I like both, but currently am in love with my BB. I wish they would come out with a new form factor. Maybe... a candy bar style iphone with a qwerty keyboard and a touchscreen as well

I seriously would drop BB for that iphone.
    05-06-11 02:05 PM
    170KBps is garbage for GSM 3G (which can be blamed on the NOC). If I was getting around 3mbps+ with my iPhones on AT&T that equals 375KBps+.

Streaming media does not go through the NOC if I remember correctly. Streaming youtube videos and Pandora (other internet radio) use to ring up my data usage and killed my BBs battery life very quickly.
    It's the network not the phone, on my home wifi I get 200kb/s doing the same thing, we're a bit behind here lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 02:20 PM
    It's the network not the phone, on my home wifi I get 200kb/s doing the same thing, we're a bit behind here lol

200 KBps on wifi? That is god awful. You are behind. I'm hitting 900-960+ KBps down and 550-650 up. That's on the device though. On my computer it is much faster.
    05-06-11 03:04 PM
    People use the iPhone perfectly fine as a business machine, just like people use BBs as toys.
    I am not saying that the iPhone is a particularly bad business machine, just that it's outperformed or equalled by the BB in virtually every relevant facet for that purpose. The only reason you'd pick the iPhone over it is for non-business related factors.

Also, your data speed argument is total BS. RIMs NOC slows down your data speed. The only way you will see similar data speeds to other devices is by tethering. The device itself does not get data speeds equivalent to those not running on RIMs NOC. I tested this will my Bold 9000, 9700, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs when I was on AT&T. The iPhone consistently scored MUCH higher than the BBs. When tethered, they were much closer.
    Well, sorry, I have not had that experience. When testing the two I've had extremely comparable speeds if not better from the BB without tethering. I have also seen matchup reviews with the iPhone 4 that have given similar results, so it's clearly not just me.

Even if we grant that what you're saying is correct, the advantage from the iPhone is unnoticable enough to be negligible. When weighed against the other factors I've mentioned, it's really a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Caesar1844; 05-06-11 at 09:10 PM.
    05-06-11 09:06 PM
    It's too bad you can't use the browser without the NOC.
    05-07-11 02:53 AM
    It's too bad you can't use the browser without the NOC.
    Actually you can, you have to navigate to your carrier's website, in my case Vodafone uk, which disables the bis connection. W is a shortcut to launch this on my 9700.
    After I get to the vodafone page all the browsing I do will be done outside the noc. Oh, I'll try downloading something this way to see if the speed is faster.

05-07-11 03:19 AM
    Actually you can, you have to navigate to your carrier's website, in my case Vodafone uk, which disables the bis connection. W is a shortcut to launch this on my 9700.
    After I get to the vodafone page all the browsing I do will be done outside the noc. Oh, I'll try downloading something this way to see if the speed is faster.

Edit- it's no faster, average 130kb/s, same as trough the NOC

05-07-11 03:32 AM
    hmm i've had a bb (2 different ones) for 2 years now and i'm seriously considering getting an iphone... just wondering if its worthit since i'm about to get a touch... Any ideas anyone?
    05-07-11 06:58 AM

I'm not worried about download speeds as much as just browsing from site to site. Does it really work though?
    05-07-11 01:44 PM
    I just switched from the torch to a white iPhone 4 and I never see myself going back. It's a bigger and better experience!!!
    05-07-11 02:06 PM
    I am not saying that the iPhone is a particularly bad business machine, just that it's outperformed or equalled by the BB in virtually every relevant facet for that purpose. The only reason you'd pick the iPhone over it is for non-business related factors.
    Lol what? That's why you see more and more articles about business user wanting to use iPhones and Android devices. You see more and more companies switching to Exchange because Android and iOS supports it perfectly out of the box. Come on man.

That is just your opinion for not choosing the iPhone. There are plenty of people who do choose it for the business functions as it offers more robust and a lot more business apps than a BB.

Just because you are unable to conduct your business matters properly on the device doesn't mean other people can't.

Well, sorry, I have not had that experience. When testing the two I've had extremely comparable speeds if not better from the BB without tethering. I have also seen matchup reviews with the iPhone 4 that have given similar results, so it's clearly not just me.

Even if we grant that what you're saying is correct, the advantage from the iPhone is unnoticable enough to be negligible. When weighed against the other factors I've mentioned, it's really a no-brainer.
    What advantages? Messaging on the iPhone is extremely easy. Call quality/signal strength is great on VZW. My Droid, Droid X and iPhone 4 have better call quality and signal strength than any BB I have ever used. I get better battery life on the iPhone and use it much more than I ever did with my BBs. I have absolutely no problem emailing on the iPhone. I type faster on my iPhones keyboard (the fastest typer in the world on a smartphone uses a touchscreen keyboard) than I did on my 9000s. If you know how to use a touch screen keyboard properly then it is excellent. Voice dialing is perfectly fine. Data speed is faster. Bluetooth connectivity has never dropped for me.

It's a no brainer for you because you obviously like BBs better. You cannot claim it is a no brainer for everyone else because you are simply dismissing their opinions and feelings towards the subject, making your argument completely flawed.
    05-07-11 04:30 PM
    Had the 3GS and have the iP4, I still went back, the torch takes care of all my emails, calander, etc, love iOS too, however I am not into games or cooking apps, so it mainly serves as a calling device and the odd whatsapp msgs. Can't wait for QNX, android compatibillity might tempt some of you back home! If iP improved email client, calander and slapped a keyboard to rival the bb, it would truely be the complete package.

05-07-11 08:14 PM
    Had the 3GS and have the iP4, I still went back, the torch takes care of all my emails, calander, etc, love iOS too, however I am not into games or cooking apps, so it mainly serves as a calling device and the odd whatsapp msgs. Can't wait for QNX, android compatibillity might tempt some of you back home! If iP improved email client, calander and slapped a keyboard to rival the bb, it would truely be the complete package.

I thought I read somewhere that Android apps will NOT be compatible on QNX handheld devices (phones)? Is that correct?
    05-07-11 09:03 PM
    Lol what? That's why you see more and more articles about business user wanting to use iPhones and Android devices. You see more and more companies switching to Exchange because Android and iOS supports it perfectly out of the box. Come on man.

That is just your opinion for not choosing the iPhone. There are plenty of people who do choose it for the business functions as it offers more robust and a lot more business apps than a BB.

Just because you are unable to conduct your business matters properly on the device doesn't mean other people can't.
    I didn't say they can't use iPhone or Android, just that BB is better.

What advantages? Messaging on the iPhone is extremely easy. Call quality/signal strength is great on VZW. My Droid, Droid X and iPhone 4 have better call quality and signal strength than any BB I have ever used. I get better battery life on the iPhone and use it much more than I ever did with my BBs. I have absolutely no problem emailing on the iPhone. I type faster on my iPhones keyboard (the fastest typer in the world on a smartphone uses a touchscreen keyboard) than I did on my 9000s. If you know how to use a touch screen keyboard properly then it is excellent. Voice dialing is perfectly fine. Data speed is faster. Bluetooth connectivity has never dropped for me.
    Tactile keyboard is better for the vast majority of users. Call quality, signal strength, data security, device security, calendar, email management, voice dialling and Bluetooth connectivity repeatedly come out on the side of BB in matchup reviews. Data speed is basically a wash depending on your network, I've seen reviews come down on both sides of the equation. I'll even take your word for it that perhaps iPhone is a fraction quicker - meh.

TBH I think the fact that you think battery life on iPhones is better than BBs says it all about how biased you are.

I'm glad you like your iPhone but it is a second rate business machine. Sorry.
    Last edited by Caesar1844; 05-08-11 at 12:50 AM.
    05-08-11 12:43 AM
    I didn't say they can't use iPhone or Android, just that BB is better.
    Like I said. This is according to you. I know people who conduct their business better on Android and iOS devices and have not looked back once at getting a BB.

The BB is better for you. It is not better in general. That comment is up to each individual when they use the device. Your opinion is not fact.

Tactile keyboard is better for the vast majority of users. Call quality, signal strength, data security, device security, calendar, email management, voice dialling and Bluetooth connectivity repeatedly come out on the side of BB in matchup reviews. Data speed is basically a wash depending on your network, I've seen reviews come down on both sides of the equation. I'll even take your word for it that perhaps iPhone is a fraction quicker - meh.

TBH I think the fact that you think battery life on iPhones is better than BBs says it all about how biased you are.

I'm glad you like your iPhone but it is a second rate business machine. Sorry.
    I'm biased because I get better battery life on my iPhone? What? So I am biased because that has been my experience? Are you for real? I have owned the 9700, 9000 and 8330. My Droid X (when I had it) and iPhone get better battery life the way I use them. My 9700 would die in under 12 hours. My 9000 would die in about 8 ours. My iPhone lasts over 17 hours with heavy use and my Droid X is the same if not a little worse. BBs get great battery life because of the NOC. The fact that I am getting this type of battery life out devices that do all the work themselves is great.

The iPhone is a second rate business machine for YOU. YOU are not the only person in the world.

Also, I have no bias. I enjoy all platforms and have had extensive use with each one.
    05-08-11 11:13 AM
    Like I said. This is according to you. I know people who conduct their business better on Android and iOS devices and have not looked back once at getting a BB.

The BB is better for you. It is not better in general. That comment is up to each individual when they use the device. Your opinion is not fact.

I'm biased because I get better battery life on my iPhone? What? So I am biased because that has been my experience? Are you for real? I have owned the 9700, 9000 and 8330. My Droid X (when I had it) and iPhone get better battery life the way I use them. My 9700 would die in under 12 hours. My 9000 would die in about 8 ours. My iPhone lasts over 17 hours with heavy use and my Droid X is the same if not a little worse. BBs get great battery life because of the NOC. The fact that I am getting this type of battery life out devices that do all the work themselves is great.

The iPhone is a second rate business machine for YOU. YOU are not the only person in the world.

Also, I have no bias. I enjoy all platforms and have had extensive use with each one.

Have you actually used a blackberry for business? Do you have a business? Blackberry is best for business most of the time from the employer's point of view not the employee. And employer doesn't want you to have apps or games to play with during working hours.
    Blackberry has many apps for business that you will not find in Appworld.

05-08-11 11:30 AM
    I tried to go back to a BlackBerry-- twice. I couldn't do it. The last time was with a Torch. Beautiful phone but I was getting a red "x" when I would send text messages (while in a 3G area, no less) and also I couldn't get Pandora to stream consistently between my home (edge) and where I work (3G) which was a disappointment because my iPhone can do it. IMO, if the Torch had a faster processor, a higher resolution screen, and a keyboard more like the Curve, it would be a better phone. It sounds like the Torch 2 will take care of two of those things, but I think I'm done with BlackBerry for now. Oh, and although I loved BBM, I'm down to only having two friends that actually still use a BlackBerry. Everyone else is now using iPhone or Droid. Whats the point in BBM if you only have 2 contacts you can use it for? Hopefully BBM goes cross-platform like the rumors say. The flashing LED is sorely missed on the iPhone, though. I'll probably always have a fondness for BlackBerries, although I may not ever use them again...
    05-08-11 12:33 PM
    Have you actually used a blackberry for business? Do you have a business? Blackberry is best for business most of the time from the employer's point of view not the employee. And employer doesn't want you to have apps or games to play with during working hours.
    Blackberry has many apps for business that you will not find in Appworld.

No I do not have a business and that is completely irrelevant. I'm not saying BBs aren't known to be the best. All I am saying is more and more people want to use other devices now because they can still get business done and be able to use their devices in other ways as well that BBs are not as good. People are switching for this exact reason and it is pretty obvious.

What does games have to do with this? More and more businesses are switching by the day. Sure doesn't look like they're worried.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-08-11 at 01:39 PM.
    05-08-11 01:34 PM
    No I do not have a business and that is completely irrelevant. I'm not saying BBs aren't known to be the best. All I am saying is more and more people want to use other devices now because they can still get business done and be able to use their devices in other ways as well that BBs are not as good. People are switching for this exact reason and it is pretty obvious.

What does games have to do with this? More and more businesses are switching by the day. Sure doesn't look like they're worried.
    If what you say it's true it means Rim should have no bes customers by now, what exactly are you basing that on? On companies testing other solutions? On companies asking the employees to bring their own smartphone to work? And what makes you think Rim is not getting new bes customers all the time? Police here in Northern Ireland have adopted Blackberrys not that long ago. Sure as **** they're not gonna use iphones.

05-08-11 02:45 PM
    I think what AVT is saying is clear: more companies AND employees are using non-BB devices now. That isn't made up; I know of a few, legacy local companies that moved from RIM.

Now, you could argue that some of that migration has to do with cultural influences, but for some serious business professionals (self humbly included), other platforms do fill the need, and do so very efficiently. I humbly state (often) that I know few who can do more on their respective devices than I do.

It's not a matter of puffing out my chest; it's basically a truth... for me. I need a super-device that can be close to a laptop replacement. I have one.
    avt123 likes this.
    05-08-11 02:57 PM
    I think what AVT is saying is clear: more companies AND employees are using non-BB devices now. That isn't made up; I know of a few, legacy local companies that moved from RIM.

Now, you could argue that some of that migration has to do with cultural influences, but for some serious business professionals (self humbly included), other platforms do fill the need, and do so very efficiently. I humbly state (often) that I know few who can do more on their respective devices than I do.

It's not a matter of puffing out my chest; it's basically a truth... for me. I need a super-device that can be close to a laptop replacement. I have one.
    I'm not disputing that, iphone makes perfect sense for certain businesses but is it really at Rim's cost, where does it say that Rim has less bes customers then last year?

And I have no doubt most of the companies that have moved away from blackberry actually stopped providing devices too.

05-08-11 03:54 PM
    If what you say it's true it means Rim should have no bes customers by now, what exactly are you basing that on? On companies testing other solutions? On companies asking the employees to bring their own smartphone to work? And what makes you think Rim is not getting new bes customers all the time? Police here in Northern Ireland have adopted Blackberrys not that long ago. Sure as **** they're not gonna use iphones.

You are looking way too far into what I'm saying. I'm not saying everyone is doing it, I'm saying a lot are. While a lot leave, a lot also join. Like I said, I am not saying this is killing RIM or even hurting RIM, all I am saying is what is going on.
    05-08-11 05:18 PM
    After years of being a hardcore blackberry fan, It just was not working for me anymore. I got tired of carrying my Torch, iPod touch and a Flip video camera. After much hesitation i got an iPhone 4. it has been 2 weeks now with some adjustments i like it so far. I cant say that I will never go back to Blackberry, I'm just going to see what new models come out in the next year.
    05-08-11 05:28 PM
    Such a statement is meaningless. I know people who conduct their business better on an old Nokia N65 than on any smartphone. It depends on what you intend to use it for.

Many people can get away with an Android or iPhone for their business, I am not disputing that.

All I am saying is that when you look at the empirical evidence - from a corporate perspective, from an employee perspective - BB is the premier choice as a business machine. It outperforms the other devices on almost every relevant level.
    05-08-11 06:20 PM
    Such a statement is meaningless. I know people who conduct their business better on an old Nokia N65 than on any smartphone. It depends on what you intend to use it for.

Many people can get away with an Android or iPhone for their business, I am not disputing that.

All I am saying is that when you look at the empirical evidence - from a corporate perspective, from an employee perspective - BB is the premier choice as a business machine. It outperforms the other devices on almost every relevant level.
    BBs have been the king of business for the last 10 years or so. Up until about 4 years ago BBs basically had almost no competition in the smartphone race (North America, WM numbers weren't really high back then). No other company offered anything really close to BES and no other company built their OS and devices in house (besides Palm).

BB is the premier choice because it has a very nice head start, and many companies bought into BES years before the competition we are talking about even emerged.

I'm not going to argue this anymore because it is pointless.

Enjoy whatever device you use. As long as it works for you, that's all that matters.
    05-08-11 07:23 PM
531 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD