What name shows up when you connect to a wifi network? Does the proper name you name it in iTunes show up? Does the equipment ID show up? Does anyone know?

The reason for asking is if you use a public/work wifi network and are surfing piolitically charged websites that aren't blocked, how do they know it is you?
    02-19-11 10:20 AM
    What name shows up when you connect to a wifi network? Does the proper name you name it in iTunes show up? Does the equipment ID show up? Does anyone know?

The reason for asking is if you use a public/work wifi network and are surfing piolitically charged websites that aren't blocked, how do they know it is you?
    What shows up is whatever the network was named. iTunes doesn't have anything to do with your network. It will only display your device's name.

When I allow someone onto my network, I can see their IP address.
    02-19-11 10:45 AM
    So if my I4 is named "Iphoneofmine" in iTunes, that isn't the name that shows up for whichever network I am connected too?

If I am surfing the net through a wifi connection, there is no way to ID my device?
    02-19-11 10:50 AM
    So if my I4 is named "Iphoneofmine" in iTunes, that isn't the name that shows up for whichever network I am connected too?

If I am surfing the net through a wifi connection, there is no way to ID my device?
    You have a good point there. I do notice when I tether my iPhone and PC with the utility, "MyWi 4", it shows up in my PC's list of available networks as my device name. So maybe that's how other networks see it also. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
    02-19-11 12:32 PM

The name of your iPhone on the wifi network is its same name in iTunes.
    02-19-11 01:16 PM
    The name of your iPhone on the wifi network is its same name in iTunes.
    Correct, so if you're worried about people knowing your name, don't name your iPhone "trobow's iPhone" or whatever your name is.
    jayman2 likes this.
    02-20-11 01:29 AM
    Correct, so if you're worried about people knowing your name, don't name your iPhone "trobow's iPhone" or whatever your name is.
    Once your iPhone is named, can you safely rename it?
    02-20-11 07:25 AM
    Once your iPhone is named, can you safely rename it?
    Yes. Click on the name of your iphone in Itunes. Once it changed into edit mode (sometimes you gotta hold on to the mouse button an extra second until it changes) , type in whatever name you want. Hit enter. Do a backup. Done.
    jayman2 likes this.
    02-20-11 07:48 AM
    Yes. Click on the name of your iphone in Itunes. Once it changed into edit mode (sometimes you gotta hold on to the mouse button an extra second until it changes) , type in whatever name you want. Hit enter. Do a backup. Done.
    Thanks. It worked just great.
    02-20-11 08:13 AM
    You should name it Droid, so if someone comes looking they won't look at you once they see you have an iPhone. Lol
    02-20-11 09:39 AM
    You should name it Droid, so if someone comes looking they won't look at you once they see you have an iPhone. Lol
    Or....I could name it someone that I don't like, including their address and phone number. LOL
    02-20-11 09:48 AM
    I name all my Wi-Fi networks as either "Want Trojan Huh" or "No Access B*tch"
    02-20-11 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD