I wouldn't except for the physical keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-11 07:10 PM
    I cant wait to go back to BB!!! I got the Iphone 4 when it hit Verizon!!! Found out it was all hype!!! No, L.E.D. notification so if my ringer is off i cant just look over and see i got a msg!!!

Text msg tones are too limited and i cant assign any to contacts or add any without having to jail break the phone!!! Email on the Iphone sucks, i dont want to keep opening my email app just to find out if i have new email, i need to know that my email is there when it gets there!!! Adding pics to the Email sucks too, SMH!!!

I will never buy another Apple product for myself!!! This thing is for kids, its a toy!!!

Oh, and whats up with the tracking crap? I was in ATL a few months ago, went to a friends house where i could get no data service or phone service!!! Yet, all the pics i took at their house got GPS tagged? You mean Apple made sure that would work and not my phone?
    You can thank VERIZON for this not the phone!
    06-12-11 07:23 PM
    didn't you know? using more than one exclamation point makes it more of a point. it's science.

and as for fb geo-tagging...guess what? if you'd actually explored the phone and not given up at the first sign of it not reading your mind, you can turn fb location data off.

you CAN assign special SMS tones to contacts. without jailbreaking. my iphone sitting next to me right now does it.

if your email app wasn't pushing, you prolly have to set it to push. i know my phone came from the box with manual fetch. again, you should have checked the settings.

and sometimes the push error is due to the email provider itself, not the network or phone.

so your "facts" are actually not so much.
    Ok, so just how do you assign a text tone to a conact?

The push works, but the way the IPhone works it will either update every 15min 30min or manually! So you do not get email when it comes!
    06-12-11 08:23 PM
    you click on the contact out of your contacts book, then click edit, under the custom ringtone option there is a "default text tone" option. you're limited to the options at hand, but you can customize. maybe the new iOS will have an option for true customization, but honestly my last android phone didn't have the option either, so this isn't just an iphone thing.

idk what the issue is with your push. when i send an email to my phone as a reminder or whatever, i get it right away.
    Rhortond likes this.
    06-12-11 08:44 PM
    you click on the contact out of your contacts book, then click edit, under the custom ringtone option there is a "default text tone" option. you're limited to the options at hand, but you can customize. maybe the new iOS will have an option for true customization, but honestly my last android phone didn't have the option either, so this isn't just an iphone thing.

idk what the issue is with your push. when i send an email to my phone as a reminder or whatever, i get it right away.
    Now, is there a way to add new tones for your text without jailbreaking, or is there a way to change the volume of the text tone without changing the volume of the ringtone?

I have no idea why you get your email when it's sent, and mine won't?
    06-12-11 08:51 PM
    I get my emails instantly as well.
    06-12-11 08:54 PM
    Now, is there a way to add new tones for your text without jailbreaking, or is there a way to change the volume of the text tone without changing the volume of the ringtone?

I have no idea why you get your email when it's sent, and mine won't?
    as far as jailbreaking, i have NO idea. i've never jailbroken an iphone. if you call a local cell repair shop, they should be able to tell you and maybe help you jailbreak it too.

volume: no you can't. i had BBs too and i understand going from such a high level of customization to an iphone is a little disappointing, but personally, i like it. very to the point. no frills.

email: try deleting the account and reloading it. i had to do that a few times on my old iphone. also, do you turn it off every night? BBs are much more tolerant of being on for days at a time. i find iphone and android need to be powered down every night to keep the systems running correctly. so try that if you're not doing it already. it'll keep the push fresh in the phone.
    06-12-11 09:15 PM
    BBs are much more tolerant of being on for days at a time. i find iphone and android need to be powered down every night to keep the systems running correctly. so try that if you're not doing it already. it'll keep the push fresh in the phone.
    This is the first time I've heard of this. BBs usually require multiple battery pulls every week. I never power off my iPhone. I think the last time it was shut off was the last time there was an update to LockInfo, which requires a respring. Other than events like that, my iPhone is never shut down.
    06-12-11 10:11 PM
    The push works, but the way the IPhone works it will either update every 15min 30min or manually! So you do not get email when it comes!
    For push email, iPhone works with MobileMe, Yahoo, and MS Activesync, and maybe AOL. If you have regular POP3 email, it won't do push. Gmail uses Activesync, but you have to activate it in options by turning on mobile sync. Any server that uses Activesync should be able to push email to the iPhone.
    06-12-11 10:14 PM
    This is the first time I've heard of this. BBs usually require multiple battery pulls every week. I never power off my iPhone. I think the last time it was shut off was the last time there was an update to LockInfo, which requires a respring. Other than events like that, my iPhone is never shut down.
    Multiple pulls a week? Seriously? You were that fortunate?

I was running several a day. No joke. It rendered my otherwise awesome device unusable.
    06-12-11 10:54 PM
    /shrug I had 4 BBs and almost never turned them off unless i had to for some strange reason. battery pulls weren't much of my BB life.

also i think this thread has cursed me cause now my yahoo stopped pushing. eck. i'll redo the account...
    Last edited by olliegrl; 06-13-11 at 12:00 AM.
    06-12-11 11:58 PM
    Someone will probably pop in and say "but Blackberry does everything I need it to." Which everybody knows, is a copout. A Toyota Corolla does everything a car needs to do, but people still rather have a Benz.
    Not quite. A BB does everything I need it to, at least as good and usually better than an iPhone. Better data security, better device security, better email management, better calendar, better battery life, better keyboard, better call quality, better signal strength, better voice dialling, better Bluetooth connectivity.

People like yourself can wank on about the extra features on an iPhone, and technoweenies like Accidental Post can blow their loads over the iPhone's specs, but the reality is people who use BBs don't give a **** about any of that stuff.

As a business user I have a very limited set of requirements for a smartphone, and as long as the BB keeps overall exceeding the performance of the iPhone in those areas then that's all that matters to me.

I will continue to trial iPhones as each generation comes out, and I'll be the first to switch when they start to deliver better than BBs, but that just hasn't happened yet.
    06-13-11 11:37 PM
    better data? really? last time i check the BB browser was far inferior to iphone's...
    06-14-11 12:21 AM
    I said better data security.

Browser speed/quality is pretty immaterial to me.
    Last edited by Caesar1844; 06-14-11 at 12:36 AM.
    06-14-11 12:32 AM
    better data? really? last time i check the BB browser was far inferior to iphone's...
    There's no doubt iphone browser is faster but better? OS6 browser can open 15 tabs for example, not 8. OS5 browser could set bookmarks that could be refreshed automatically at the interval of your choice and have them available offline. Both BB browsers make all your history available offline.

It's little things I know but you do appreciate them.

06-14-11 02:20 AM
    There's no doubt iphone browser is faster but better? OS6 browser can open 15 tabs (SIX HOURS LATER) for example, not 8. OS5 browser could set bookmarks that could be refreshed automatically at the interval of your choice and have them available offline (FOR LOOKING AT WEEK OLD NEWS). Both BB browsers make all your history available offline.

Really dude, c'mon I went ahead and edited for truth on BOLD
    06-14-11 10:42 AM
    Really dude, c'mon I went ahead and edited for truth on BOLD
    1. With javascript enabled yes, you'd be right, without javascript you can open away
    2. How about in airplane mode, I could read my favorite blogs or whatever knowing they were updated every 15 minutes.

I did say they're small things but I appreciate them.

06-14-11 10:46 AM
    There's no doubt iphone browser is faster but better? OS6 browser can open 15 tabs for example, not 8. OS5 browser could set bookmarks that could be refreshed automatically at the interval of your choice and have them available offline. Both BB browsers make all your history available offline.

As they say.... "There's an app for that." There are at least a half dozen alternative browsers that skin Safari to provide everything from tabbed browsing, bookmark sync, offline reading, private browsing, file downloading, full screen, additional gestures, etc., etc., etc. Most of them are either free or $0.99. I have a few browsers on my iPhone, but honestly, I mostly use the stock Safari. The main reason is because it's just easier.
    06-14-11 04:29 PM
    As they say.... "There's an app for that." There are at least a half dozen alternative browsers that skin Safari to provide everything from tabbed browsing, bookmark sync, offline reading, private browsing, file downloading, full screen, additional gestures, etc., etc., etc. Most of them are either free or $0.99. I have a few browsers on my iPhone, but honestly, I mostly use the stock Safari. The main reason is because it's just easier.
    Do you have to use an app just to download files??
    06-14-11 04:51 PM
    Do you have to use an app just to download files??
    You probably mean "do you need an additional app?" The answer is, no you don't. Usually though, you want to read or save the file you download, and Safari doesn't read everything. For example, PDF files are read in iBooks, and automatically saved to it. Same with .xls files. If you download a .exe file though, it won't automatically save. If you want to save it, you need a 3rd party app. Dropbox works fine and saves anything you want.

Regardless, who cares if you need an app to do anything? When it all comes down to it, everything is an app. The phone feature is an app. The mail reader is an app. The calendar is an app,. etc., etc., etc. I hate to break it to you, but BB works the same way.
    06-14-11 07:00 PM
    dude...why do you need 15 tabs open at once on your BB?

No really, i'm genuinely curious lol.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-14-11 10:12 PM
    The corporation I work for mandates iPhone's because of a required app for my job position that was developed for the company (that apparently wasn't able to be made for BBs?).

So, no, it's not possible for me to consider going back to a BB right now (not that I really want to, either).
    06-14-11 11:06 PM
    dude...why do you need 15 tabs open at once on your BB?

No really, i'm genuinely curious lol.
    Have you never watched multiple items for sale on ebay?

06-15-11 01:22 AM
    You probably mean "do you need an additional app?" The answer is, no you don't. Usually though, you want to read or save the file you download, and Safari doesn't read everything. For example, PDF files are read in iBooks, and automatically saved to it. Same with .xls files. If you download a .exe file though, it won't automatically save. If you want to save it, you need a 3rd party app. Dropbox works fine and saves anything you want.

Regardless, who cares if you need an app to do anything? When it all comes down to it, everything is an app. The phone feature is an app. The mail reader is an app. The calendar is an app,. etc., etc., etc. I hate to break it to you, but BB works the same way.
    Sounds like a lot of trouble to get your browser to do what BB browser can do already, sounds like you need an "additional" app for everything. Maybe that's why the BB browser is slower
    And by the way, phone is not an app, not when you have a green and a red button to make and end calls, and a press of the green button let's you make a call no matter what else you were doing with your phone or what app you were in.
    Same is the emails, it's not exactly an app when I can log in the PC and select what emails I want my BB to receive or what filters, signatures, what info to sync etc etc

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 06-15-11 at 01:57 AM.
    06-15-11 01:53 AM
    Sounds like a lot of trouble to get your browser to do what BB browser can do already, sounds like you need an "additional" app for everything. Maybe that's why the BB browser is slower
    And by the way, phone is not an app, not when you have a green and a red button to make and end calls, and a press of the green button let's you make a call no matter what else you were doing with your phone or what app you were in.
    Same is the emails, it's not exactly an app when I can log in the PC and select what emails I want my BB to receive or what filters, signatures, what info to sync etc etc

Good Lord....

EVERYTHING function on a smartphone is an app. If you want proof, go look at your BB loader files. There are Java programs for every function in there, including the phone. Just because it has hard buttons doesn't mean it's not an app....

Smartphone = small computer. Small computer without apps = paperweight

You know that thing that lets you sync your BB with your computer? You know what it is? I'll tell you. It's an app. There are companies that delete it so a company BB can't be used to sync with anything else except their BES server. It's a security feature.

As for needing an additional app for everything on iPhone... not really, I already I said typically use Safari. I use one of the other ones if I need a specific function. BTW, most the the tab browsers are only limited by memory on the number of tabs they open, so they can open much more than 15 depending on the page. BB browser is slower because it has a slower CPU and it chokes on Javascript.

I do however, have over 200 apps on my phone. I have about 100 games, a couple dozen music apps that do various things, a bunch of foreign language dictionaries and translators, a couple of video players including one that lets me stream movies and music from my computer, a bunch of newspaper apps, and a few internet radio apps including a couple in other languages. That's in addition to the basics which are Facebook, Twitter, Google stuff, IMDb, Wiki, Sports, TV Guide, WiFi file transfer app, and Starbucks.

It looks like you're constantly looking for silly reasons to say a BB is better than an iPhone or RIM is better than Apple. Let it go. I think it's readily apparent to any objective person which is device is better and which company is winning.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 06-15-11 at 03:37 AM.
    06-15-11 03:31 AM
531 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD