Why I Hate the iPhone
    by SilverSurfR

I don't have to tell you how limited the choices for Blackberry apps are, and when you look at what is possible on the iPhone, the results are jaw-dropping.
    This is what is luring me to the iPhone. I don't have one because of an impassable roadblock I've mentioned too often.

I dislike the "Apple Way", not really Apple itself so it pretty much boils down to how I feel about a particular person's vision. Apple basically doesn't make anything new. They repackage old technology to make products that usually work better than the advanced technology of their competitors. But their steadfast refusal to become more open alienates those of us with a will to do things in our own way.

My first run in with the app store was less than positive but I played with it more and more, I could see what my Touch is capable of (without a persistent connection) and I can only imagine what the iPhone's persistent 3G connection would allow.

But Apple maintains too much control over what I can put in my Touch and how I would be able to connect the iPhone should I get one. This is the Apple that I hate and why I will probably never get an iPhone and also wind up selling my Touch.
    08-05-08 12:27 PM
    love my iphone.. there are no risks unlocking it (bricking) as you an simply restore it to default then restore it to your last backup as if nothing ever happened. with app store now and cydia/installer customization is endless. i've created the most beautiful themes (http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/wha...tml#post598030) for iphone and i've come to be amazed by the functionality of the iphone over the blackberry. only thing i miss is instant email and the lightning quick texting but id sacrifice those (despite the iphone now having a push email service) for what the iphone offers now.
    08-11-08 02:09 PM
    I wouldn't say I hate the iPhone; I just feel it doesn't live up to the hype...

When people talk about it what do they say? Ipod..internet..games..movies..looks cool...those are all multimedia aspects of the device..which it does very well; but what about everything else? If it is a multimedia centered phone then that's what it is, but don't try and say it can be used effectively by serious business users..because it can't.

What also makes people "hate" the iphone are the iphone fanatics that run around yelling that their device is the savior of smartphone technology when it is not. It seems in order to get the same functionality out of the iphone as other devices, you have to "jailbreak" the phone or find a work around...A phone that "amazing" shouldn't need to be "hacked" to make it work the way they claim it does. How do you have a multimedia phone with no cut/paste or MMS? I actually had the option to get an iphone when my VZW contract was up...but I opted to renew and get a curve than go to ATT. ATT coverage is not as good as VZW..and Apple has long been a company that thinks of itself before the consumer...ask yourself why on the Apple shelf in the computer store there are only a handful of programs...Ask yourself why a company would release an expensive 2G iPhone and make you pay exorbitant prices just to later on release a cheaper better version of the phone...After playing with the phone I chose functionality over form factor, whims and bad companies.
    Last edited by dredayholiday; 10-14-08 at 03:03 PM.
    10-14-08 02:58 PM
    :::Takes a big swig of haterade::: I just don't like the fancy Ipod. It is a toy, BlackBerry is a way better communicating tool, why do you think corporate has been using it for so long? The Iphone will never have the push e-mail or security that BlackBerry provides. I walk around my campus all the time and literally everyone i see with an Iphone is playing games on it. It doesn't even have cut and paste or a video recorder, lame as sh!t...
    10-14-08 03:08 PM
    All Right.. I have had BlackBerrys from 7100t, 7105t, 8700, 8100, 8320, and now 8120. I also owned the iPhone 2G, and now own the iPhone 3G, and believe me, it LITERALLY sits there collecting dust! I don't like the speakerphone on the iPhone, nor the Bluetooth, nor the ability to handle background apps, etc etc. I HATE that phone, and I will always hate that phone until they can figure out some way to make the keyboard better, allow background apps (without jailbreak), have more bluetooth profiles, etc etc... I LOVE my BB 8120 and can't wait for the Bold or even the Storm to kill iPhone 3G. I HONESTLY only use the iPhone to listen to Pandora on the drive to/from work, and rest of the time, ITS OFF! Sorry guys, but the iPhone has WAY too many things it needs to improve on! I can't even listen to music while browsing the web on the beautiful screen that I can't type on!?
    10-14-08 04:12 PM
    I love both sides, but why say "without jailbreaking"? Then I assume none of you have 4.5 OS as it hasn't been released, used the memory optimizer, or have to d/l another browser (Opera Mini) as all those is like jailbreaking the device. RIM has not co-signed any of this for you guys (4.5, not yet).

If I jailbreak, I can get a copy and paste, video recorder, and the ability to run apps in the background.

Serious business phone? So the memory leak that deletes SMS/Email/Call logs is good for business? Yeah okay. I literally had over 40 apps and have yet once worried about memory. I also have true HTML email and a lot of my corporate AT&T emails have HTML... wish I could view them like my PC.

Everyone can go back and forth on which is better, but I find it funny why you would be against jailbreaking if it can do those things that is missing (so you guys say), but do things that haven't been approved by RIM to do. Even MMS can be done after jailbreaking.
    10-14-08 04:53 PM
    Pagaldesi.... welcome to CB.
    10-14-08 04:54 PM
    Seriously?
    Why hate a phone?
    - vendor locked software (no free or ad-hoc programs, too restrictive )
    - carrier locked
    - international use is not as clean cut as say an BB 8000
    - cant remove battery
    - internal storage is insufficient
    - corporate email doesn't work, corporate policies are hard to enforce meaning there isn't a high degree of likelihood you'll get this "for free" from work.
    - battery life is horrific
    - touch screen is unusable, inferior to dedicated keypad
    - the additional screen real estate is nice, safari is the best mobile browser yet, but this makes the iPhone good at one thing out of many many dimensions of use. Its a toy first.
    - widespread reports of bricking on software upgrades, Apple makes insane attempts to keep people out of the OS while ignoring long standing problems.
    - iPhone callers to me sound like pure garbage, phone has a weak radio, drops calls easily, packetizes conversations (stuttering, robo-speak, audio goes away and comes back).

Currently I carry both a Motorola/iden i570 and a BB 8000 (ATT). The i570 is the best phone-audio quality I have ever heard ever, and the battery that comes with it is 3.6V with 1140 mah.

The BB 8000 with OS 4.5 does Google Maps (v2.3.1) and directions and "TomTom/Garmin" mode perfectly, it has bad voice quality, works perfectly with the BES server (mail comes to the BB before the Outlook Desktop), works perfectly internationally (except stupid places like Korea), and can browse regular websites with greater ease. iPhone beats it for the browser, and the i570 beats it on voice, but these are the two phones I need to rack up 100's of emails a day and thousands of voice minutes a month.

These are not toys, this is not a political statement, this is supposed to be a PHONE, and its supposed to work with corporate EMAIL perfectly.

iPhone can only do one thing right, which is browsing, and that's not getting me emails and its not getting me good voice call quality.
    10-14-08 05:47 PM
    Well I think Blackberries are overated but this is a "blackberry" forum but you can't say that here. Around these parts its cool to like the blackberry and hate the iphone.
    10-14-08 05:57 PM
    - vendor locked software (no free or ad-hoc programs, too restrictive )
    WTF? There are more useful free applications than blackberries. Most free apps for the BB are garbage. Hope the new app store changes that. Explain "no .... ad-hoc programs"

- carrier locked
    And? You would like to use it for multiple carriers? Or would you like to take the phone with you when you leave AT&T? Don't worry, an unlocked version is coming. You can actually get one now, just not in the U.S.

- international use is not as clean cut as say an BB 8000
    It's not clean... so please explain from your personal experience how? If you mention a phone that isn't yours, your point is invalid.

- cant remove battery
    Tell me the need? Get another charger. The money you saved getting an iPhone rather than other smartphones, you can buy extra for work & the car. Most phones need battery replacements. The iPhone does not have as many battery issues as other phones and therefore, it's not needed.

- internal storage is insufficient
    16gb is insufficient? You can't even get more than that on a sd card for other devices (released in the u.S.) and how many people would buy a 16gb card for an arm and a leg anyways?

- corporate email doesn't work, corporate policies are hard to enforce meaning there isn't a high degree of likelihood you'll get this "for free" from work.
    The director of my company (AT&T) uses an iPhone as his corporate device. He sends/receives emails faster than any of the devices he has ever had. You must have used an iPhone personally (I would hope) and not from word of mouth or someone else's device.

- battery life is horrific
    It's a 3g device and has a bigger screen than all the devices out there. You want it to have the same or better battery life? I get great battery life, but once again you probably have an iPhone right? Sure you do.

- touch screen is unusable, inferior to dedicated keypad
    For you! I have big fingers and I still manage to type faster than any device I've ever used. Subjective... next!

- the additional screen real estate is nice, safari is the best mobile browser yet, but this makes the iPhone good at one thing out of many many dimensions of use. Its a toy first.
    I will list more for you since you missed a couple... Text (a good threaded sms app that the BB doesn't have), Emails (Yes, I love forgetting that I'm not on my PC. This is something I wasn't ever able to do on my BB. That's right, no real HTML on the BB, so sad ), Videos, YouTube, photos, Maps application (I like to see more than one block ahead), and games. I could keep going, but that should be enough for now

- widespread reports of bricking on software upgrades, Apple makes insane attempts to keep people out of the OS while ignoring long standing problems.
    Where did you read/hear this? Because "reports" just means you didn't experience this. I know I haven't and I hacked my first generation iPhone.

- iPhone callers to me sound like pure garbage, phone has a weak radio, drops calls easily, packetizes conversations (stuttering, robo-speak, audio goes away and comes back).
    Maybe it's your BB that is hating on the iPhone. I sound great and others say I do too, unless I'm ripped (I'm actually ripped as we speak. Don't call me or you'll think it's the iPhone, lol.)

Currently I carry both a Motorola/iden i570 and a BB 8000 (ATT). The i570 is the best phone-audio quality I have ever heard ever, and the battery that comes with it is 3.6V with 1140 mah.
    You are totally right... the best .... YOU have ever heard of. For me it's Nokias.

The BB 8000 with OS 4.5 does Google Maps (v2.3.1) and directions and "TomTom/Garmin" mode perfectly, it has bad voice quality, works perfectly with the BES server (mail comes to the BB before the Outlook Desktop), works perfectly internationally (except stupid places like Korea), and can browse regular websites with greater ease. iPhone beats it for the browser, and the i570 beats it on voice, but these are the two phones I need to rack up 100's of emails a day and thousands of voice minutes a month.
    Good point especially since a lot of business is done in Japan... Can your BB work there as well? Nope. Matter of fact, can you BB even get highspeed DATA abroad? Never mind, it doesn't domestically, why would it internationally?

These are not toys, this is not a political statement, this is supposed to be a PHONE, and its supposed to work with corporate EMAIL perfectly.
    If you want a phone first, then I would drop the iDen device. Why are you using two devices anyways? I'm in the NYC/NJ market and everyone quickly learned that passing any tall buildings or high cliffs, they wouldn't be holding on to that call for long. Now I can't remember the last person aside from my barber who still has a Nextel device. There must be a reason. Although you say it's not a toy, when you say you are using an iDen device for anything (voice or data), it makes me giggle like a school girl. I only know of toys that accomplish that.

iPhone can only do one thing right, which is browsing, and that's not getting me emails and its not getting me good voice call quality.
    I sound like a broken record, but I know you have probably used this device from personal experience for more than a month or two, because there only thing I somewhat agree with is the phone part of the device. It's not as good as a BB, but it's good enough not to have dropped a call since the 2.1 update. It's definitely better than your iDen device in all regards. Ask the coverage chart (please select Nextel for a chuckle) over @ Sprint. Compare it to the best native coverage over here. (Yes, best native coverage)

P.S. For AT&T true, coverage, you have to put it on GoPhone to eliminate roaming parters.
    Guess what? The iPhone still isn't better than the BB, nor the reverse, but please realize that your thoughts/opinions aren't as valid, if at all, more than a user who uses both for an extended period of time like your truly. If you have, please disregard the last statement. Have a great day
    10-14-08 07:38 PM
    I love both sides, but why say "without jailbreaking"? Then I assume none of you have 4.5 OS as it hasn't been released, used the memory optimizer, or have to d/l another browser (Opera Mini) as all those is like jailbreaking the device. RIM has not co-signed any of this for you guys (4.5, not yet).

If I jailbreak, I can get a copy and paste, video recorder, and the ability to run apps in the background.

Serious business phone? So the memory leak that deletes SMS/Email/Call logs is good for business? Yeah okay. I literally had over 40 apps and have yet once worried about memory. I also have true HTML email and a lot of my corporate AT&T emails have HTML... wish I could view them like my PC.

Everyone can go back and forth on which is better, but I find it funny why you would be against jailbreaking if it can do those things that is missing (so you guys say), but do things that haven't been approved by RIM to do. Even MMS can be done after jailbreaking.
    AMEN Brother Jayden

i am and will always be an avid blackberry user but the iPhone for me was a personal preference. I feel like i can't go wrong (truthfully) with either device.

I live in Baltimore. Right Downtown near the harbor (bout 3 blocks literally) and I NEVER have any issues with reception with neither my AT&T or VZW. I have traveled to various parts of the city with extremely low and non-existing towers and yet my status bars were the same on both devices.

For me, it wasn't a social choice it was a PERSONAL choice that i decided to make. I was an iPhone hater but that was because I did not experience the device for MYSELF. Tomorrow, will be 2 weeks since i purchased my iPhone and my partner her bb and i can honestly say that i feel that i made a good choice I will be keeping both phones as well (just to set the record straight)
    10-14-08 08:00 PM
    The bottom line for me...

The few people I know that have iPhones are sooooo effin SMUG when they pull out their phones and wave them around. I can't stand it.

So that killed the iPhone for me. Besides, either you're an Apple/Mac person or you're not and most front like their all Mac knowing darn well they got a Dell at home LOL...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-08 11:36 PM
    The new Bold.... It's on fire. Literally.
    LMAO!!! I just spit beer on my screen.

10-14-08 11:59 PM
    I personally don't hate it, but I definitely get a kick out of the fact that many Apple people tend to turn their noses up at those that use PC's, and yet they're using a phone that is severely flawed for serious business users.
    10-15-08 12:17 AM
    The bottom line for me...

The few people I know that have iPhones are sooooo effin SMUG when they pull out their phones and wave them around. I can't stand it.

So that killed the iPhone for me. Besides, either you're an Apple/Mac person or you're not and most front like their all Mac knowing darn well they got a Dell at home LOL...

You speak of me? I have an XPS. Lol. Well I'm not a mac person at all. The iPhone was my first Apple product.
    10-15-08 01:40 AM
    Its a good phone it just has issues that need to be fixed like no cut and paste. the apps for it are awesome. browser is great. email is slow. sms needs forwarding. NO mms.
    10-15-08 03:28 AM
    I don't hate the iPhone. In fact, I have two white 3G iPhones both activated.

I'm just bored with them, that's about it. It's the reason I bought a Curve, for something different and because it can do things the iPhone can't.

I'll be cancelling the contract on one of the 3Gs after I sell it on eBay. That way I can afford the cancellation fee.

The iPhone is a great phone and I've had fun with it but it's just so blah. The apps were exciting for all of about 10 minutes and new apps being released are more of the same. I don't need it for the GPS, I have two Garmin Nuvis fully capable of doing a zillion things the iPhone GPS can't. I already have two iPods that can do what the iPhones iPod can do.

Sound. Yes the iPhone had a major sound problem. How many times did I have missed calls or SMS messages while I was extremely busy working and didn't know this till a few hours later. The SMS and phone ringer volums were just too low. I can hear my BB ring LOUD. I will not miss hearing it ring.

I especially liked the iPhone because of how easy it was to text on it. The spell checker worked nearly perfectly and it was quick and easy.

The only thing that the iPhone can truely do better is the syncing with a Mac or Windows computer. It's just flawless and too easy.

I'll still keep one iPhone activated to use for fun but my main phone is now a BB Curve.
    10-15-08 07:37 AM
    Being new to the iPhone (under a month, and loving it!) I dont know as much as the rest of you guys do about the subject, but I have never had a phone that I wasn't always tinkering with, trying to upgrade/change or work around the MAN! When I had my BB I upgraded the OS a few times, and was on the forums constantly looking for ways to alter my phone in any way possible! I guess I am happy with whatever phone I have as long as I can change it ;p

P.S This thread was some of the best reading ever....very funny stuff!
    10-15-08 02:17 PM
    I don't hate the iPhone. In fact, I have two white 3G iPhones both activated.

I'm just bored with them, that's about it. It's the reason I bought a Curve, for something different and because it can do things the iPhone can't.

I'll be cancelling the contract on one of the 3Gs after I sell it on eBay. That way I can afford the cancellation fee.

The iPhone is a great phone and I've had fun with it but it's just so blah. The apps were exciting for all of about 10 minutes and new apps being released are more of the same. I don't need it for the GPS, I have two Garmin Nuvis fully capable of doing a zillion things the iPhone GPS can't. I already have two iPods that can do what the iPhones iPod can do.

Sound. Yes the iPhone had a major sound problem. How many times did I have missed calls or SMS messages while I was extremely busy working and didn't know this till a few hours later. The SMS and phone ringer volums were just too low. I can hear my BB ring LOUD. I will not miss hearing it ring.

I especially liked the iPhone because of how easy it was to text on it. The spell checker worked nearly perfectly and it was quick and easy.

The only thing that the iPhone can truely do better is the syncing with a Mac or Windows computer. It's just flawless and too easy.

I'll still keep one iPhone activated to use for fun but my main phone is now a BB Curve.
    Yeah, those iPhone commercials about "apps" and how "this will change everything" crack me up. Even Palm devices have had the ability to download apps for how many years?

Bottom line, the iPhone has a great MP3 player and a killer web interface. So... just do what I did and use a Curve for 99% of what I do in my everyday life, and use my iPod touch when I want the improved MP3/web browser... but even then, I still don't find myself using it all that much, other than to play music.
    10-15-08 03:33 PM
    You speak of me? I have an XPS. Lol. Well I'm not a mac person at all. The iPhone was my first Apple product.
    Well if the shoe fits?! LMAO!!!

The only Apple products I've owned are 2 iPods that I actually got for free. I'll admit over the years I've become more interested in owning a Mac (due to windows burnout) but at those prices, forget about it.

The iPhone is (or was) entertaining and fun to look at but honestly, I would rather have a BlackBerry over an iPhone because with my BB, I feel like I can get so much more accomplished. If I had to send a text, make a phone call and look up directions in a short amount of time...I feel I could do this very quickly and efficiently. I'm all about being fast an efficient. I guess it's the Silicon Valley mentality I've adapted to over the years. I wouldn't feel confident using an iPhone in this manner.
    10-16-08 12:29 PM
    :::Takes a big swig of haterade::: I just don't like the fancy Ipod. It is a toy, BlackBerry is a way better communicating tool, why do you think corporate has been using it for so long? The Iphone will never have the push e-mail or security that BlackBerry provides. I walk around my campus all the time and literally everyone i see with an Iphone is playing games on it. It doesn't even have cut and paste or a video recorder, lame as sh!t...
    This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. Of coarse corporations have been using them for so long because they have been around longer, and are better than WM phones. How can you say it will never have the push e-mail or security BBs have? The iPhone has been out for 2 years, RIM has been in this market for over a decade. How can you really compare the two? Their is no doubt that RIM has better security RIGHT NOW, but to say ever is just foolish. The push email is basically the exact same speed. I have an iPhone 3G and an 8330. Sit them side by side and they both receive emails around the same times one always being a little faster than the other.

So what if you see people playing games on it? Sorry the iPhone has quality games on it that are either free or relatively cheap. Sorry the iPhone is actually able to have quality games with good graphics unlike a BB(hopefully the storm gets some good game apps).

OMG, no cut and paste, this has been beaten to death for how long? I barely ever use it on my BB, but for people who like that feature I can see why they would be upset. But still, I wouldn't call a phone lame for not having it. The Storm has no WiFi, should I automatically say it's lame? And if you want a video recorder, Jailbreak it and there you go.
    10-16-08 12:49 PM
    Okay I just gotta say right now I'm not even a smartphone user. I have a Samsung N330 (both cheap and tiny). It's not so much that I don't like the iPhone but it's AT&T's poor service that leaves a horrid taste in my mouth. Their call quality is awful.
    10-16-08 11:09 PM
    This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. Of coarse corporations have been using them for so long because they have been around longer, and are better than WM phones. How can you say it will never have the push e-mail or security BBs have? The iPhone has been out for 2 years, RIM has been in this market for over a decade. How can you really compare the two? Their is no doubt that RIM has better security RIGHT NOW, but to say ever is just foolish. The push email is basically the exact same speed. I have an iPhone 3G and an 8330. Sit them side by side and they both receive emails around the same times one always being a little faster than the other.

So what if you see people playing games on it? Sorry the iPhone has quality games on it that are either free or relatively cheap. Sorry the iPhone is actually able to have quality games with good graphics unlike a BB(hopefully the storm gets some good game apps).

OMG, no cut and paste, this has been beaten to death for how long? I barely ever use it on my BB, but for people who like that feature I can see why they would be upset. But still, I wouldn't call a phone lame for not having it. The Storm has no WiFi, should I automatically say it's lame? And if you want a video recorder, Jailbreak it and there you go.
    Don't waste your time on these dudes, they act like only the iphone has issues and their blackberries are perfect, they must have some infeority complexes. Apple is building a great ecosystem around the iphone, look at the App store with many free aps, and most of the apps are under 10 dollars, how many blackberry apps are even that cheap, Apple has something right, and with the way consumers will line up for Apple products, they'll be here for a long time.
    10-18-08 03:47 PM
    I own one therefore I have the right to hate it. Although it does make for a nice ipod...

10-19-08 12:30 AM
    It's a PHONE-

Something you don't need to buy or use-

No one is forcing it on you-

If you like your BB cool! awesomel-

But why do you feel the need to hate a PHONE?

It's pretty comical that people would harbor those kinds of feelings for a PHONE.
    I find it funny that you care so much about a PHONE (the iPhone in this case) that you MUST know why people hate it.
    10-19-08 01:27 AM
123 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD