I pretty much get why people would want to jailbreak but I don't get why they'd want to put up with what seems like all the hassles with a tethered jailbreak. I'm new to all of this so if I understand this all correctly, if I have to shut my phone down or if it runs out of battery power completely I have to connect it thru my computer and go thru a similar process to the jailbreak every time I reboot?

I'm, by nature, stupid or curious (take your pick) enough to want to do this or at least look into it (I've had my first iPhone less than 2 weeks....lol) but a) no matter how much material I read it still looks daunting to me and b) and most importantly, the whole tethered thing scares me off doing it even more.

How does this NOT make jailbreaking an iPhone 4 with OS 4.2.1 more of a pain in the a** than it's worth again? This is the part I do not understand.
    What if, for some reason, you have to shut off your phone and you're not close to your computer at the time? Wouldn't that mean some apps on your phone are not going to work when you power it back up?

Forgive me in advance if my newb status clearly gives me away as a complete doofus.

I just don't see how it could be worth the hassle at this point but am willing to listen in case I'm completely mistaken.
    01-10-11 11:23 AM
    Plus there's a little hidden risk factor to it too.....

Now there are websites where you basically just connect your phone to our PC, go to the site, and click "jailbreak now" (or something to that effect).

Have these sites been vetted? Are the sites themselves vulnerable to attack and the possibility of malicious code getting placed on your phone? Etc.....

When I upgrade my wife to the VZW iPhone, we will not jailbreak it.
    01-10-11 12:14 PM
    The only risk factor on that one site that is mentioned it could only jailbreak 4.0 iOS, and it was a PDF exploit that once it was used to jailbreak the phone, you could fix the exploit via Cydia, and even non jb'n devices got this update with 4.0.1 I believe

I love the fact I have a custom theme on my phone, **** I can even go into the root with iFile and make and/or pick and choose my icons at will...
    01-10-11 12:37 PM
    I can understand why people would JB their 4.2.1 iPhones. A tethered JB isn't a big of a PITA as it's made out to be. I think most people don't power off their phones, or let it get so low it powers off on its own. The only times I can think of that I've purposefully powered off my phone was to upgrade firmware or when something crashed the mobile substrate. I've uninstalled the extensions that caused the crashes, so my phones hasn't powered off in over a month now. Furthermore, the process of restarting your phone tethered isn't that difficult. I can see how for some, it's worth the extra annoyance to get the additional features available via JB.
    01-10-11 01:07 PM
    What if you traveled? Wouldn't you have to go without? I guess that's the situation I was thinking about.
    01-10-11 01:16 PM
    just put it in airplane mode while you were in the air and most people have laptops these days could keep it charged for most of the flight with the laptop and lot of newer jets have outlets to let you charge such devices lol so even then it's not that big a deal
    01-10-11 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD