My cousin is currently on vacation and would like to purchase a 3GS to take back home to mexico. His carrier is Telcel which currently only sells the 3G versions.

I have a friend with an ATT account who could purchase the phone for us at full retail and then he could take it home, but we are unsure if it will connect to his existing network. He asked at his local telcel store before he left but the rep did not sound to convincing when he said that they could most likely make it work. Anyone have a similar experience? He would just like to have the latest and it would really make his friends mad too!

My concerns are sim card, unlock the phone to work on non ATT network, etc....

Thanks in advanced.
    07-22-09 12:23 PM
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work there if they are already selling the 3G he should just need to buy a Telcel SIM.

I think you will have to use one of the hacks to unlock your phone though, either redsn0w or purplesn0w. I don't think AT&T will unlock an iPhone even if you pay full retail for it.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here.
    07-22-09 01:56 PM
    yea as long as you jailbreak and unlock the phone it will work fine. because it only works on a regular 3g signal just like the 3g so there won't be an issue it will even work on edge. as long as it's a gsm network its all good.
    07-22-09 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD