I went from a Storm to Incredible to iPhone 4 on VZW. Almost no chance I'd go back to BB. The hardware for the iP4 is so nice and well-built, and the OS is smooth and fast (I am JB'ed, but ran hybrids on my BB and rooted the DInc).
    04-19-11 10:15 PM
    I don't see myself going back to BB unless it were for work. I love having my iPhone because it does everything that I need it do and its a great personal phone. But I agree that BB's are better when it comes to productivity. Sending and receiving emails on my blackberry was amazing. But I just love the iPhone and cant ever put it down. I do love blackberries though and will definitely miss them. I miss the blinking LED and bbm :P
    04-20-11 04:38 PM
    I did. But only because my iPhone broke, and I couldn't immediately afford another...
    04-26-11 09:35 AM
    If RIM would ever get a product worthy of my money again yes I think I would. I have a spare BB I turn to from time to time only because I miss my BBM. But that is the only thing I miss about a BB
    04-26-11 03:58 PM
    never again
    04-26-11 04:15 PM
    I've tried so many times, and constantly end up back on an iPhone.

But, with the release of the BlackBerry 9900, that could change...
    04-27-11 04:44 PM
    Whenever I tell people that blackberry is behind the times with technology, the web browsing sucks and you can't even customize the phone.
    Okay, I've had my Verizon iPhone4 for eight days now (I replaced my 2-year old T-Mo BB 8900 with it), and although I think it's a fantastic device, I cannot agree that the iPhone is more customizable than the BlackBerry.

As far as "Sounds", you can only customize the ringtones and text tones on the iPhone - the BB sounds customization is endless. The BB platform offers unlimited Themes that can be switched - the iPhone is only capable of changing its Home Screen....you can't even change the font on the iPhone.

I don't want to get into an argument about which is "better", but I would like to know what you refer to regarding the superiority of the iPhone's customization abilities. Please elaborate....

I love the iPhone, but I miss a lot of features that the BB offers.
    04-28-11 08:51 PM
    Okay, I've had my Verizon iPhone4 for eight days now (I replaced my 2-year old T-Mo BB 8900 with it), and although I think it's a fantastic device, I cannot agree that the iPhone is more customizable than the BlackBerry.

As far as "Sounds", you can only customize the ringtones and text tones on the iPhone - the BB sounds customization is endless. The BB platform offers unlimited Themes that can be switched - the iPhone is only capable of changing its Home Screen....you can't even change the font on the iPhone.

I don't want to get into an argument about which is "better", but I would like to know what you refer to regarding the superiority of the iPhone's customization abilities. Please elaborate....

I love the iPhone, but I miss a lot of features that the BB offers.
    Fail. You forgot you can jailbreak and do different themes.
    04-29-11 03:17 PM
    NOPE I just got my Iphone 4 on Friday and exchanged it for my Torch and I WILL NEVER go back to BlackBerry I was a hard core BB fan BUT I love my White Iphone 4 and all the Free apps they have too, plus I have a Ipad and a Ipod touch all 3 of my kids lol.
    05-01-11 10:29 AM
    I tried a Bold 9780 for a few days, thinking I was going to go back to BB. After I put my sim card back into the iphone and powered it up, all I said was:

"why did I ever THINK to go back to BB?"

It's a shame, because BB makes good products.

RIM will need to change their way of doing things in order to get back in the game. Hopefully QNX is one of those changes.
    05-02-11 05:08 PM
    I'd for sure go back to a 9900!! Then I'd be right back here the minute the ip5 comes. lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-11 10:00 PM
    I tried the iPhone 3GS, and then the iPhone 4, for several months each. Both times I went back to BlackBerry.

I think what most of you tech weenies are missing is that most of the people who buy BlackBerries are not looking for the immersive experience of an iPhone or an Android. I use my phone for business, which means I have a very specific and narrow set of needs - and in almost every single category I need it, a BlackBerry is superior to the iPhone.

Messaging - better. Email management - better. Call quality/reliability - better. Bluetooth connectivity - better. Encryption/device security - better. Voice dialler - better. Calender - better. Keyboard - better. MSO/PC integration - better. Battery life - lightyears better. Dataspeed - just as good/better.

The stuff that makes the iPhone a 'better' device - the thousands of apps, the beautiful screen, better browsing, iTunes, whatever - is completely irrelevant to me. I want a business machine, not a toy.
    Last edited by Caesar1844; 05-05-11 at 12:47 AM.
    05-05-11 12:15 AM
    basically, everyone's different. I like both platforms.

05-05-11 09:48 PM
    i will when skype is made available for all bb (that works on both wifi and 3g) disregarding which carrier they use... that's the main reason why I switched...
    05-05-11 11:12 PM
    I tried the iPhone 3GS, and then the iPhone 4, for several months each. Both times I went back to BlackBerry.

I think what most of you tech weenies are missing is that most of the people who buy BlackBerries are not looking for the immersive experience of an iPhone or an Android. I use my phone for business, which means I have a very specific and narrow set of needs - and in almost every single category I need it, a BlackBerry is superior to the iPhone.

Messaging - better. Email management - better. Call quality/reliability - better. Bluetooth connectivity - better. Encryption/device security - better. Voice dialler - better. Calender - better. Keyboard - better. MSO/PC integration - better. Battery life - lightyears better. Dataspeed - just as good/better.

The stuff that makes the iPhone a 'better' device - the thousands of apps, the beautiful screen, better browsing, iTunes, whatever - is completely irrelevant to me. I want a business machine, not a toy.
    People use the iPhone perfectly fine as a business machine, just like people use BBs as toys.

Also, your data speed argument is total BS. RIMs NOC slows down your data speed. The only way you will see similar data speeds to other devices is by tethering. The device itself does not get data speeds equivalent to those not running on RIMs NOC. I tested this will my Bold 9000, 9700, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs when I was on AT&T. The iPhone consistently scored MUCH higher than the BBs. When tethered, they were much closer.
    05-06-11 07:44 AM
    People use the iPhone perfectly fine as a business machine, just like people use BBs as toys.

Also, your data speed argument is total BS. RIMs NOC slows down your data speed. The only way you will see similar data speeds to other devices is by tethering. The device itself does not get data speeds equivalent to those not running on RIMs NOC. I tested this will my Bold 9000, 9700, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3Gs when I was on AT&T. The iPhone consistently scored MUCH higher than the BBs. When tethered, they were much closer.
    It's hard to argue speed when it comes to data going trough noc and iphone, sure an iphone will download 1mb faster then a blackberry will download 1mb but that 1mb is actually 2mb in terms or browsing data or 4mb in terms of email data thanks to blackberry compression, so how do you calculate the speed?

05-06-11 09:26 AM
    It's hard to argue speed when it comes to data going trough noc and iphone, sure an iphone will download 1mb faster then a blackberry will download 1mb but that 1mb is actually 2mb in terms or browsing data or 4mb in terms of email data thanks to blackberry compression, so how do you calculate the speed?

Do a speed test. My iPhones were consistently 2-3mbps higher. When the BB was tethered to a computer, the speeds were about the same.

Connect a BB to a iPhone through a hotspot via WiFi and watch how much faster the BB loads data.

The compression helps you on the data plan but limits your speed in return.
    05-06-11 09:45 AM
    Do a speed test. My iPhones were consistently 2-3mbps higher. When the BB was tethered to a computer, the speeds were about the same.

Connect a BB to a iPhone through a hotspot via WiFi and watch how much faster the BB loads data.

The compression helps you on the data plan but limits your speed in return.
    Well that's the problem, does the speed test measure compressed data? If it does that means that data can be twice or even four times the end usable data and surely that makes the blackberry faster as the speed test might say 5mb/s but that can be 10 or even 20mb worth of data depending what is used for.

05-06-11 10:08 AM
    Well that's the problem, does the speed test measure compressed data? If it does that means that data can be twice or even four times the end usable data and surely that makes the blackberry faster as the speed test might say 5mb/s but that can be 10 or even 20mb worth of data depending what is used for.

It doesn't matter how much data is compressed. I am talking about the outcome man. Things are downloaded and loaded faster on other devices. It is the truth.

The compression slows things down. So you technically may be getting the same speeds, but by compressing them first it is slower.

Trust me, the BB is NOT faster than the other devices. I had them side by side, I would know.

BBs are not known for their data speeds. No use in trying to defend it.
    05-06-11 10:21 AM
    I am a businessman, and the IPhone is a remarkable business device for me.

05-06-11 11:02 AM
    As far as downloading files through the NOC, it seems that when I download something on OS 6, it does it via direct TCP because I have been able to get over 100kB/s downloads (that's bytes!) up to 130 which is about the max for EVDO rev. A realistically.
    05-06-11 11:20 AM
    As far as downloading files through the NOC, it seems that when I download something on OS 6, it does it via direct TCP because I have been able to get over 100kB/s downloads (that's bytes!) up to 130 which is about the max for EVDO rev. A realistically.
    I'm not sure how it works with cdma but on gsm when you go to a tcp connection you know right away as the little blackberry symbol beside 3G disappears. I got 170kb/s a few times, I know as I download the cnet buzz outloud podcast every day but that's on the noc connection, the only time it bypasses the noc is when I stream youtube videos.

05-06-11 11:32 AM
    I'm getting 170-220ish KBps (bytes) on my iPhone where I live with VZW. Same thing with my Droid X (when I had it) and Droid.

My friends Tour has never gone above 1mbps (125 KBps) and we have done speed tests side by side.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-06-11 at 01:49 PM.
    05-06-11 01:46 PM
    I'm not sure how it works with cdma but on gsm when you go to a tcp connection you know right away as the little blackberry symbol beside 3G disappears. I got 170kb/s a few times, I know as I download the cnet buzz outloud podcast every day but that's on the noc connection, the only time it bypasses the noc is when I stream youtube videos.

170KBps is garbage for GSM 3G (which can be blamed on the NOC). If I was getting around 3mbps+ with my iPhones on AT&T that equals 375KBps+.

Streaming media does not go through the NOC if I remember correctly. Streaming youtube videos and Pandora (other internet radio) use to ring up my data usage and killed my BBs battery life very quickly.
    05-06-11 01:51 PM
    I believe the Canadian version of the Torch is 14.4mbps (theoretically) capable. I would like to see a speed test on the Torch compared to another 14.4mbps capable device.
    05-06-11 01:55 PM
531 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD