it besides making a bigger iphone 3gs. Disappointed Not Hating.
    Exactly... I think far too many people misunderstand that this is where most of us are coming from. We're not hating the product, just saying that with something this size, it would have been nice to have some new capabilities along with it. Bottom line, seems like Apple took the easy way out with this one and that's what makes it lame.... and disappointing.
    02-09-10 02:24 PM

Probably a bit off topic but...

That's a good point but if you really watch those round robin videos that
    involve Kevin checking out another device he seems almost clueless. Most
    especially with the iPhone. Almost like he was downplaying the other devices
    on purpose.
    02-09-10 02:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD