Hi,

My wife and I are going to Mexico for vacation. She has a 3G iPhone, the place we are staying at has wifi. My question is will she be able to connect to the resort network. Does wifi alow you access to e-mail.

I'm a BB user myself and own a 8310 so wifi is not an option for me.
    10-29-08 11:44 AM
    what resort network? we can't read minds. yes you can use wi-fi to access email.
    10-29-08 05:12 PM
    Hi,

My wife and I are going to Mexico for vacation. She has a 3G iPhone, the place we are staying at has wifi. My question is will she be able to connect to the resort network. Does wifi alow you access to e-mail.

I'm a BB user myself and own a 8310 so wifi is not an option for me.
    I know that at my college you have to download a certificate to go online, and my iPhone did not allow for it to get online. But the normal websites where you just hit "connect" should work.
    10-29-08 05:57 PM
    i just got back saturday from a week in cancun, and i had been curious as to whether i'd be able to use my iphone while there. i called at&t before i left, and they told me that due to the iphone's constantly transmitting information - for things like push email, gps location, weather, etc, etc - that it would've cost me hundreds of dollars to even just have the phone on while there; it was going to be something like 5 cents/KB transmitted. i used it on the airplane, in airplane mode, so i could listen to music, but i didn't even turn it on while there. the lady at at&t said i could add a worldwide plan or something like that for like $6, but it wasn't worth it, as i was going on vacation and would've only used the phone for stuff like stock market info, facebook, sports, etc - things that could wait til i got home. just an fyi.
    10-29-08 09:37 PM
    i just got back saturday from a week in cancun, and i had been curious as to whether i'd be able to use my iphone while there. i called at&t before i left, and they told me that due to the iphone's constantly transmitting information - for things like push email, gps location, weather, etc, etc - that it would've cost me hundreds of dollars to even just have the phone on while there; it was going to be something like 5 cents/KB transmitted. i used it on the airplane, in airplane mode, so i could listen to music, but i didn't even turn it on while there. the lady at at&t said i could add a worldwide plan or something like that for like $6, but it wasn't worth it, as i was going on vacation and would've only used the phone for stuff like stock market info, facebook, sports, etc - things that could wait til i got home. just an fyi.
    I apologize for the miss information, but WiFi is up to the internet provider to charge.

If the resort has free access or paid access, you could use it to connect and not be charged by AT&T. A cool trick is to turn airplane mode on and then turn wifi on. This way the only data coming through is from the wifi connection.
    10-30-08 04:44 AM
    I apologize for the miss information, but WiFi is up to the internet provider to charge.

If the resort has free access or paid access, you could use it to connect and not be charged by AT&T. A cool trick is to turn airplane mode on and then turn wifi on. This way the only data coming through is from the wifi connection.
    thanks for that tip....now i know this for future reference....
    10-30-08 11:16 AM
    thanks for that tip....now i know this for future reference....
    Anytime.
    10-30-08 03:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD