Hey - I recently sold an iPhone on Ebay and replaced it with a new one for myself. The person who bought it wanted it specifically because it had 02.11.07 firmware, which I think is unlocked?? I think that's what I heard, not sure, but I just remember him telling me not to change it and leave it like that before I sold to him.

Anyway, since i assume that the firmware meant it was unlocked I also assume he's using it on another network besides AT&T, so he's had it for a few weeks and he emails me yesterday saying that the Wi-Fi is not working. When I had it, I don't recall having problems with the Wi-Fi (using AT&T), but he said he's been having problems with it since he got it.

I heard somewhere that using iPhone on a carrier other than AT&T can cause some bugs with some functions of the phone..could this be one of them? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
    05-24-09 03:31 AM
    I'm not sure where you heard that using an iPhone on other carriers causes bugs, but that's absolutely not true. The phone is buggy all on it's own. (kidding about the buggy part)

So no, I doubt the WiFi issues are because of using it on another carrier.
    05-24-09 03:33 AM
    Hey - I recently sold an iPhone on Ebay and replaced it with a new one for myself. The person who bought it wanted it specifically because it had 02.11.07 firmware, which I think is unlocked?? I think that's what I heard, not sure, but I just remember him telling me not to change it and leave it like that before I sold to him.

Anyway, since i assume that the firmware meant it was unlocked I also assume he's using it on another network besides AT&T, so he's had it for a few weeks and he emails me yesterday saying that the Wi-Fi is not working. When I had it, I don't recall having problems with the Wi-Fi (using AT&T), but he said he's been having problems with it since he got it.

I heard somewhere that using iPhone on a carrier other than AT&T can cause some bugs with some functions of the phone..could this be one of them? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Wi-Fi network protocol and spec is completely and 100% independent of the hardware (bb, iphone, nokia) and software (mac, windows, iphone, bb, linux). that is what makes Wi-Fi work seamlessly across thousands of hardware and software platforms. Tell the person to double check his Wi-Fi router settings. There is no way that a non AT&T network would cause Wi-Fi issues.
    06-01-09 01:01 AM
    well I had problems with my iPhone not picking up wifi so all I did was restore and rejailbreak and its working perfectly.. iPhone 3g on tmobile
    06-01-09 01:55 AM
    I was going to say that it could be a jailbreak issue. The firmware he wanted may just be more susceptable to easier jailbreaking.
    06-01-09 03:23 AM
    There's a bug that is randomly affecting 2.2.1 users.. in a nutshell, the wifi chip is overheating and becoming permanently damaged.

If he updated then there's nothing you can do to fix it, and must be replaced.

It's a bug in 2.2.1 and all over the apple.com forums.. if he updated the device, and wifi isn't working, chances are this is the cause.
    06-01-09 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD