Meant to add a ? to the end of the topic title but it slipped my mind, sorry.
    Well we can all hope that a new iPhone will be coming out this summer.
    If you go to your dialer screen and enter *639#
    You will receive a message shortly after letting you know if you are eligible for an upgrade and if not when you will become eligible.
    I think they screwed me over because I bought a 3G last summer on a 1 year contract (after 3GS came out) then I gave it to a friend and bought a 3GS from Best Buy last December, so I received a text saying I'm eligible for an upgrade 12/03/2010....
    I'll have to go to the store and have a good long talk with them about this.
    End of rant...
    Here's why I posted... this is the message I received from AT&T.

"A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 12/03/2010. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer."

From that I'm taking that come time for the release of the new iPhone they will allow current iPhone users to upgrade to it (upgrade at a higher price) with a 2 Year contract and a $18 upgrade fee.
    Unless by "upgrade at a higher price" they mean upgrade at $XXX > $XXX and not just upgrade to a newer iPhone.
    I'm hoping it means upgrade early to a new iPhone with a 2 year contract and $18 upgrade fee. But something tells me it means they'll charge us let's say $100-$200 more with a contract and upgrade fee and not make us by it outright.
    03-11-10 10:33 PM
    If at&t does an early upgrade program for the iPhone, it's probably going to be similar to what they did when the 3GS was released. I don't remember the exact details. It does not matter because I am eligible for an upgrade right now baby Just waiting...
    03-12-10 04:01 AM
    I think it would be smart of their part if they did. The would spike their revenue and sign people to 2 years once again. At&t should realize and they probably do that this is the device they should promote and thus concede incentives such as early upgrades.
    03-12-10 08:31 AM
    Should they? Shouldn't they?

Most likely they will, but not as amazingly as they did the first time around.

If I remember right, their early upgrade prices still sucked, and they weren't the same price as someone with a brand new contract.

Technically, they don't have to.

So if they don't I won't lose any sleep, and I'll still pony up the money.
    03-12-10 08:47 AM
    Hrmmm.. I am interested in this.. I got the same message as you FTWrath. Only difference is my upgrade was 6/2011. Hrmm.. I worry about upgrade price. But probably still be a 2-300 dollar upgrade price.
    03-12-10 08:54 AM
    It's quite possible that you will be able to get an early upgrade. I was able to upgrade early but I had to pay 400 instead of the 200 (for new customers and those eligible for full upgrade) and instead of the 600 (for those not eligible for any upgrade at all. It shouldn't cost you that much anyway to upgrade. Just sell your 3GS unlocked and you'll get the cost of the new iPhone back easily and you may get enough where you may not have to use your early upgrade at all and just come out the pockets $100.
    03-12-10 09:00 AM
    I'm hoping it means upgrade early to a new iPhone with a 2 year contract and $18 upgrade fee. But something tells me it means they'll charge us let's say $100-$200 more with a contract and upgrade fee and not make us by it outright.
    A 32GB iPhone 3Gs cost 599 instead of 699...

So instead I added a line, paid 299 for a new 32GB 3Gs, paid an ETF and cancelled the line.

299 + 200 = 499

$499 < $599 yes?
    03-12-10 09:17 AM
    A 32GB iPhone 3Gs cost 599 instead of 699...

So instead I added a line, paid 299 for a new 32GB 3Gs, paid an ETF and cancelled the line.

299 + 200 = 499

$499 < $599 yes?
    Yeah that is cheaper but by the time you factor in the first month's bill which will have 1 month of data in advance also, you'll come very close to if you just bought it at $599. Give or take a couple bucks. And also depending on when you cancel you may wind up paying for 1 month and then partial of the next month's. I don't think it's worth the hassle because you'll end up saving around 20 bucks.
    03-12-10 09:30 AM
    But if you pay the 599, then you still have to pay the proration of the data anyway, so regardless it'll still be more than the 499 option.

I didn't have any problem, because I didn't mind paying for the service, I just didnt want to pay 599, when full retail is just 699.

Because c'mon, 100 off? That makes me lol
    03-12-10 09:49 AM
    But if you pay the 599, then you still have to pay the proration of the data anyway, so regardless it'll still be more than the 499 option.

I didn't have any problem, because I didn't mind paying for the service, I just didnt want to pay 599, when full retail is just 699.

Because c'mon, 100 off? That makes me lol
    Yes I agree but after 1 month your total cost is still near the same. Like I said it's just not worth all the hassle for me to save very little. But hey that's just me. That instead of jumping through all those hoops I'd just find one on Craiglist or Ebay that is new/almost new and pay about 500 and I'm good. But once again, that's just me.
    03-12-10 09:55 AM
    I agree it's a hassle, and to be fair, I feel its nice that they give us a discount at all.

Given that we technically did sign a 2 year contract.

But hey, they give us wiggle room for a reason.
    03-12-10 10:09 AM
    the iPad will be my new phone.
    03-12-10 10:19 PM
    Either way, I'll be getting it. I honestly don't think AT&T should be giving early upgrades for iPhones. If that's the case, do it for all phones.

Title updated
    03-14-10 12:41 AM
    Thanks Duvi. Well if they sent me a message saying they WILL be shouldn't they be honoring it? I can show them the message when I'm upgrading and hold it against them right?
    I'll give them a call and ask about it to clear things up.
    03-14-10 12:27 PM
    Yes I agree but after 1 month your total cost is still near the same. Like I said it's just not worth all the hassle for me to save very little. But hey that's just me. That instead of jumping through all those hoops I'd just find one on Craiglist or Ebay that is new/almost new and pay about 500 and I'm good. But once again, that's just me.
    You won't be finding the new model at that price for awhile .. at least on eBay.
    03-14-10 01:59 PM
    You won't be finding the new model at that price for awhile .. at least on eBay.
    Yeah I agree. We were talking about the 3GS though.
    03-14-10 02:23 PM
    Thanks Duvi. Well if they sent me a message saying they WILL be shouldn't they be honoring it? I can show them the message when I'm upgrading and hold it against them right?
    I'll give them a call and ask about it to clear things up.
    If you have an official email, you're golden man. Most iPhone lines are eligible within the year anyways. $99+ plan = every 12 months for full upgrade.
    03-15-10 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD