I was here thinking why people buy from Apple and pay loads of their hard-earned money just to have a slightly faster or thinner device every time a new device pops out.
    I don’t consider Apple products to be bad, hardware is great and software works fine for the most part, they have a huge ecosystem and hundred thousand of apps. I own an Ipad and a Ipod myself and I pretty happy with it. But let me be honest since the first Iphone was launched I don’t see any significant innovation going one. You can say 4S it’s faster and has a better camera, but what’s a point of buying a new phone if you have 90% same experience?
    So my point is people buy iDevices because no one show them nothing radically better or different.

RIM is no copycat and hopefully will bring a new, fresh, innovative OS. As an engineer my work is to make complex things simpler and I understand Apple point, but the real challenge is to innovate.
    Last edited by bastospn; 07-17-12 at 02:13 PM.
    flash24 likes this.
    07-17-12 02:04 PM
    One word: preference. It's what people want -- a lot of people. They like what they like, and Apple charges what they they think people are willing to pay. And they keep buying them because it's the same experience improved, same reason people like me keep buying BlackBerry's.
    07-17-12 02:11 PM
    Some will buy because the device exactly matches their needs, and they need to replace an existing device. New warranty, wear and tear to swap-out, kids nagging for the retiring device, money to burn, perception of enhanced status by always having the latest model...

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there. Because I can.
    07-17-12 02:11 PM
    The same thing could apply to any product. People tend to have brand preferences and buy those products regularly.

Why buy Coke and not Pepsi in the store every week?

Why buy Kellogg's corn flakes instead of another brand?

Why buy Ford trucks instead of Chevys?
    07-17-12 02:15 PM

But you don't buy the 2012 F-150 then buy the 2013 F-150 the next year.

Most people buy new Apple products for the chance to feel exclusive and a "class" above everyone.

Person #1: "got the iPhone 4, eh?"

Apple Fanboi: "lol. more like 4S"
    07-17-12 02:31 PM
    As a newly starting out video editor, I was a little uneasy about having to pay $1500+ for a MBP just to do a job, but I can say since I have gotten it I have had 0(ZERO) issues with the MBP and any that I did have AppleCare took care of. Mainly the only reason that I went with Apple is because of the software (FCP) and it was what I learned on. In Apples defense if I wanted a PC or laptop to do the same, it would be custom and I would spend the same money if not more. I have PC's at home and it has been relocated to the kids and every now and then something will popup and I have to clear it out or Comodo will, but I don't get those on my MBP.
    Now as far as the iPhone, I knew long ago that I never wanted one and even with the 4s out I still don't want one because to me the iPhone is nothing more than a glorified iPod with a cellular app in it and as far as people have told me you can download and app and make calls from an iPod.
    I did not want to venture into BB's because I always felt it was for business people, but once I got my first 8350i, I have never looked back and won't. I am starting a self employed business and I have the phone (9930) that can keep with whatever I need but even if I didn't I would still stay with BB for the simple reason that "it does what I want it to do" without failure.
    My kids androids are always crashing and they have to reset more often than not, since my first and recent BB I have had them crash a few time and bricked only my 9650, which Sprint restored. So in short yes Apple devices (computers and laptops, maybe even tablets) are almost second to none but the phone is suspect in every aspect.
    Last edited by dakid72; 07-17-12 at 02:37 PM. Reason: more info added
    07-17-12 02:34 PM

Most people buy new Apple products for the chance to feel exclusive and a "class" above everyone.

It all depends. When I worked at the public library back in high school and college, the regional manager bought a new Buick every year. She did not lease the cars, but traded them in and bought the next year's model. She had the money and could afford it.
    07-17-12 02:35 PM
    One word: preference. It's what people want -- a lot of people. They like what they like, and Apple charges what they they think people are willing to pay. And they keep buying them because it's the same experience improved, same reason people like me keep buying BlackBerry's.
    You hit the nail on the head my friend. If I find something I like I dont really need to be wowed into buying it again. Improve my experience (even slightly) and if I feel like it's worth it, I'll upgrade.
    07-17-12 02:47 PM

Cars/Phones that's not a fair comparison. Although I've upgraded a car fairly quickly because a new one came out with options I preferred. I only did it because I put enough down on the previous one that allowed me to do it without being upside down. I can almost ALWAYS sell my older iphone 1, 2 or 3 years later for enough money to buy a new one and pocket a few bucks. If that's the case then why not upgrade if it's what you want.

As far as "class" and exclusivity, that is an non factor whenit comes to iphones now. Cricket, the prepaid no credit check, cell phone company that is open to any and everyone who can't get a phone with any one else, now has the iphone. Exclusivity has officially gone out the window...
    07-17-12 02:50 PM
    I buy Apple products because they stand behind their sh*t and help me if I have a problem.
    Their products suit my needs and I am able to work with and use them with ease.

I absolutely love that if I have a problem with my iPhone or even my iPad, I don't have to
    go through a carrier's help (or no help). They do their own thing for their own products and
    I honestly believe people find carrier's to be a hassle.
    07-17-12 04:53 PM
    Some will buy because the device exactly matches their needs, and they need to replace an existing device. New warranty, wear and tear to swap-out, kids nagging for the retiring device, money to burn, perception of enhanced status by always having the latest model...

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there. Because I can.
    Even with my previous post, the statement in bold is sadly true for the most part. Which
    coincides with the money to burn thing. If people have money to burn they go with the
    "latest." I can see where the iSheep term comes from and it is warranted for some people.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-17-12 04:56 PM
    easy, their hardware is top notch, and customer service is unmatched plain and simple.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-17-12 05:19 PM
    The same could be said of BB. Why buy the latest bold when it was a slight upgrade from the previous bold. That was especially true for the storm series.

Come to think of it, one had to choose with the early curves on wether you wanted a GPS or wifi capable phone.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-17-12 06:25 PM
    The same thing could apply to any product. People tend to have brand preferences and buy those products regularly.

Why buy Coke and not Pepsi in the store every week?

Why buy Kellogg's corn flakes instead of another brand?

Why buy a Ford or Chevy when you can drive a RAM?
    pri79269 likes this.
    07-17-12 06:31 PM
    I'm going to say that the average buyer waits two years between purchases, the normal length of a contract term here in the United States. So while the jump between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S was not huge to those with an iPhone 4 it would've been a much larger jump to those with an iPhone 3GS.

My own personal reasons for using Apple products come down to support. I may pay a little more for computer however I know I can get free and timely support at the Apple store, online or by phone.

While most companies are shipping their support overseas and will provide you a few months for free, Apple continue to offer support free of charge for as long as you own the device and can get to an Apple store. Even outside of the standard AppleCare warranty I can go to the Apple Store and I'm guaranteed help with my device (outside of the warranty repairs will cost me money).

As for price, yes I probably pay a little more for a computer but for the iPhone the price is comparable or cheaper than the competition. From $0-$399 on contract.
    07-17-12 06:39 PM
    what�s a point of buying a new phone if you have 90% same experience?
    Do you know of any manufacturer that changes 90% of the device and its operating system with each new release? That's a fairly unrealistic expectation isn't it? Would you expect that from at car manufacturer for example? Do you expect that from BlackBerry 10 when it releases version 1.1 of its operating system?

Do you believe that BlackBerry OS 7 is 90% different from BlackBerry OS 4?

What about Windows 8, is it 90% different from Windows 98?

The answer is no.
    Last edited by xandermac; 07-17-12 at 06:44 PM.
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    07-17-12 06:41 PM
    Apple has a great farm team.

When my children were youngsters in grade school it was Apple who made computers easily available to the School Boards, schools, teachers and students.

As the years went by my 3 children had to have the iPods. No other brand would do.

My first computer (other than Commodore, etc) was and Apple 2C.

I build my own computers and built desktop PCs for each of them.

I bought them all business class HP/Compaq laptops when they got older.

As soon as they started university all 3 of them gave me back the HP laptops and I had to spring for 3 MacBook Pros. Go figure.

So Dad decides he needs a new laptop. Dad buys a MacBook Pro 15".

Dad learns after upgrading to Lion that it is a battery killer and Apple will not acknowledge nor fix.

The graphics on the MBP are great. There is no "delete" key but they are nice units.

What is really nice is a feature called "Boot Camp" that lets you load Windows OS on the MacBook Pros.

Now my MBP has dual boot either Lion O/S or Windows 7 Ultimate. Now I have a laptop that meets my needs.

My 3 MacBook Pro toting children all have BlackBerry Bold phones.

Sorry if I ramble on.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-17-12 07:00 PM
    The same could be said of BB. Why buy the latest bold when it was a slight upgrade from the previous bold. That was especially true for the storm series.

Come to think of it, one had to choose with the early curves on wether you wanted a GPS or wifi capable phone.

Exactly....
    07-17-12 07:45 PM
    I've used almost every platform, excluding Windows. The reason I use and stay with Apple devices is simply because they work, and they work well. They may not have flash, they may not be the best aesthetically, they may not have expandable memory. But, what they do have, for me, is the best, smoothest user interface and ecosystem. Everything on this phone works exactly like its supposed to. Are there things Android and BlackBerry do better? Certainly. But overall, in the big scheme of things, it's just tough to beat an i4 or 4S.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    07-17-12 08:21 PM
    I've used almost every platform, excluding Windows. The reason I use and stay with Apple devices is simply because they work, and they work well. They may not have flash, they may not be the best aesthetically, they may not have expandable memory. But, what they do have, for me, is the best, smoothest user interface and ecosystem. Everything on this phone works exactly like its supposed to. Are there things Android and BlackBerry do better? Certainly. But overall, in the big scheme of things, it's just tough to beat an i4 or 4S.
    Is your avatar the picture the deceased co-founder of Apple? It looks familiar.
    07-17-12 08:33 PM
    Is your avatar the picture the deceased co-founder of Apple? It looks familiar.

Yes it is him.
    07-17-12 09:29 PM
    Why not buy Apple products? Their on top of the smartphone food chain, great product, great service, great accessories, great apps....I could go on, but you should get the message by now. I choose NOT to be blinded by MY choice of smartphone, but understand that there are other great brands in the market of cellphones.
    07-18-12 10:09 AM
    I've used PC, BB, Android, and Apple stuff. Apple stuff isn't that much more expensive, and price isn't what I care about. It's just really attractive stuff and it works well and it's pretty simple. BB was simple too, but it wasn't attractive anymore. I've got an iMac and it beats the heck out of Windows everywhere. It was even cool unpacking the box, and all I did was plug it into the wall, the ethernet cord, and the printer and fire it up. It connected all by itself and was ready to use. My wife's iPhone takes great pix, which is important to her. I think Apple just "gets it" is what I think.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 07-18-12 at 12:04 PM.
    pilsbury likes this.
    07-18-12 12:01 PM
    Do you know of any manufacturer that changes 90% of the device and its operating system with each new release? That's a fairly unrealistic expectation isn't it? Would you expect that from at car manufacturer for example? Do you expect that from BlackBerry 10 when it releases version 1.1 of its operating system?

Do you believe that BlackBerry OS 7 is 90% different from BlackBerry OS 4?

What about Windows 8, is it 90% different from Windows 98?

The answer is no.
    That's not what I write.
    07-18-12 12:36 PM
    You all care too much about what phones others use, lol.
    FigureThisOut and Speedygi like this.
    07-18-12 12:53 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD