Does anybody think that Apple will offer an upgrade to iPhone 4 users when the next iPhone comes out. They should, due to the antenna and proximity sensor issues with the iPhone 4, and the way it was handled.

Even though the iPhone 4 is an amazing device, the fact still remains that it was released with problems. I can't even use a clip on holster because of the case I have to wear on my phone.
    12-06-10 08:45 AM
    I don't have any issues with my iPhone 4 whatsoever, that being said I am eligible (less than 2 years) for a June/July upgrade.
    jayman2 likes this.
    12-06-10 08:48 AM
    First off....Apple has zero say as to whether or not iPhone 4 owners are upgrade eligible. That is AT&T's call.

As far as your question goes, I wouldn't count on it unless the Verizon iPhone is going to be released either at the same time or shortly after the iPhone 5. I could see, under that scenario, AT&T opening up upgrades for existing i4 owners to try and keep them from jumping ship to Verizon.
    jayman2 likes this.
    12-06-10 08:54 AM
    First off....Apple has zero say as to whether or not iPhone 4 owners are upgrade eligible. That is AT&T's call.
    You're right about that. I didn't realize my mistake until you mentioned it.

Thanks guys, for your input.
    12-06-10 12:48 PM
    I don't have any issues with my iPhone 4 whatsoever, that being said I am eligible (less than 2 years) for a June/July upgrade.
    Neither do I. With 3 lines, I'm usually eligible by
    the time a phone I want comes out. One line is
    already eligible and was since July of last year.
    My main line is eligible every 12 months. So I'll
    be getting mine at the discounted price either
    way.

Also, I don't think Apple should (if it was their
    choice) allow for early upgrades. The problem
    was mentioned before anyone's 30 days were
    up and everyone had a chance to return it.

Now if that's the game they wanna play, I'll put
    the iPhone on that 3rd line prior to the iPhone
    announcement so I can be eligible on all 3 lines.
    Ha.
    12-06-10 05:01 PM
    no. they will make you buy it. and you will. however, those that buy ip4 will probably be able to seamlessly upgrade to the OS. apple is good like that. it's why they are so beloved. they make things simple. the ip4 probably will stay in the lineup and 3g will drop off.
    12-06-10 05:51 PM
    How much of a change do you think we'll see with the next iPhone (5)? Does anyone think it will be a 3G>>>3GS change. I know wont be upgrading because my iphone4 works perfectly and looks like the day I got it, I absolutely love mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 08:14 PM
    I think itll be more of a 3G->3GS upgrade. I mean what more could they put on the thing? It still has top notch specs for today- 1ghz processor, plenty of RAM, one of the best smartphone cameras on the market regardless of megapixels, one of the best screens on the market.

The only reason Id upgrade (or see a reason to) is if they made the screen bigger- 3.7-4". I really wouldnt mind the PPI to go down only slightly to gain .2-.5"
    12-06-10 08:54 PM
    I will def upgrade even if i have to pay retail..lol
    12-06-10 10:24 PM
    How much of a change do you think we'll see with the next iPhone (5)? Does anyone think it will be a 3G>>>3GS change. I know wont be upgrading because my iphone4 works perfectly and looks like the day I got it, I absolutely love mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't think it will be anything drastic like we saw from 3GS > 4. Probably see a bump in capacity, a bump in MPs on both cameras, an iOS rollout, and maybe 3G Face Time.
    12-07-10 07:49 AM
    I think they will do something about the antenna for sure, either putting it inside the phone once again or coating it so that the hand does not short cut it. Having said that, i think it will be a 3Gs kind of update.
    12-07-10 01:02 PM
    Lol, AT&T or Apple offer a discount to people just because? No way.
    12-09-10 12:43 PM
    I dont want my Iphone 4, i felt like im using my old ipod touch 4G just only because i can send messages and make calls
    If you really really don't want your iPhone 4, I'll do you a favor and take it off of your hands
    12-09-10 12:47 PM
    Lol, AT&T or Apple offer a discount to people just because? No way.
    They did it last year when they opened up everyone who purchased an iPhone 3GS in 2009 for an upgrade for the iPhone 4.
    12-09-10 12:54 PM
    Does anybody think that Apple will offer an upgrade to iPhone 4 users when the next iPhone comes out. They should, due to the antenna and proximity sensor issues with the iPhone 4, and the way it was handled.

Even though the iPhone 4 is an amazing device, the fact still remains that it was released with problems. I can't even use a clip on holster because of the case I have to wear on my phone.
    When I said "upgrade", I didn't mean a free upgrade. I meant an early upgrade option, with the usual PITA service contract and the upgrade purchase price for the phone.
    12-09-10 02:50 PM
    They did it last year when they opened up everyone who purchased an iPhone 3GS in 2009 for an upgrade for the iPhone 4.
    I think AT&T will continue doing so now even more that VZ seems will have the iphone. This is one excellent way to prevent current costumers from choosing big red over ma bell.
    12-10-10 08:42 AM
    I think AT&T will continue doing so now even more that VZ seems will have the iphone. This is one excellent way to prevent current costumers from choosing big red over ma bell.
    Those are excellent points, and I wouldn't have any problem re-signing a contract for 2 years. I've been with Cingular/AT&T for about 13 years now, and I have no intentions in leaving any time soon.
    12-10-10 10:49 AM
    My mistake, I didn't know they did that - I have a buddy who had a 3GS, and he paid the full price for a new iPhone4. Wonder if he knew about it?
    I agree with dcgore tho - if they've done it before, they'll probably do it again to stop Verizon switchovers.
    12-10-10 02:11 PM
    I bought my iPhone 4 on releases day of 06/24 and already have a upgrade for 06/16/11 so Im sure I'll sell my iPhone 4 to get the new one. especially if there is a 64GB model because my 32 is full
    12-11-10 12:41 PM
    Exactly, plus they want to keep people on thier network, so what better way to do it then offer the new iPhone, and extend the contract another year?
    12-12-10 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD