Good Lord....

EVERYTHING function on a smartphone is an app. If you want proof, go look at your BB loader files. There are Java programs for every function in there, including the phone. Just because it has hard buttons doesn't mean it's not an app....

Smartphone = small computer. Small computer without apps = paperweight

You know that thing that lets you sync your BB with your computer? You know what it is? I'll tell you. It's an app. There are companies that delete it so a company BB can't be used to sync with anything else except their BES server. It's a security feature.

As for needing an additional app for everything on iPhone... not really, I already I said typically use Safari. I use one of the other ones if I need a specific function. BTW, most the the tab browsers are only limited by memory on the number of tabs they open, so they can open much more than 15 depending on the page. BB browser is slower because it has a slower CPU and it chokes on Javascript.

I do however, have over 200 apps on my phone. I have about 100 games, a couple dozen music apps that do various things, a bunch of foreign language dictionaries and translators, a couple of video players including one that lets me stream movies and music from my computer, a bunch of newspaper apps, and a few internet radio apps including a couple in other languages. That's in addition to the basics which are Facebook, Twitter, Google stuff, IMDb, Wiki, Sports, TV Guide, WiFi file transfer app, and Starbucks.

It looks like you're constantly looking for silly reasons to say a BB is better than an iPhone or RIM is better than Apple. Let it go. I think it's readily apparent to any objective person which is device is better and which company is winning.
    I don't know when you got your first mobile phone but I got mine in late '90s, just like with that alcatel I had back then, the phone function on my blackberry is a core function not an app, it a primary function that precedes any other function.

Sure you need 200 apps, you need about 5 just to make your browser similar to blackberry browser, slower yes, but at least it's all in one place.

Now ask yourself, how many of those 200 apps you really need and how many you're not using at all? And why do you needa TV guide or Wiki app when you're browser is so fast?

By the way, what makes you think blackberry doesn't have apps for the tasks you described?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-15-11 at 04:18 AM.
    06-15-11 04:11 AM
    Do you have to use an app just to download files??
    I still am getting used to the theres an app for that mentality. I opened a PDF in the safari browser and I couldn't figure out how to save the PDF, just another small annoyance.
    06-15-11 05:19 AM
    Good Lord....

EVERYTHING function on a smartphone is an app. If you want proof, go look at your BB loader files. There are Java programs for every function in there, including the phone. Just because it has hard buttons doesn't mean it's not an app....

Smartphone = small computer. Small computer without apps = paperweight

You know that thing that lets you sync your BB with your computer? You know what it is? I'll tell you. It's an app. There are companies that delete it so a company BB can't be used to sync with anything else except their BES server. It's a security feature.

As for needing an additional app for everything on iPhone... not really, I already I said typically use Safari. I use one of the other ones if I need a specific function. BTW, most the the tab browsers are only limited by memory on the number of tabs they open, so they can open much more than 15 depending on the page. BB browser is slower because it has a slower CPU and it chokes on Javascript.

I do however, have over 200 apps on my phone. I have about 100 games, a couple dozen music apps that do various things, a bunch of foreign language dictionaries and translators, a couple of video players including one that lets me stream movies and music from my computer, a bunch of newspaper apps, and a few internet radio apps including a couple in other languages. That's in addition to the basics which are Facebook, Twitter, Google stuff, IMDb, Wiki, Sports, TV Guide, WiFi file transfer app, and Starbucks.

It looks like you're constantly looking for silly reasons to say a BB is better than an iPhone or RIM is better than Apple. Let it go. I think it's readily apparent to any objective person which is device is better and which company is winning.
    Its not readily apparent to me which device is better. I don't buy electronics based on the stock price of the manufacturer.
    06-15-11 05:26 AM
    I still am getting used to the theres an app for that mentality. I opened a PDF in the safari browser and I couldn't figure out how to save the PDF, just another small annoyance.
    Can the iphone browser not download files pdf, music, video etc?

06-15-11 05:38 AM
    Whatever way you want to spin it, app availability is a HUGE plus for any platform. Built-in utilities are great, but if I can expand the functionality of my phone by adding an app, I'd like the ability to do it.
    06-15-11 06:44 AM
    Can the iphone browser not download files pdf, music, video etc?

From what I can gather mobile safari does not support upload or download from the browser.
    06-15-11 06:59 AM
    Sounds like a lot of trouble to get your browser to do what BB browser can do already, sounds like you need an "additional" app for everything. Maybe that's why the BB browser is slower
    And by the way, phone is not an app, not when you have a green and a red button to make and end calls, and a press of the green button let's you make a call no matter what else you were doing with your phone or what app you were in.
    Same is the emails, it's not exactly an app when I can log in the PC and select what emails I want my BB to receive or what filters, signatures, what info to sync etc etc

Dude, they are apps and you are absolutely wrong. What about all the Android devices that have dedicated call/hangup buttons? They have phone apps. BB uses a phone app. Your email is a native app.

These things don't just magically appear on the device. They are application that run on BB OS. Native apps that cannot be deleted AFAIK without a little fooling around in the core files.
    06-15-11 07:36 AM
    Dude, they are apps and you are absolutely wrong. What about all the Android devices that have dedicated call/hangup buttons? They have phone apps. BB uses a phone app. Your email is a native app.

These things don't just magically appear on the device. They are application that run on BB OS. Native apps that cannot be deleted AFAIK without a little fooling around in the core files.
    I think people have gone appcrazy, this is a core function that existed on the first ever mobile phone and you call it an app now? The whole phone(maybe not the iphone) is built around this function.

The email is a sort of native app but it's also more as you can access all the settings online and remove the service books or push them to a new phone, so it's not tied to one device.
    I have no email app on my device, I have a messages app and I have email service books.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-15-11 at 08:01 AM.
    06-15-11 07:44 AM
    From what I can gather mobile safari does not support upload or download from the browser.
    From where I'm standing the iphone is starting to look like the "work around" platform, not the "there's an app for that" platform.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-15-11 at 07:52 AM.
    06-15-11 07:47 AM
    Belfast clearly prefers BBOS, we get it. People on this specific forum, the iPhone forum on crackberry.com, prefer iOS, including myself at this time. Each believes their platform is better for their use than the other, and in the end it doesn't really matter because neither uses the other's phone currently, and neither of them at this time appears to be open to changing sides, or even inquisitive as to changing.

Geez, give it a rest.
    06-15-11 08:19 AM
    Belfast clearly prefers BBOS, we get it. People on this specific forum, the iPhone forum on crackberry.com, prefer iOS, including myself at this time. Each believes their platform is better for their use than the other, and in the end it doesn't really matter because neither uses the other's phone currently, and neither of them at this time appears to be open to changing sides, or even inquisitive as to changing.

Geez, give it a rest.
    Sure, it's easy to say mine it's better, or I prefer mine, but we're discussing actual features of a browser that somebody here called it vastly superior. When you do break it down, it turns out to be just faster, but with a lot of normal browser features missing. The discussion is not about preferences, it's about what one can do and the other can't so maybe others think twice before they come back and call it "superior"

06-15-11 08:36 AM

Geez, give it a rest.
    I also prefer bbos. It's not that bbos is better than ios in the absolute sense, while it may be I'm not on that discussion, it's better for me. The iPad 2 is really nice and I don't regret getting it, but my trusty phone will remain my blackberry for the foreseeable future.
    06-15-11 09:22 AM
    I also prefer bbos. It's not that bbos is better than ios in the absolute sense, while it may be I'm not on that discussion, it's better for me. The iPad 2 is really nice and I don't regret getting it, but my trusty phone will remain my blackberry for the foreseeable future.
    Ipad's a different story, I would consider getting one, especially as an educational tool for the kids. Does it have the same browser limitations though?

06-15-11 09:45 AM
    Ipad's a different story, I would consider getting one, especially as an educational tool for the kids. Does it have the same browser limitations though?

Same as iPhone except for the screen size and the fact it cant make or receive phone calls.
    06-15-11 10:57 AM
    So if you surf the net and you find a podcast that you think might be interesting, what do you do on an iphone or ipad?

06-15-11 11:38 AM
    There'd have to be a compelling reason to come back...but with the devices being so out of date, the monitors being so small, there's not much hope.

RIM would have to invent something so revolutionary that it makes Android appear dated. RIM is still reinventing wheels.

It was a great ride, but 2006 was the beginning of the end of this technology and operating system. Like typewriters, sure you can make a better one, but who are you going to sell it to?
    06-15-11 12:06 PM
    I think people have gone appcrazy, this is a core function that existed on the first ever mobile phone and you call it an app now? The whole phone(maybe not the iphone) is built around this function.
    So what? That doesn't mean it isn't an app. Applications are part of the core OS. It is a native application.

Why do I have this feeling that you think apps are just developed by third parties, or just addons to what does not come stock to the OS? Mail and Phone are core apps. Native core apps.

The email is a sort of native app but it's also more as you can access all the settings online and remove the service books or push them to a new phone, so it's not tied to one device.
    I have no email app on my device, I have a messages app and I have email service books.

There is not such thing as a "sort of native app". The messaging app is native. It is a core app that is native just like phone. The service books push your EMAIL to the messages app.

You are now talking about BIS/BES features that are pushed to the Messaging app. It is native PIM app. Same as the native Email will be on the Playbook. It is an app.

Service books are part of BIS/BES/carrier crap. They work with the apps that are already on the BB, unless the service book is just a placeholder which installs an app.
    06-15-11 12:10 PM
    So what? That doesn't mean it isn't an app. Applications are part of the core OS. It is a native application.

Why do I have this feeling that you think apps are just developed by third parties, or just addons to what does not come stock to the OS? Mail and Phone are core apps. Native core apps.

There is not such thing as a "sort of native app". The messaging app is native. It is a core app that is native just like phone. The service books push your EMAIL to the messages app.

You are now talking about BIS/BES features that are pushed to the Messaging app. It is native PIM app. Same as the native Email will be on the Playbook. It is an app.

Service books are part of BIS/BES/carrier crap. They work with the apps that are already on the BB, unless the service book is just a placeholder which installs an app.
    Explain this then, I go to BIS site and set up an email account, the service book gets sent to my blackberry and a mail icon appears for that email account. I can then co to service books in options and delete both service books for it(calendar and mail) and the mail icon disappears from my phone. Doesn't sound like an app to me.

Anyway, to me there's a big difference between apps that you download from an appstore and software that comes built into the OS.

06-15-11 12:18 PM
    Sure, it's easy to say mine it's better, or I prefer mine, but we're discussing actual features of a browser that somebody here called it vastly superior. When you do break it down, it turns out to be just faster, but with a lot of normal browser features missing. The discussion is not about preferences, it's about what one can do and the other can't so maybe others think twice before they come back and call it "superior"

It's only a discussion when both parties listen.

You don't - you ignore and double talk to make your point right.

Stop quoting him lol - I don't want to read his drivel! It's like talking to a brick wall.
    06-15-11 01:04 PM
    It's only a discussion when both parties listen.

You don't - you ignore and double talk to make your point right.

Stop quoting him lol - I don't want to read his drivel! It's like talking to a brick wall.
    Reeneebob, what's with the personal attacks, does it make you feel better or something?

Are you asking me to just accept the official version that the iphone browser is "vastly superior", seriously?

06-15-11 01:28 PM
    Explain this then, I go to BIS site and set up an email account, the service book gets sent to my blackberry and a mail icon appears for that email account. I can then co to service books in options and delete both service books for it(calendar and mail) and the mail icon disappears from my phone. Doesn't sound like an app to me.
    Are you purposely not understanding what I am saying?

The messaging app is a core function. By pushing your email from BIS, it creates a separate dedicated icon for the email. Messaging and the email icon are basically the same. Messaging is just all in one and email is specific to the email.

Anyway, to me there's a big difference between apps that you download from an appstore and software that comes built into the OS.

So you are now recognizing that it is an app. You are right, native apps are different than an app that comes from the app store. The difference is it is not native, and native apps usually have access to more apis because they are at a core level.

App does not automatically mean it came from the app store.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-15-11 at 03:27 PM.
    06-15-11 03:21 PM
    Reeneebob, what's with the personal attacks, does it make you feel better or something?

Are you asking me to just accept the official version that the iphone browser is "vastly superior", seriously?

Meh, she has a point. You do this in almost any discussion relating to iOS or Android. It is like you just disregard everything people say, play ignorant, or purposely just do not understand the littlest of things.

We have been round and round in circles many times before and this has been said to you specifically many times. It is not coincidence, it is you.

Just like when you completely disregard things because it's "too much" or "you don't need it". You cannot ignore facts or else you are living in a dreamworld where only you fit in.

In no way am I trying to disrespect you here, but I am just going by my experience with you on this forum. If this is disrespectful, I'm sorry. But is just gets old after a while.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-15-11 03:25 PM
    Are you purposely not understanding what I am saying?

The messaging app is a core function. By pushing your email from BIS, it creates a separate dedicated icon for the email. Messaging and the email icon are basically the same. Messaging is just all in one and email is specific to the email.

So you are now recognizing that it is an app. You are right, native apps are different than an app that comes from the app store. The difference is it is not native, and native apps usually have access to more apis because they are at a core level.

App does not automatically mean it came from the app store.
    Oh lord. Everything on a CPU runs as a program under some process under some thread. On bb core services are not called apps, although one can call anything anything.
    06-15-11 03:44 PM
    Meh, she has a point. You do this in almost any discussion relating to iOS or Android. It is like you just disregard everything people say, play ignorant, or purposely just do not understand the littlest of things.

We have been round and round in circles many times before and this has been said to you specifically many times. It is not coincidence, it is you.

Just like when you completely disregard things because it's "too much" or "you don't need it". You cannot ignore facts or else you are living in a dreamworld where only you fit in.

In no way am I trying to disrespect you here, but I am just going by my experience with you on this forum. If this is disrespectful, I'm sorry. But is just gets old after a while.
    I agree with him and I don't think he has been taciturn at all. Having had iPad 2 for a while mobile safari has its own sets of issues. It certainly beats my os5 browser, but I'm not sure it beats android or os6.
    06-15-11 03:48 PM
    I suggest you make a list of what iphone browser can do and what the OS6 browser can do, I have a feeling the iphone list is gonna be a short one.
    Besides flash, OS6 has a complete browsing experience a similar to a desktop experience weather you like to admit it or not.
    Having to install 5 apps to get your browser to do something that it should do as standard is not acceptable in my eyes.
    Some people see everything as an app it appears, I wonder what happened to "software" "program" even "freeware", been wiped out of the vocabulary apparently.

Apple really does have a way of brainwashing people.

06-15-11 04:02 PM
531 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD