What would I be gaining if I left my tour and switched to AT&T for the iphone 3GS? I know I would lose the OTA downloads, but I would gain TONS of apps which would be the main reason I would switch. Please try to convince me
    08-06-09 03:46 PM
    You could copy&paste, oh wait......
    08-06-09 03:47 PM
    I know the blackberry has had the copy paste feature for a while now, ive had an 8330 curve and recently upgraded to the tour. However, ive always been interested in the iphone and the 3GS seems to grab my attention and hold it longer than any of the other iphones. Im just looking for what I would gain besides wifi and a bunch of apps if I were to make the switch.
    08-06-09 04:00 PM
    I have ran both phones and the blackberry is better in my personal opinion. The best service I have found for the bb is with Sprint. I don't like a lot of features that the iphone has, not to mention I am used to the bb. It is just an all around better phone to me. It's all based on your personal preference.
    08-06-09 04:09 PM
    I've owned the iphone 3gs and unless you just want more of a gadget doer than a business and powerful device then go for it. I have the Tour and it is way solid, Not to mention that I haven't dropped a call since I switched. I had the iphone since the first one came out and the first two were not bad I mean it's truly a game changing device. Look at at the pros and cons.. Full touch vs physical keyboard. att vs sprint service, wifi vs no wifi, in my area with the tour I don't miss wifi because I have real good 3g coverage so you have to weigh that out. The last thing for me was cost. At&t plan for everything was 99+30+20 for data and text. Sprint 99 thats it. Not to mention that includes navigation and sprint tv with att you have to add another 20 a month so weigh the options. If you really want it wait until next year when they come with a cdma version and keep it on sprint. I would not do it on att unless your service is good in your area.
    08-06-09 05:11 PM
    I see more negatives about the iphone than negatives for my use with the tour. The tour has been more than solid in my area with exceptional 3G service. I think im just looking for some more thrills but in reality I know i dont need them.
    08-06-09 05:51 PM
    Last night I took my wife to the AT&T store and got her an iphone as well. I told her if she doesn't like it, well take it back in 30 days and get her the blackberry.

She's been txting all day about how much she loves the iphone. I'm pretty sure she won't be switching back to blackberry.
    08-06-09 06:12 PM
    umm ok:
    flawless and intuitive OS
    Apple Support and updates
    the fastest browsing expeience on a mobile phone to date
    good battery life
    the ability to easily jailbreak
    the very best touchscreen on the market
    wifi
    THE APP STORE
    the most customizable device on the market (once jailbroken)
    faster 3g speeds than verizon

Why would you use anything different?
    it all comes down to if you are dedicated to a physical keyboard or not..EVEN IF YOU ARE an iPhone is absolutely worth considering.
    08-06-09 09:48 PM
    You could copy&paste, oh wait......
    What is the "oh wait" part? You can copy and paste.
    08-06-09 09:58 PM
    Ok well how is AT&T coverage in your area?? In my area vzw and ATT are virtually the same so there was no coverage change. What do you mean no OTA downloads? software upgrades? VZW does nto pump out upgrades often anyways. and you can download any app or anything from itunes and now tv shows n movies OTA.

Pro's:
    -Apps
    -Media(i watch tv shows and movies on my iphone 3gs all day!)
    -Games the iphone has become a portable gaming system that works great.
    -wifi great for browsing the web idc what anyone says my 3gs on wifi is way faster than my father's tour on 3g.
    -Web browsing is better on the iphone than any mobile device.
    -Customer support Apple is second to none when it comes to support.
    -Seamless integration for mac user's like myself

con's
    -no physical keyboard
    -Stuck on AT&T (issue for those who ahve to switch but i love my service)
    -no multitasking or quick app switching.
    -Push is starting to become functional.

while the con's seem small to the pro's it depends on what you use the device for.

I am away from a computer for hours so the iphone has become a replacement to a netbook for me. I watch movies when bored, and play some great games i actually got rid of my ds since i like the iphone better.
    I needed the web on the go and the iphone fits me but i often switch to my bold for when i want a keyboard.

I think most people asking this should just go buy an itouch. If you already have a new gen BB i.e. Tour Bold 8900 Storm your probably beter off with an Itouch so you can have the best of both worlds. The iphone's apps can be amazing but the simple tasks such as email texting and calling it is no better than a BB.
    08-07-09 12:04 AM
    What is the "oh wait" part? You can copy and paste.
    he's talking about how apple is acting lie copy&paste is a new feature. lol however the copy & paste on iphone is amazing as it does more than basic copy & paste.
    08-07-09 12:06 AM
    OK OK I'm going to finally admit it, I finally succomed and bought an iPhone 3GS about two weeks ago (an additional device not a replacement). After all if Kevin can do it so can I. The more I use it the more convinced I am that he is right: the BB may not be as polished but you can get more done, the iPhone is more polished but has more limits but is better at entertaining you.

I have to admit that the copy and past feature in the iPhone 3GS is better than that of the Storm but I still prefer that trackball style.

If you leave a Tour for a 3GS you get three things

1. The wow factor to impress your friends
    2. A better web browser
    3. Tons of (mostly useless) apps

Both of these will get old very fast once you start to get frustrated trying to get your work done because you loose

1. TRUE multitasking (being able to listen to music in the background is NOT multitasking no matter what Apple says, being able to run multiple apps at the same time and switch between them as needed is multitasking)
    2. PUSH email (yes you can get that with Mobile Me but do you really want to spend another $100 a year ON TOP of the regular data plan?). The IMAP email client on the iphine is very slow to get messages
    3. Removable/expandable memory
    4. Removable/replaceable battery
    5. Organizing pics is a royal pain in the 3GS
    6. No pics messaging on the iPhone (yet)

There are many many more but you get the idea.
    08-07-09 01:45 AM
    I just got my iPhone 3gs yesterday. I have Verizon for the past two years. I didn't use to have good coverage with ATT, but now I have real good 3g coverage in my area. I was disappointed in the tour. I have had it for a month and it already does not work right. I have had Blackberries for two years, and they all seem to last only six months. I don't use it for business. I just liked it for the internet and email. I am a writer and we mainly correspond through email. But now iPhone has push email with yahoo. I love it! I have the iPod touch so I am used to typing and how it works. It is so easy to synch my calender and update unlike with the Blackberry. I have a Macbook so I was not able to update my software on my Blackberry. I don't get what people are talking about when they say you cannot do multitasking on an iPhone. I am able to listen to music, text, and play a game of scrabble with no problem. The only thing that might have me go back to Verizon is the fact the nearest Apple Store is almost two hours away from me if something goes wrong with my iPhone. Granted I have only had it less then 24 hours, I am so in love with it. I love the apps, and I don't think they are all useless. A lot better downloads then Blackberry.

Brandie
    Last edited by DrEvil818; 08-07-09 at 07:30 AM.
    08-07-09 07:26 AM
    if you arent locked into contract, switch and see. you have 30 days in which you can return the device, get your moolah back and go back to verizon. thats what im doing, i picked up the 3GS yesterday, and i came from a Tour on VZN.

The Tour was a GREAT phone, dont get me wrong. And VZN's network is great. But ever since the original iphone was released, ive always wanted to give it a shot. I put it off, mainly because of ATT's network, but in my area (virginia beach) they have really been picking up their game. They have upgraded alot of towers, and are getting ready to install a brand new one literally at the end of my street - which will give excellent coverage to this area of the city, which is the only area where coverage isnt the best. Although i installed a GSM booster in my house and i get a solid 5 bars, so its not a problem.

Give it a shot if you dont have to pay an ETF with vzn. I've only had the iphone 24 hrs, but i love it. I dont use my phone for business, so the entertainment improvement of the iphone over the bb is big for me. and i can still email on my iphone to get what i need to get done. You can ask opinions all day long, but you really wont have a good answer to your question until you have the device in your hands yourself.

either way, you will enjoy either one =)
    08-07-09 09:14 AM
    It all depends on what you want in a device that will determine which features you can live without. I was using both a blackberry and iPhone until 3.0 and the 3GS came out. Before 3.0 there were several basic features missing that wouldn't allow to let go of the blackberry. But with 3.0 my Bold has been home tucked away in the drawer since the 3gs launch.

If you give up the blackberry you'll lose:

Push email
    BB Messenger
    Great physical keyboard
    MMS (until AT&T stops being lazy)
    VZW network

But you'll gain

Great web browser and media player
    Real HTML email
    Can have push along with other features with MobileMe
    Tons of cool apps for productivity and play
    Best touch screen device

So at the end of the day you'll have to decide which features you can live without. I have friends who say they will never leave their blackberries and I have some that converted to iPhones and wonder why they took so long. I myself am not loyal to any brand. I will get whatever device works for me at that time. Right now, its the 3GS and it will probably be something else by this time next year.

Just go for a 30 day test drive and see what you think.
    08-07-09 10:22 AM
    JMK33.. one reason and one reason only....

No mobile OS compares to that of the iPhone.. smooth.. solid.. and just works!
    Not to mention there is not a better built phone out.. iPhone = Audi.. others = Pinto.. yea I'm talking to you Pre/Storm!
    08-07-09 11:04 AM
    No mobile OS compares to that of the iPhone.. smooth.. solid.. and just works!
    coming from the tour to the 3GS, this is a BIG one. you dont realize how much the BB OS needs a an overhaul until you start using the iphone os.
    08-07-09 12:24 PM
    If you want to... you know all the pros/cons of both, so the next step is to make a decision.
    08-07-09 12:25 PM
    On top of what has already been covered, only 1 or 2 people mentioned the Tour's lack of Wifi compared to the iPhone. When I switched over from the Storm to iPhone I thought that Wifi would be a little added bonus. But it turns out to be a show stopper. Having the ability to jump on a Wifi hotspot at home or elsewhere in order to browse and download stuff really fast is a really big deal. I love it. It is also great for streaming media like Youtube, podcasts, etc. Everyone knows that 3G (even, gasp, on Verizon!) can be hit or miss. Since I live in an urban area I hit a lot of hotspots, but just being able to use iPhone for superfast connectivity while sitting on my couch (I don't have a laptop) is very enjoyable.
    Last edited by mdude85; 08-07-09 at 01:36 PM.
    08-07-09 01:33 PM
    There could be a huge list of reasons, but I finally switched from the Storm to 3GS a month or so ago.

...It's just better. In every way. You don't have to scourge forums trying to fix things on a daily basis. It just works.
    08-07-09 03:06 PM
    I don't understand how anyone can complain about removeable memory when it comes to an iPhone...

32GBs?

C'mon now.

Thats an obscene amount of memory.

How much more can you possibly need-
    08-07-09 03:26 PM
    Just bought an iPhone , coming from a treo 700wx. I should have made the move a long time ago. I'm not a business person so I don't need the push email, the yahoo push works fine for me on the iPhone. I bought the regular 8 gig version for $99 bucks. Can't beat that. My only complaint is the keyboard, I use to a physical keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 03:37 PM
    I don't understand how anyone can complain about removeable memory when it comes to an iPhone...

32GBs?

C'mon now.

Thats an obscene amount of memory.

How much more can you possibly need-
    i hear ya i opted for the 32gb model myself and only have 5 gb free yes i have that much media. haha

but i think its for those on the 3g who opted for 8gb then realized they wanted more.

the biggest feature that apple does and no one has been able to figure out is using the hard rive for app storage not the RAM!!!!! i mean seriously i would love my BB a million times more if they would allow you to store apps on the onboard mem.

and while there are many useless apps on the iphone people act liek there are no good ones. there are over 65,000 apps in app store id say maybe 85% are trash. but that still leaves a couple thousand good ones. i currently have 80 apps loaded to my iphone which i use all the time. and the games are amazing i love playing doom and worms . so that is big diff if you will use apps again i say go iphone.
    08-07-09 05:04 PM
    Want to hear something funny? I was at a convention the other day and everyone had some sort of blackberry. The last time I strolled the halls of my college, every one had an i phone. Interesting huh?
    08-07-09 05:19 PM
    If you need to hear what other people say about the iPhone vs the blackberry, it's really not worth it. What's important to you? Communication or recreation? Where BB would be communication and the iPhone is recreation. You already have a BB, get a iPod touch and be done with it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 05:32 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD