Now that you have joined the dark side to speak can you ever see yourself going back to using a bb after purchasing an iphone or any other smart phone? What made you switch?

I don't ever see that in the realm of possibility of going back to bb and you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to the POS phone that was my bb. In my opinion the iphone and bb aren't even in the same realm of phones since the bb seems so far behind any smart phone today on the market. What made me switch was realizing how crappy my bb was after being kicked off the internet connection several times, calls dropping, and the lack of applications and the ones that were available were over priced.
    Last edited by glamourdollxoxo; 01-06-11 at 05:27 PM.
    01-06-11 05:24 PM
    Not even for the blinking LED? Ha

I'm interested in reading the opinions in this thread!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 05:28 PM
    Not even for the blinking LED? Ha

I'm interested in reading the opinions in this thread!

Not for the LED lol I just think bb needs to step up their game because other phones have so much more capability and bb hasn't put anything out since their slide phone (I cant think of the name) I was excited to get a bb, but since the phone basically was a big fail for me bb has lost it's touch in my book. It also didn't help the VZW wasn't a good choice for my bb since it kept dropping calls and after going through 4 bbs I called it quits and moved on.
    01-06-11 05:57 PM
    My wife bought me an iPad for Christmas (smile), and I love it for many reasons! High def display, beautifully fluid interface, excellent multimedia experience, getting lost exploring new apps (in a good way). I bought an iPod touch for my wife some time ago, and the iPad is EXACTLY the same with a larger, better screen.

I setup my corporate Exchange email account on the iPad with high hopes of leaving my laptop (and possibly my BlackBerry!) behind on my next business trip. I can honestly say that Apple and BlackBerry have two completely different, and opposite, strengths. As far as fun, sexy, entertaining, and appealing, Apple beats RIM by a mile. I like my Storm2, but it's nowhere near as fluid and complete a touch experience as iPad/iPhone. BUT...I absolutely HATE the email, calendar, and contacts interface on Apple devices. They clearly started with fun and business/productivity was a distant after thought. Just to give a small example, which drives me nuts, YOU CAN'T SNOOZE A CALENDAR REMINDER ON APPLE PRODUCTS (at least it's not obvious to me!). In fact, I completely hate every aspect of Apple's calendar app. The email client is probably just as bad. There's a setting to turn off email previews, BUT I STILL GET EMAIL PREVIEWS! And through iPhone/iPad, MemoPad/Notes do not sync at all.

I have now decided that there's a strong case for both BlackBerry and Apple products, depending on your focus/need. I do really love surfing the net on the iPad. Not so much on my BlackBerry (too damn slow).

From a productivity perspective, no one comes close to BlackBerry. They have the formula when it comes to email. Even moreso now that the native BB OS's support HTML email. That's really all that they were missing. Outside of work, I can't put the iPad down! It's awesome. I do hate the fact that Apple has decided to limit the Bluetooth functionality to keep consumers from getting data connections through smart phones on the WiFi devices. That's something that I did with my PalmPilot and SonyEricsson T68i 10 years ago! So to NOT have that capability today is insane. I will be jail breaking my iPad (and my wife's iPod Touch) very soon.

01-06-11 06:17 PM
    Just to give a small example, which drives me nuts, YOU CAN'T SNOOZE A CALENDAR REMINDER ON APPLE PRODUCTS (at least it's not obvious to me!). In fact, I completely hate every aspect of Apple's calendar app. The email client is probably just as bad. There's a setting to turn off email previews, BUT I STILL GET EMAIL PREVIEWS! And through iPhone/iPad, MemoPad/Notes do not sync at all.
    If you jailbreak your phone, there's an extension called RemindMeLater which adds the snooze functionality.

As for the email previews, I don't understand the problem you're having. I have it set to 3 lines, it shows me 3 lines, I have it set to "None," it doesn't show me anything.

For notes sync, as the saying goes, "there's an app for that." Find a notes app you like that syncs with whatever you want it to sync with.

There is a certain feature set with iOS, and some are oddly lacking, snooze is one of them. Thus there is a tradeoff. There is stability and ease of use with iOS that most other mobile platforms can't really achieve yet, but you have to deal with some odd quirks and lack in functionality. That's the tradeoff. If any of the quirks or lack in functionality are dealbreakers, then obviously iOS isn't the right choice for that person.
    01-06-11 08:33 PM
    Now that you have joined the dark side to speak can you ever see yourself going back to using a bb after purchasing an iphone or any other smart phone? What made you switch?

I don't ever see that in the realm of possibility of going back to bb and you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to the POS phone that was my bb. In my opinion the iphone and bb aren't even in the same realm of phones since the bb seems so far behind any smart phone today on the market. What made me switch was realizing how crappy my bb was after being kicked off the internet connection several times, calls dropping, and the lack of applications and the ones that were available were over priced.
    I won't EVER go back to a bb, truncated emails, battery pulls, memory leaks, and lets not forget the 9630 trackball fiasco lol, and the web browser I had on any BB, I realize OS 6 is out, but only on the 9780 and 9800 i believe... i don't miss the profiles since I always used the "loud" profile, it was either that or silent, while i do miss some customization for tones for email, and maybe, just maybe bbm... and the iPhone has threaded emails and nothing is truncated, just the occasion "click to download" the rest of the email

I may have some useless apps for gimmicks or some laughter, but try putting 170 apps on a bb lol rrrrriiiiggggght... not to mention the small processors, they seem to be milking it along to get every freakin penny they can out of everyone instead of give "die hard bb" users a real product... what a travesty

Ok I've said all I can say, who's next lol and I don't miss the LED either lol
    01-06-11 08:38 PM
    What made me switch over 2 years ago was T-Mobile sending me a $700 roaming bill. I decided to go AT&T and was going to get another BB. When I went to the AT&T Store, the iPhone 3G was making sexy googoo eyes and showing just a little bit of cleavage and I just couldn't resist. I bought it fully expecting to return it in a week. The week came and left. Then the month came and left. A year later I was ordering the 3GS as soon as it was available for online sale. This year I waited a bit thinking the white iPhone 4 was around the corner... I ordered the black one as soon as I found out it was going to be a long wait.

Will I ever go back to BB? I doubt it. iPhone is cutting edge hardware. The apps available to it are second to none. Build quality is amazing compared to what BB sells. Do I miss the LED? Are you kidding me???
    01-06-11 08:40 PM
    I won't EVER i don't miss the profiles since I always used the "loud" profile, it was either that or silent,...
    If your iPhone is jailbroken, try "MyProfiles." It's a slick app that lets you automatically launch different profiles depending on various factors like, charging state, location, Wifi, or time of day.
    01-06-11 08:42 PM
    If your iPhone is jailbroken, try "MyProfiles." It's a slick app that lets you automatically launch different profiles depending on various factors like, charging state, location, Wifi, or time of day.
    no **** .. that'd be cool if it did it by charging state and location and all that.. that's pretty bad a** i must say lol

Thanks
    01-06-11 09:57 PM
    Apple's Safari is one of the reasons why I switched (from Bold 9700) so until RIM releases a Browser that can compete I won't be going back.
    01-07-11 12:28 AM
    Even then I don't think I'll ever go back... Apple does everything BB can do, minus some customization unless your jb'n... better
    01-07-11 12:43 AM
    Let me say this about that, umm no.
    ecp1141 likes this.
    01-07-11 12:58 AM
    I'll give them another look when they start releasing QNX devices. I don't see myself going back to Blackberry this year, but I'm not foolish enough to say never.
    01-07-11 07:56 AM
    Maybe 1 day. All depends on what they bring out next year
    01-07-11 08:32 AM
    Nope. I don't have the iPhone (use to have two of them), but I wouldn't leave as well. Until I see QNX on a smartphone then I can make a decision. I will be purchasing the Droid Bionic though because it is a powerhouse. No BB compares to any current high end Android device or iPhone.
    01-07-11 09:14 AM
    Simple answer...No.
    01-07-11 09:43 AM
    If you jailbreak your phone, there's an extension called RemindMeLater which adds the snooze functionality.

As for the email previews, I don't understand the problem you're having. I have it set to 3 lines, it shows me 3 lines, I have it set to "None," it doesn't show me anything.

For notes sync, as the saying goes, "there's an app for that." Find a notes app you like that syncs with whatever you want it to sync with.

There is a certain feature set with iOS, and some are oddly lacking, snooze is one of them. Thus there is a tradeoff. There is stability and ease of use with iOS that most other mobile platforms can't really achieve yet, but you have to deal with some odd quirks and lack in functionality. That's the tradeoff. If any of the quirks or lack in functionality are dealbreakers, then obviously iOS isn't the right choice for that person.
    Roo Zilla - Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely looking for the RemindMeLater app! See...there's value in venting! I also don't like the fact that the calendar invitations don't tell you whether or not there's a conflict with the proposed time. Both Exhcange and BlackBerry tell you, right inside the invitation, whether or not it's safe to accept the appointment. Overall, I think Apple could have done a better job with the Calendar app and the email app. That's where they trail BlackBerry.

But I agree...it is a trade off! The fact that I can get my email and my calendar and my contacts on the iPad means I'm not solely reliant on a BlackBerry or a laptop anymore. For shorter trips, I'll only take the iPad. I do love it for everything else!!! :-)

Regarding my email preview issue, I don't like the fact that the inbox is a small sliver of the screen on the left (in landscape mode) and and the highlighted email automatically opens in a much larger window on the right. I'd like to turn off the preview of the email and have my inbox as the full screen. Apparently, that's not possible (or is it???). I see what you mean about the preview selection. i didn't realize it meant the preview in the inbox. i thought setting it to "none" would make the inbox take up the entire page, which is what I want. In Portrait mode, the highlighted email takes up the entire screen, which I don't like. The Inbox is then treated as an insignificant "pop up" that appears very small when selected. I can live with it, but it's not ideal for me.

I think the big difference between Apple and RIM is the segment of the marketplace that they initially focused on when they released their devices. Of course, the lines are now blurring...

Apple started w/the iPod, then iPhone, and now the iPad. The focus was more on the broader consumer market that used the devices for entertainment purposes. They excel at that. No other mp3 player can touch the iPod. The business functionality was an afterthought.

RIM, on the other hand, started out making devices for business users, was tremendously successful, and are now trying to capture the hearts and minds of the general consumer who's more entertainment focused. Wouldn't it be perfect if the two companies would come together!

To answer the original question, I think I'll keep a BlackBerry for work and use the iPad for web browsing, music and videos, gaming, etc.

I've been unsuccessful in jailbreaking my iPad. It came w/OS 4.2.1, and it's has a model number beginning with MC. The tools that I've tried aren't able to jailbreak MC model numbered devices for some strange reason. I just don't get it!
    01-07-11 10:42 AM
    That sounds COOL! Can you help me to jailbreak my iPad...LOL! Seriously, it's not possible with all devices running 4.2.1...yet! Darn!
    01-07-11 10:48 AM
    I have Verizon..and when the iphone comes I'm getting it. The web browser and lack of apps (Come on, you can watch netflix from an iphone!!) Not to mention the fact that blackberry doesn't offer any good phones for Verizon...it has to be done. I might get homicidal at learning how to use the touch screen instead of my beloved keyboard, but there is no competition!! I will be lost without my blinking LED and my BBM..but with the invention of Kik and all of the different things you can do with an iphone that you can't with a blackberry, its time to move on.

01-07-11 11:31 AM
    Not likely. BB isn't the right fit for me.
    It has it's strengths, but...

I miss bbm and auto text, but that's not enough to bring me back.
    01-07-11 05:23 PM
    I think it's all a matter of habit. I've been using BBs since people thought blackberry was fruit. I always had the current iPhone but lack of batt power always made it the secondary unit in my arsenal-- couldn't take it seriously. When the iPhone 4 came, I was surprised to see how long the batt lasted ( it was comparable to my 9700 and I was pleasantly shocked). it quickly became my primary phone. Within weeks, I had become so used to it that I couldn't imagine using anything else. I found that I missed my keyboard for a quick response to an email while driving, or a fast one key speed dial from the keypad, but I didn't care-- I was so in love with the apps and the feel of the unit in general. good phone!
    About 2 months ago, I got a new suv. I don't keep vehicles for very long. My business partner and I are kind of car enthusiasts and we frequently exchange our vehicles for new/better ones. One thing i always insist on is the "technology" package which includes bluetooth. Anyhow-- the iPhone refused to stay latched on to the car's BT system. To make a long story short-- I had to give it up as my main phone cause I refuse to drive around holding the phone to my head, and it makes no sense to not take advantage of what was a 4500 dollar option.
    I had to go back to BB cause BBs never have a problem latching onto anything. I got the Torch, and more recently the 9780. I alternate between the two. I'm so used to the BBs (again), that now, I couldn't imagine doing my daily tasks without one. ( I still use my ip4 at home for reading, games, apps etc.).

The point I'm making is that we're creatures of habit and we get used to, and adapt to-- whatever we use routinely.
    So to answer the OP's question ..... yes. I can see myself going back to the BB and liking it. That being said-- I can also see myself going back to my ip4 if an update from Infiniti would get my ip4 to stay latched on to my vehicle!! LOL.

01-08-11 07:33 AM
    YEs/no.

I can't commit to one phone for a long time. I now have an iPhone 4 and a 9700 & 9000 sitting in my room. I'll probably just sell those, but i couldn't be more satisfied with the Apple interface, its so 'smooth' and everything is where you need it - it seems.

I've now had ~15 BB's in three years [i always buy & sell them to try another one] and 4 iPhones [including my current]. So i'm not a brand loyalist by any means. A lot of my friends have migrated from the BB to iPhone world without any real complaints - just minors issues.

Although, BB push email, profiles & the LED would be great to have on this. Not a necessity just the one thing that would make this the perfect phone in my books!
    01-08-11 10:23 AM
    I think it's all a matter of habit. I've been using BBs since people thought blackberry was fruit. I always had the current iPhone but lack of batt power always made it the secondary unit in my arsenal-- couldn't take it seriously. When the iPhone 4 came, I was surprised to see how long the batt lasted ( it was comparable to my 9700 and I was pleasantly shocked). it quickly became my primary phone. Within weeks, I had become so used to it that I couldn't imagine using anything else. I found that I missed my keyboard for a quick response to an email while driving, or a fast one key speed dial from the keypad, but I didn't care-- I was so in love with the apps and the feel of the unit in general. good phone!
    About 2 months ago, I got a new suv. I don't keep vehicles for very long. My business partner and I are kind of car enthusiasts and we frequently exchange our vehicles for new/better ones. One thing i always insist on is the "technology" package which includes bluetooth. Anyhow-- the iPhone refused to stay latched on to the car's BT system. To make a long story short-- I had to give it up as my main phone cause I refuse to drive around holding the phone to my head, and it makes no sense to not take advantage of what was a 4500 dollar option.
    I had to go back to BB cause BBs never have a problem latching onto anything. I got the Torch, and more recently the 9780. I alternate between the two. I'm so used to the BBs (again), that now, I couldn't imagine doing my daily tasks without one. ( I still use my ip4 at home for reading, games, apps etc.).

The point I'm making is that we're creatures of habit and we get used to, and adapt to-- whatever we use routinely.
    So to answer the OP's question ..... yes. I can see myself going back to the BB and liking it. That being said-- I can also see myself going back to my ip4 if an update from Infiniti would get my ip4 to stay latched on to my vehicle!! LOL.

OK nothing to do with the thread but how old are you? It makes me cring to see people posting about texting or responding to email while driving putting others lives in danger. You however are even worse as you seem to think texting is fine while driving and that hold a phone to your ear isn't an option. Even talking on the phone while driving puts lives in danger but no where near texting or something that takes your eyes away from the road.

Please stop, go kill yourslef but leave innocent people out of your path.

/rant
    Teek likes this.
    01-08-11 10:42 AM
    I won't say no, who knows what the future holds.

But I did last week for a day... Bold 9650 on Sprint (love my iPhone but AT&T sux for me).
    My goodness, it felt so out dated. The apps really suck, and I thought I missed BBM but as it turns out, the majority of my bbm friends have jumped ship. I also got used to having a large screen.

I had to exchange the BB the next day for an EVO.
    It's a great second best to the iPhone.
    01-08-11 12:50 PM
    Without bashing Blackberry I can easily say I won't be going back to Blackberry anytime soon.

The reason being that I love my iPhone and everything it has to offer, and I believe it offers a lot more resources for me as an end user to be a productive and successful person in my daily life. The Apple ecosystem is amazing for me. I love the way the iTunes has everything my phone needs to do what i want it to do. The app store is amazing and so far still unmatched in developer support. You can moniter a patients vitals while at home preparing your children for bed on this device, your teenagers can walk around the house laughing at the silly fart sounds they disovered they can make. And when your bored at work you can jump on your Madden 2010 season and knock out a few plays or win a superbowl. Its really a great phone for me and others that i know use them, from my dentist and doctor to best friend and little brother.

So to stay on topic nahhh I'll be staying away from Blackberry for some time to come as my personal phone that I pay for.
    gmz73 likes this.
    01-08-11 01:27 PM
531 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD